What is a Bogner Shiva comparable to?

Im just saying everything he modded before production amps were marshall based mods and it just carried on with a twist. Its all opinion I had one of the first Ubers made hated it. A Cameron amp is marshall based. Basically if it overdrives its marshall based

I thought it was supposed to be the Uberschall on that album. I don’t think the 20th anniversary Bogner’s even came out yet when that album was released
In an interview they said they had a prototype shiva or a one off they had in studio . I remember because it did t know what shiva was until then . But Uberschall was used too .

If you get hold of a shiva with silver back panel and horizontal power tubes And In Memory of Rachael written on the back, you got one of the first 15. 520 on the plates. The uber I had was two 6550`s proto. Change the midrange on a Mesa Mark to Marshall spec and you got a really close Cameron.

In an interview they said they had a prototype shiva or a one off they had in studio . I remember because it did t know what shiva was until then . But Uberschall was used too .
That’s interesting. I would never choose any version shiva I’ve tried if I were going for that kinda vibe/sound (even boosted). My Uber, on the hand, seems perfect for that kinda stuff

That’s interesting. I would never choose any version shiva I’ve tried if I were going for that kinda vibe/sound (even boosted). My Uber, on the hand, seems perfect for that kinda stuff
I was surprised by shiva in person I must admit . But I’d rather have Uber as well

The Shiva definitely feels like it was inspired by the JCM 800, but it deviates just enough from it that it really does its own thing. It's an interesting amp for sure. The poweramp feels relatively stiff so it always preserves the detail in the high end, but the low end doesn't really feel like it is filtered going into the preamp so the gain can get spongy when you turn it up, but in a really cool way. It's a great amp and I wouldn't mind owning one some day.

I think this is the "truest" youtube clip I've found in terms of capturing what the amp is really like:

Jerry Cantrell's "degradation trip" album was recorded with a Shiva, and it's a very unique tone for sure. Not exactly smooth, but very crunchy. Sounds much different than a Marshall to me.

The best Shiva tone I’ve ever heard was Rafael Morera’s (spelling) on Paul Stanley’s Live To Win, check the live video out, killer tone.

What's going on RT members! I just had a quick question for anyone who has played a Shiva, or have any experience/knowledge of a Shiva.

What amp is the Shiva based off of? From what I understand an Uberschall is a super hot rodded 800 type of amp, and the Ecstasy is a plexi/800 type of thing? What about a Shiva?

Never had a chance to play on. No music stores by my house carry one. Just wondering what the deal with these amps are.

Thanks!
The Shivas changed a fair bit over the years. I had an early one which was a "In memory of Rachel" El34 head and a couple 6L6 variants from a few years laters. (with and without the bright switches) They all have an outstanding clean channel and a very wooly and vintage voiced lead channel. The dirty side is in the Marshall camp but much darker voiced and can be a little tubby sounding. A boost helps a lot to tighten it up, but it is still a thick tone. The 20th anniversary is a totally different animal. Much, much more aggressive, tighter and way more gain. The Ecstasy is nothing remotely like a Plexi or an 800 and the Uberschall is absolutely nothing like an 800 either. Not at all by any stretch of the imagination. Shiva is much more in that camp, but still very much it's own thing.

I’ve had almost every version of it, EL34 silver and green back, 6l6 green and 20th.

The 20th and the regular Shiva are different amps, IMO. The 20th is more fluid while the regular is very unforgiving. I didn’t bond with the 20th.

The regular Shiva sounds better than the 20th IMO. More growl and kerrang. The old silver version sounded the best to my ears.

I always felt like I fighting with it half the time due to its unforgiving nature, hence not owning one anymore. Both channels sound awesome though, so YMMV.

The standard shiva is aimed at moderate high gain vintage voicing lovers, its thick woody open tone is something to be experienced. Some love it and some not so much. It's not a fluid, easy playing type feel or forgiving tone on the lead channel, you have to really dig in and get the power amp working.

What's it based off of? Well, it's based off a few amps actually. The 1st gain stage is shared by the clean and the lead channel and its 100% Soldano with 220k plates and 1.8k/1uF cathode. The 2nd stage is Bogner Ecstasy 100B (aka classic also) with a 100k plate and 2.3k/1.5uF. The final stage and tone stack (EQ) is all Marshall with 820/.68uF and 33k/470p EQ. The power amp is unique and designed to be running on the edge at full tilt with high B+ voltage and it runs hot. Great amp indeed. I ended up modding mine because I love the Ecstasy blue channel but made it be able to go back to the shiva voicing with a switch located on the back.

Man this is so bad ass and the epitome of what I have always wanted to have. Blue channel amp w great clean channel. Did you do this mod your self?

Saving Abel dude has been using one since 2006 or so. We played a few shows with them and i remember it always sounding very unique.

Loaned my amp (early Shiva EL34) out to some friends who made this record a while back. As best I understand, almost every guitar was the clean channel w/ pedals, into a couple different cabs.

Charn - These Sins of Mine

To comment on an earlier reply, there's nothing like it. Shivas are kind-of like other amps, but nothing else is like a Shiva. I know various guitars and pedals were used on this recording but the Shiva, to me, is always there. Woody as can be, low mid stuff happening, but not at the expense of anything else. Until you have it in a group setting, running hot and using it's own voice in a mix, you haven't heard it at it's best. When it's doing what it's meant to do it's an amp that makes you want for nothing.

Back