What's your favorite guitar and why?

It would be my ‘09 PRS DGT 10-Top.

The guitar plays and sounds amazing.

It can cover a lot of genres of music and does it well.

IMG_1481.png

2009 carvin dc127 ....

I had a bunch of carvins over the years but this one is by far the best tone wise and playing wise. A bunch of them I had were kinda dead and lifeless, this one is LOUD and has an aggressive AF pick for rhythm playing.

Mahogany body and neck
Ebony fret board
Med jumbo nickel frets
Suhr doug aldrich pickups with full size cts pots.
14 " radius

Have played every show. Rehearsal, writing session, and like 5 European tours with her.... been to like 28 countries and survived living in a trailer / tour bus environment....

Her name is Big Red .... and she will be with me even when I'm dead =)

Here is a Pic right before a re string ....

The carvins to me sound best with the 3 x 3 headstock rather than the 6 in line. The way carvin / kiesel does their break angles is subtle at 11 degrees or so and with the 6 in line , they chirp and make a shit ton of over tones that I really didn't like. The maple cap Def also gives this one a certain character in its mids.

To me it's the best formula of specs for tone with this guitar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230917_220718_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917_220718_Photos.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
This one. There's a resonance with this thing I can feel when I play it. Never experienced that with any other guitar I've played. Call me weird, I'm ok with that.

Attachments

• Ex_20230917_221933926.jpg
    Ex_20230917_221933926.jpg
    823.6 KB · Views: 40
This. Parts strat with Koa body and Brazilian RW neck and fingerboard. Holmes pickups. Rebuilt by Pete Skermetta. Why? I’ve played it daily for 25+ years, played a ton of gigs with it, it plays great and it sounds great.

It's a tossup between my 1989 Hamer USA Californian, my custom Dark Matter Anomaly (which I spec'd to *basically* be a headless clone of the Cali) and my 2019 LPC

All three tighten my pant

Edit: pics

375707_3602551901759_1752164789_n.jpg

58442666_10219217513167959_1572713201550753792_n.jpg

339126077_2329004160612351_7774813551310896351_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
This past year I had my 06 Carvin Bolt setup by a professional. It's currently my favorite out of the guitars I have. I bought a new Kiesel last year and I still prefer the Bolt. Maybe it's the HSS configuration. I'm not really that picky as long as the pickups are quiet. Some guitars on my wishlist for the future are a Les Paul style guitar with P90s and a Gibson Flying V '67.

Ken Lawrence explorer. Just fuckin perfect.
Wish there were a few more of these in the wild. Would love to grab a used one that wasn't insanely priced.... and have the next 10years to pay it off:) They do look f'n amazing... if they play and sound as good as they look, it's got to be a fantastic machine.

If I had to choose one, it would be my 1986 MIJ Fender strat. I’ve bought and sold many guitars but this has been my main stay for the past 10 years or so. Never disappoints.
Interesting. I love my 86 e-series. Was my go to until the PRS. An absolute hammer of a guitar. 579 bucks in 1986 when I purchased with money from my Kroger bagboy job.

This combination was my most favorite among my others for a long time. Gigged 2yrs solid many places with just this, and maybe a Diamond Memory Lane in the SB loop.

YRSvES3.jpg

When the honeymoon ceased with that, went another year with this;

glM0J2y.jpg

My 1996 Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul Standard Brunswick Blue Sparkle. The First Les Paul I've ever owned & it is the one i judge all other Les Pauls by. It Just sounds perfect.

2007 Gibson '68 Les Paul Custom

It's got a big fat neck, 57+/57 classic pickups cover all the territory I care to travel, it's just a fantastic guitar and it is just the coolest color...

Definitely have had my eye on a DGT core model.

This one is local and calling with my name on it; https://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/PRS-DGT-in-McCarty-Tobacco-Sunburst-with-10-Top-p/20779.htm

If anyone owns the Private Stock version DGT, please share your thoughts on it.
You live in McKinney Tx. ?

I’ve been wanting to visit GS for a very long time.

We have very good friends we go on cruises with, and we’re going with them at the end of the month.

After the cruise we’re going back with them to Paris Tx. for a week.

Paris is only about 1 1/2 hrs. from McKinney, so maybe I can convince them to make a trip over them.

By the way, that DGT at GS looks AMAZING.

Hope you can snag it.

You live in McKinney Tx. ?

I’ve been wanting to visit GS for a very long time.

We have very good friends we go on cruises with, and we’re going with them at the end of the month.

After the cruise we’re going back with them to Paris Tx. for a week.

Paris is only about 1 1/2 hrs. from McKinney, so maybe I can convince them to make a trip over them.

By the way, that DGT at GS looks AMAZING.

Hope you can snag it.
I live in Denton. McKinney is about 30min drive. Not truly local, but I don't consider it far away, as the DFW/Metro area seems like continuous developement. There used to be many more small independent stores similar to GS around the Metroplex. I've been real happy with Guitar Sanctuary. I usually deal with Brian Meador. Super knowledgeable, he always treats me fairly. Very good Man. No complaints. I bought my last 2 Andersons, Mesa MKV 90W, MKVII, California Tweed 4:40, and PRS core model Paul's Guitar there.

I've been going back and forth over that DGT, or a Private Stock version of it. I was really surprised over my core model Paul's Guitar. Really like most everything about it. I usually get a guitar re-fretted with stainless if it doesn't come that way. But I love the frets on my PG. They're not stainless but still really smooth. I usually always change some little something on a guitar, but not wanting to change anything on this one.

I've always really dug all the PRS's I've ever had, but just gradually drifted away from them to other things (mostly tele's or T-style). What really excited me about my recent P's Guit, were the pick-ups and the hard-tail. This guitar works for me everywhere a strat or tele would. For sure doesn't sound exactly like either one, but to my ears it "just works", if ya know what I mean. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love North East Texas & Northwest Louisiana. Played many gigs out that way, but never Paris. The pandemic shut down all my gigs for a while. Things finally starting to come back though. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think things will ever be the same.

You should enjoy the Sanctuary if you get to check it out. There's lots more gear there that isn't on the website. You may even run across Andy Timmons. I think he teaches there. They also do some cool clinics and one-off shows there. Never been to one, but all I hear and read are good things.

I am unapologetic fanboy of Anderson Guitarworks. The clincher for me is that their Even Taper neck carve fits my hands perfectly. I have five Anderson and love them all but this Drop Top I had custom spec'ed in 2010 is my #1 and a guitar I will never part with. H2+ in the bridge and an H1 in the neck. For me, it is flawless.

Back