What Synergy modules would you like to see next?

I would like a syn-100, not really sure it’s practical with the syn-50 being out but I generally prefer 100 watt amps for punch and lowend.

For someone who knows nothing about Synergy stuff, is it just manufacturers make preamps and put them into this power amp? Is it cost effective versus buying the actual amps?

Like instead of spending thousands on a Mesa could I just drop a few hundo on the preamp (assuming I already owned a Synergy thing)?

Are they made by the original manufacturers or are the approximations from Synergy?

For someone who knows nothing about Synergy stuff, is it just manufacturers make preamps and put them into this power amp? Is it cost effective versus buying the actual amps?

Like instead of spending thousands on a Mesa could I just drop a few hundo on the preamp (assuming I already owned a Synergy thing)?

Are they made by the original manufacturers or are the approximations from Synergy?
Pretty much. They're designed by the original manufacturers but built at BAD where a bunch of other high-end stuff is made, Friedman Soldano etc. The exception being the Mesa clone module, which was designed by Fryette and isn't licensed.

How close to the originals are they if they're stuck with the Synergy power section?

Did I quick Google on it and it looks like a lot of EL34 based amps (Marshall/Friedman/etc) have to go through 6L6s...

How close to the originals are they if they're stuck with the Synergy power section?

Did I quick Google on it and it looks like a lot of EL34 based amps (Marshall/Friedman/etc) have to go through 6L6s...
When I ran a Synergy rig I had the Morgan AC module and the Friedman BE module both running through the Synergy power amp which is a Fryette design and runs 6L6's, they were both convincing. I think Dave voiced the modules to work with that power amp so it's probably got some tweaks to compensate. At the end of the day it doesn't sound exactly like the head but frankly you can grab two BE100's from different years and might not sound or feel exactly the same either because Dave is a mad scientist and is always updating the design.

I really liked the Synergy stuff, definitely the most straightforward implementation of a Pre/Power setup I've had. But I did end up going back to heads since I haven't played live in a few years.

Having almost all the modules the Syn 50, Syn 5050 and a VHT 2/50/2, my 2 cents:
(I would advise to everyone who have not seen the Fryette Malcontetns youtube about poweramps and powertubes to watch it.
The tube type wether it is 6L6/EL34/5881/6CA7 etc. are like pistons in an engine. They have an effect, but lot less than other parts like the output transformer and the behaviour of the phase inverter, It's all 1 big system, changing a single part may not result in the desired way. )
The Syn5050 is a modified Fryette LXII, not as hyped on the highs and the lows and a bit more compressed.
The 2/50/2 is a lot more open and dynamic, I prefer it to the Syn5050.
The best of all of them is the Syn-50, it's a Bruce Egnater design, not a Fryette, but is has that extra 10% what makes the modular system amazing.

As for new modules?
A Recto preamp at least the real early ones are almost 1:1 SLO preams, so there's no real reason for it.
5150 is an SLO variant too.
Beside, the SLO module is amazing. One of the erlier ones but still amazing.
The 3 other oustanding one are the AC for the AC30 vibes, killer. The Bogner Uberschall, simply crushing. The Fryette Deliverance, it's so good I bought a D120.

New modules?
High gain is pretty much covered with the Savage, Uberschall, Extacy, Friedman HBE, Pitbull, 2C+
The problem is, that a lot of open crunch sounds are heavily relying on the poweramp section, and it is really hard to replicate it in a preamp module, for obvius reasons. But a:

Hiwatt DR
Lower gain Plexi
%13 RSA23
Park 45
CAE 3+
Matchless DC30
Naylor (Friedman Naked)

would be really cool, edge of breakup/crucnch sounds with slight compression and harmonic bloom for flavors.

Last edited:

There are some tones that work better in the Synergy/MTS system than others. For example Marshall-type tones work well.
As for tubes, I think you can switch between 6L6 an EL34. The MTS line was even able the use KT88/6550.

The modders and developers try to attribute the changes of the different poweramps to the preamp. Some modules are 95% there and within the variance of the ampline it models.

Think of Synergy as a tube based modeling system. If you are after that one tone, get the real amp. If you wanna switch from Fender cleans to Marshall Highgain to Slo High Gain to Engl High Gain for a fraction of the price, it is your ticket.

For it self, Synergy sounds incredible and holds up it‘s own to the boutique stuff out there as the modules were designed by the same guys. But it will stay a modelling system as you change felixibillity for the closest approximation to the real amp.

At this point I'd like to see Synergy release anything. But from a business perspective I understand why nothing has be put out. With all the part shortages & production delays it'd probably piss potential buyers off more that something great was released but sorry guys we only made 6 than putting the release on hold until they could have enough stock.

As for what I would like to see come next, something based on a Peavey amp that's not a 6505/5150. A Triple X or Peavey Classic module would be damn cool. Rob's gonna be modding an old Randall module into one based on a JSX for me.

I also think a Synergy module of an Orange micro terror and/or micro dark would be a great addition too. And might as well throw in a Rockerverb or OR while they're at it.

Really, most of the amps people listed so far that they'd want to see can be done by Jaded Faith or Salvation if you have some old Randall-Egnater modules laying around.

My picks would be:

1. DR.Z MAZ MK II
2. Dual Rectifier
3. 5150 II
4. Orange Rockerverb MK III
5. Wizard MTL
6. Driftwood Purple Nightmare
7. Mezzabarba MZero
8. Red Plate Magica
9. H&K Triamp MK III 2/3B
10. Dover DA-50

Or:

1. CAE 3+
2. Bogner Fish Shark/Brown
3. Friedman JEL
4. Wizard MC II
5. KSR Colossus 3/4
6. Bogner Snorkler (Everybody wants one!)
7. Fender Super Reverb
8. EVH 5150 III 2/3
9. Omega Granophyre
10. Diezel Paul

I would like to see some holes filled in the variety of options that are out there.
Whether the respective amp manufactures would be on board is another question altogether, of course. ;)

What say you?
I would love to see some Wizard modules!

The Synergy lineup is already really solid. Anything new would just be a slight variation on something that already exists. I understand they need to keep releasing new products to stay relevant, but I don't see what releasing a Recto or 5150 is going to give if you already have the Uber and SLO.

I guess Orange could be interesting if you're wanting something more doom oriented, but any of their more modern amps, like the Rockerverb and Terrors, could easily be replicated with an 800 or Friedman module. Wizard and Larry are never going to release a $400 module when their amps cost 10x that. Aren't they just high end modded Marshalls, anyway? Plenty of that in the Synergy system already. Driftwood, Mezzabarba, KSR, etc are all covered close enough by the Uber and SLO, too.

If you look at Rob's and Antonio's list of mods for the Randall modules there's a lot of variety. Orange amps, Framus Cobra, Splawn, Naylor, Krankenstein, Bad Cat, hybrids like the Voxless or Plexi-Tweed. Synergy could always do some releases of things like that if there's no copyright violations.

Back