What is...

• Thread starter Deleted member 38657
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38657

A good stereo capable amp to emulate my jcm800 for bedroom purposes? Looking for something that handles pedals well and doesn't break up immediately if being pushed by active or 16k+ pickups on anything higher than volume 2. I'm tired of using my headphones through my me-80, and I have two bedroom combos that don't a great job (fender mustang I v2, and a vox... thing) at what I'm wanting. Any suggestions or am I stuck with headphones for low volume high gain stereo scenarios? Most of the work I do is directly through software, but I want that raw sound for solo jamming as I get lost in the moment a bit more. Thanks for your time!

You could try a Kemper.

They're perfect for "realistic" practicing, gigging and recording at any volume IMHO.

You could start with headphones and if you like it enough, buy a Kemper Kone (cabinet, powered or unpowered).
Thanks for the suggestion, I have looked at Kempers a little bit, but I am hesitant that it would be no better than my computer. Do they drive the cabinets pretty well without coming off like a studio monitor? Should I seek specific speakers out to pair well with the kemper for my purposes? Sorry if this seems like a noob question, but I have only used tube amps, cheap modelers, and/or modeling software for some decades now and not much in the way of quality live emulation equipment.

Go away noob. :LOL:

OK:
Way-better than any plugin you can run on your computer. Sounds and feels like tubes.
Yes, they're brilliant through cabs. You can buy a powered unit or use an in-between amp.
Seeking out specific speakers? That's why I suggested the Kemper Kab. It emulates all the popular drivers (speakers) and you can even control the sound dispersion (narrow through to wide). Amp-in-the-room on-tap.

All that said, running it through a half-decent set of studio monitors in your room will still sound awesome, as it will through headphones. That's what we recording types do and in a studio that's what they'll do if you take it in to record.

As a bonus, the headphone amp is beyond-awesome and seriously delivers.

Worth noting that "The Captain" (owner of Andertons music store in the UK) said at the end of part 2 that it was the best video he's ever made in terms of "what a revelation".

Another one:

I’m really happy with the Captor X….I had a Kemper and it was cool but I always worried that I would get too comfortable playing on something without tubes. Also even more importantly I had my main amp sitting there not getting used.

Anyway I bought the Captor X and it worked out so nicely that I sold the Kemper.

I run my head into the Captor X and then from that use the XLR’s into my interface/studio monitors as well as the speaker out to a Mesa 1X12 mini recto cab. It’s great for bedroom noise levels and it keeps me playing through my main rig.

I like the idea of that, but my main rig is at my brother's in Thurston County because there are acres to be as loud as we want. Like really loud. I'd prefer to keep it that way, tbh. :sneaky:

Its been awhile since I used a Kemper but I had a Quad Cortex and a JCM800 2204 at the same time. Ended up selling my 2204. The QC was pretty much spot on. I used it with a Powerstation 2 or a KSR PA50 but you would likely need a different power amp for stereo. You could also try to find an amp in the box type pedal like the PAL800 and find a stereo power amp.

I second the notion of a Captor X.

For playing at home I simply go amp -> Captor -> Powered monitor. Done. Can have my amp cranked, and play it at speaking volume. Sounds awesome.

I appreciate the suggestions everyone! I like the Captor X idea so I may give that a go for the future, but I think I'm going to with the Kemper after going down the rabbit hole. If it's as wondrous as perceived, I'll probably be posting up my Dual Rectifier and Twin Reverb sooner or later to clear up some space. The 800 stays in my life either way since it's been in the family longer than I have, haha. I'll post some "melodies" once I've had the Kemper in my hands for a bit. Thanks again, everyone!

Wise choice I reckon bro'. :thumbsup:

Load boxes and whatnot limit you to the amps you have, whereas for similar money to 1 good amp you can have literally thousands if you take all the different mic'ing contexts (when the Profiles were created) into account.

It's the giant rabbit hole of the amp world. I'd suggest trying to stick with what sounds good to you rather than get caught up in auditioning tens of thousands of Profiles.

Back