What to use for cleaning frets?

KentC

I've got a guitar coming to me that's been sitting in the case for about a year and a half and the frets have got a little oxidation on them. No rust, just oxidation. I've never really had to deal with the issue before so I'm not sure what's the best route to take for cleaning them. Steel wol? Fine grit sand paper?Any advice much appreciated :)

As long as you mask the fretboard very well I use that eagle one wadding metal polish... the actual name escapes me at the moment. I've had the same tin like 8 years. Works like a charm and you're not getting dust everywhere. Tiny finger tip size wad does all the frets. Honestly any metal rubbing compound is good too, just mask well and don't over-do it. If you steel wool and get "wool dust" on your pickups use a screw driver to attract the dust to it, don't use a magnet or something. I'm sure you're aware and smarter than that just offering up in case you hadn't thought of that.

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":17hi2p30 said:
Basically my whole soap box was because I hate steel wool fibers, they get everywhere hahaha

Well there goes my Christmas present I had lined up for you lol. Thanks for the rant though, good read :)

mrhiwatt":246yp9qe said:
I use gorgamyte also . Works great
Mrhiwatt
Goramyte does a good enough job. If you want the best use the papers. I once finished with the papers and used Gorgamyte.
It dulled the job I had done and had to go back over it with the last two papers to get back the shine.
It just depends on how much effort one wants to put out and the job they are happy with. I found using the papers to last much longer as well. Tape your board off. Gorgamyte will leave allot of black residue on your board after doing the frets with it. It turns black quickly.It's a pain to get it out of a maple board.

Gorgomyte-Front-e1421248884407.jpg

Back