What is the piece of gear you have been most disappointed in trying or purchasing?

5150 III any revision and axe fx. Played both before buying and without the hype train they both sound anemic.

Killer Kali ++

This was the amp that solidified my learning curve that more gained-out amps aren’t my thing. This amp had a ton of gain and was super focused, but it had no meat or body. Just laser focus and tons of gain. I know a lot of guys dig this amp, but it was not for me. It reminded me a lot of a JVM 410 I had not long after it. Both sounded and felt very similar. I’ll take a stock JMP/JCM or Superlead any day over those type amps.

Bogner Poopershall and XTC….more aggravating than dissappointed I guess. Thought they would be cooler…

Same. Been through 2 Uberschalls and one XTC. The Uberschalls didn't have enough balls or gain, not as much as I thought it would. It felt tight, but very sterile. XTC is.. alright.

Other amps I hated.. Omega Granophyre was disappointing, might as well have no bass knob. Badlander 100 sucked, not the "boosted modern recto" it was marketed as, my Rev G had more balls, which I sold to buy the Badlander :bash:. SLO30 felt like a wimpy dick little baby amp.

I think I learned the most when I got my first "boutique" amp, a soldano SL-60. Up to that point I had only had a Gorilla, a Peavey Bandit 65, and a Marshall JCM 900 model 4500. It was easy to get the gain I was after at manageable levels with the marshall. When I first turned on the SL-60 I thought, where is the gain? That thing needed to be LOUD to sound even halfway decent and still didn't have the gain of the marshall. I was surprised, perhaps disappointed, but mostly surprised...

Last edited:
CAE 3+ preamp. That one Megadeth album and internet hype led me to believe it would be a monster, but it was just kind of buzzy and loose in both overdrive channels. The CAA OD100 Standard Plus sounds much better.

Last edited:
I've been disappointed with gear many times over the years but the one that comes to the forefront..Splawn..I listened to many demo/video's etc and thought....these might work so, I ordered 2 heads (Quickrods) and 2 4x12's and couldn't stand them! The lesson learned way back then?..Do not buy anything just because it sounds good in a video..lol!

CAA OD100 - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't leaps and bounds better than the H&K Switchblade I was playing at the time. (IE, it wasn't any better at all)
Marshall JCM 800 2210 (1983) - Very quiet! Didn't sound bad, but just sort of gutless.
Marshall JCM 800 2204 (1985) - I didn't really get a chance too really crank up the master too much, but it just sort of sounded bland for me, I don't think I would seriously revisit a 2204/2203.

Mine was a Splawn Quickrod 2006. I played one of the 3 preamp tube models at the music store and it was great. I ordered one and received one of the first 4 preamp tube models. It was a very sterile and stiff playing amp. Not at all like the one I demoed.

Mesa Mark III - Purple, Blue, and Green stripe. Hated everyone of them immediately. Something in the high-end that just never goes away. Much prefer the Mark IV and Mark V.

Friedman's - I just don't think I'm a fan of high gain Marshall style amps. I tried out a Smallbox and that was great for dirty cleans and crunch. I think that's where Marshall's are awesome, but metal not so much.

Revv Generator Mk II - Overly compressed, almost synthetic sounding, and generally boring. Just get a 5153 for a similar sound at a way lower price.
Had the exact same experience with the Mark III. I hated the high end frequencies of it, but i could hear some potential in it, so I tried out a IVb and fell in love with that amp. I've had it for many tears now.

Peppers dirty tree. And Fortin grind.
Really? That’s the only pedal of my board that will take my amps into a certain sonic characteristic that I love. And I have a KSR Eros too which, after being praised by somebody I trust, seemed to completely make any of my amps sound thin. I must say that’s about the worst $240 I spent recently.

Last edited:
Really? That’s the only pedal of my board that will take him into a certain sonic characteristic that I love. And I have a KSR Eros too which, after being praised by somebody I trust, seemed to completely make any of my amps sound thin. I must say that’s about the worst $240 I spent recently.

My buddy bought the KSR Ceres preamp pedal (which seems to get a lot of hype) and struggled to make it sound even halfway decent. I tried it myself at his band practice (i was filling in on bass while they found a permanent replacement) and it just felt and sounded like a cheap old SS amp

He sold it pretty quickly

My list of disappointments:

Bogner 101b - What a mess
Bogner Shiva (greenback) - No bottom end on the gain channel, great cleans though
PT100 - Amazing clean but weird gain channel that sound’s nothing like a Marshall
DSL - Cool green channel but the red channel had no bottom end
AxeFX IIXL+ Still trying to sell this damn thing
Celestion CB H75 - Really harsh top ends

Marshall JVM410h: I really wanted to love this amp. There are some good tones in it, but for 4 channels with 3 gain modes each, not nearly enough. At least some of the published mods appear to have been intended to address gripes similar to what I had, but I also may not have been Marshall's target for that model. Perhaps bettter for modern metal players??

Hughes & Kettner Triamp mkII and mkIII: too processed and compressed sounding. I'm not the right person for that sound.

Reactions: ZFG
I've to say that I rarely had an amp below 50W where I really liked the touch response and tone and if the 35 is anything like the 25 I don't think spending more time with it would've made much of a difference.
I don’t like anything under 100 unless it’s a 50 watt or Marshall or a D60. Those two still got the 100 watt feel at times

I tried some Krank amp head like 15 years ago at a Sam Ash and couldn't get it to sound good for my high gain tastes. It was the first and only time I've ever seen one in the wild.

It doesn't help that I probably didn't know how to dial in that amp also.

Really? That’s the only pedal of my board that will take him into a certain sonic characteristic that I love. And I have a KSR Eros too which, after being praised by somebody I trust, seemed to completely make any of my amps sound thin. I must say that’s about the worst $240 I spent recently.

The Eros is a specific type of boost. Mainly for 8 strings and similar low tunings, or making an amp like a dual rec djenty.

I had one of the prototypes for a little while, but didn't wind up buying one because it's not my style.

Marshall JVM410h: I really wanted to love this amp. There are some good tones in it, but for 4 channels with 3 gain modes each, not nearly enough. At least some of the published mods appear to have been intended to address gripes similar to what I had, but I also may not have been Marshall's target for that model. Perhaps bettter for modern metal players??

Hughes & Kettner Triamp mkII and mkIII: too processed and compressed sounding. I'm not the right person for that sound.
I hated the JVM410h as well. It really only had two sounds in it, and both were anemic, imho.

Reactions: ZFG
Landry LS30
It wasn't a bad sounding amp but I could never get it to sound "how I wanted or needed it to.
" I tried different tubes, and 10 band EQ in the loop. it had no "Kerrang" to it at all
Bill gets some in his videos , I don't know what he has going on in his shop.
The other guitarist in my current band also had one ( we figured small light, sounded great in the videos)
he got rid of his as well for the same reasons.
I so wanted to like it but it was just lacking certain mid frequencies I was looking for (found them in my Splawn)

The Eros is a specific type of boost. Mainly for 8 strings and similar low tunings, or making an amp like a dual rec djenty.

I had one of the prototypes for a little while, but didn't wind up buying one because it's not my style.
i am struggling...lol...i want to keep it...but i don't play the 8 string enough, nor do I have a Mesa Recto, i do have a 5150 and a Mark iii now which i think this pedal does not suit, as it i believe sucks out too much low end.

Back