What happened to the price of tubes?!

soros-1.jpg

Klaus Schwab: Why Does This Fascist Have Influence?

Biden the Clown - Etsy

The loss of Shuguang plus the Russian sanctions created a pinch on supply, which were then amplified by panic buying and probably some price gouging. People kept buying them though, even at the inflated prices, which ends up setting a benchmark for what they're actually worth to buyers. Tubes are a niche commodity with few producers, and plenty of buyers will pay the asking price, so there's no incentive to decrease pricing when costs decrease. China's still in the game but I don't think it's enough to keep the others in check.

there's no incentive to decrease pricing when costs decrease. China's still in the game but I don't think it's enough to keep the others in check.
Market competition is the incentive. Once supply exceeds demand sellers will reduce prices to attract buyers as much as they can while still comfortably making a profit.

You get the Tung Sols for your Twin yet? heh heh
not yet, just back from work trip; and need $ for deck repair and painting... I have the pages bookmarked for the Matched Sextet of Tung-Sol 6L6GC, all the preamp tubes, and a re-cap kit. Still not sure what to do for the caps no longer made: 750uF/3V and 150uF/6V cathode bypass capacitors. :confused:

not yet, just back from work trip; and need $ for deck repair and painting... I have the pages bookmarked for the Matched Sextet of Tung-Sol 6L6GC, all the preamp tubes, and a re-cap kit. Still not sure what to do for the caps no longer made: 750uF/3V and 150uF/6V cathode bypass capacitors. :confused:
I think a good tech will be able to sort that out. Might even want to dedicate a thread about it here because there are so many knowledgeable amp guys here that someone will be able to point you in the right direction. I wish I could help you further brother, but I just sing and play and don't know jack about electronics. But I'm enthused about your new rig!!!!

Reactions: rsm
Tube prices are actually lower now than 2 years ago.
Ive not followed the titty for taddy trade war tariffs as i stocked up before that shit.
And i buy NOS so ... yes Putin told New Sensor no more tubes when Ukraine war broke.
Tube prices doubled overnight. Frankly no current production tube is worth NOS prices.
They can have em.

@rsm maybe I'm wrong but I think a couple other value caps could be wired together to give the correct values....
thanks, have to see how that's done.

never biased a sextet of power tubes either.

this would my first foray into amp repair, so I plan to take my time and learn...I'll do as much as I can myself then take it to a local tech.

good news is that I recognize my limitations in this area. :D

thanks, have to see how that's done.

never biased a sextet of power tubes either.

this would my first foray into amp repair, so I plan to take my time and learn...I'll do as much as I can myself then take it to a local tech.

good news is that I recognize my limitations in this area. :D
I would contact a good tube place by phone and ask if they can provide that matching service to a sextet. I think Tube Depot offers that service, probably some of the other places as well since there are guys using high wattage bass amps and other rigs that use more than a quartet.

Reactions: rsm
Back