What is the easiest floor multi-effects/modeler?

overthemountain

All, would like to get some input from experienced folks. What is the best floor multi-effects and amp-sim unit for live use? For me, "best" means easiest and fastest to learn and use while still sounding great. Am generally not much of a tweaker so don't need endless tweakability - just want something I can setup, maybe download some presets to, and start using live as a plug and play rig for short gigs pretty easily, using either their backline or just the PA so I don't need to haul amps/cabs/boards. Set leans toward rock/metal so good overdrives are important- need some standard modulation/delay stuff but nothing too crazy. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help! :rock:

swamptrashstompboxes":3jfkdnlz said:
Budget? And how good do you want to sound.

This is my first foray into digital/modeling so would prefer to keep it on the economical side - was looking at a used Helix or a Headrush in the $1,000-ish range and would prefer to stay around that cost unless it’s a huge step up. but still want to sound reasonably close to the real thing. Am used to playing with higher-end amps and effects so want it to sound pretty accurate but doesn’t need to be perfect.

I had a Kemper but traded it for a couple Splawn amps. Now I have an HX Stomp and I actually prefer it over the Kemper. With the Kemper I was constantly buying profiles and tweaking them. The HX stomp just sits at my desk and I switch between 3-4 patches. With my personality the limitations of the Stomp suite me. It really depends on what is more important to you. If the amp tone is more important go with Kemper or Axe FX. Go with line 6 or Axe FX if you want better effects. If you don't want an overwhelming amount of options/settings stay away from Axe FX. Honestly they are at a point that any of them will give you usable tone and effects just some have an edge in certain aspects.

I just made the switch myself and settled on an Atomic Amplifire 12 into a Powerstage 170-2x12 cab.

I tried the Hx stomp for a few weeks...it sounded great as well. The Stomps UI and effect presets are better than the atomic, but I thought the atomics amps sounded better and I would have had to add external switches to the stomp.

Also the stomp is limited to six blocks and I wanted to run a split signal with one output having a cab sim for FOH and one without...this eats up another block, so you hit the limit pretty quickly.

Part of me wishes I would have got the Amplifire 6 for a smaller size, but the larger screen and extra switches of the 12 is nice. Fx are a little harder to dial in, but they sound good once you do and are very tweakable. But I'm not much of an fx guy.

I've been playing a Friedman Marsha since 2010 and feel this new rig is 98% there. Amplifire, Powerstage and a few other pedals all fit on a pedal train jr board...one power and speaker cable and I'm ready to go.

I use an Ax Fx AX8 and am very happy with it, for what it is. It has virtually any effect you could want/need and the amp models are very good imo. If you pair it with the Frac pad app on an iPad/iPhone it's very easy to tweak as needed. There are presets that will suit most needs. You can also get crazy deep in the programming, if that's your thing.

ClintN667":16h5ozc9 said:
I had a Kemper but traded it for a couple Splawn amps. Now I have an HX Stomp and I actually prefer it over the Kemper. With the Kemper I was constantly buying profiles and tweaking them. The HX stomp just sits at my desk and I switch between 3-4 patches. With my personality the limitations of the Stomp suite me. It really depends on what is more important to you. If the amp tone is more important go with Kemper or Axe FX. Go with line 6 or Axe FX if you want better effects. If you don't want an overwhelming amount of options/settings stay away from Axe FX. Honestly they are at a point that any of them will give you usable tone and effects just some have an edge in certain aspects.
yeah I was going to say HX Stomp or Helix LT. Super simple.

Thanks for all the input guys. After listening to a ton of demos/reviews online I'm getting an Amplifire 12 and a Headrush Pedalboard and will give them both a try.

I like the Boss Ms-3 for live...It will switch your amp and has loops for external pedals, very good built in fx like reverb , delay but also a noise gate and tube-screamers built in.

Back