When does G.A.S. hit you?

Been thru a lot of gear (not like most of you lol) but a lot; got to a point where I got most of not all of everything I jonesed after.

Bought a Caparison a month ago or so; that and a multifx were really the only things I wanted this year, haven’t really looked at stuff since. Shit is starting to stack up and I hate selling shit, so it’s just going to sit.

Main rig is that Cap into a HXFX 4CM into my Herbert, nothing out there that can get me better tones for what I want to do. It’s taken me over 30 years to realize that, so fuck it, no more gear.
Herbert is great for anything. Good choice

Been thru a lot of gear (not like most of you lol) but a lot; got to a point where I got most of not all of everything I jonesed after.

Bought a Caparison a month ago or so; that and a multifx were really the only things I wanted this year, haven’t really looked at stuff since. Shit is starting to stack up and I hate selling shit, so it’s just going to sit.

Main rig is that Cap into a HXFX 4CM into my Herbert, nothing out there that can get me better tones for what I want to do. It’s taken me over 30 years to realize that, so fuck it, no more gear.

I can relate to this. Shit is starting to stack up and I also hate selling shit, mainly because anytime I’ve sold one of my collectibles assuming the sale goes well at all, I see them for sale by flippers using them to make money as a hustle within days.

I’d rather sit on it, or price it with zero margin of meat left on the bone to keep flippers away. I absolutely hate catering to two kinds of people - collectors or flippers for profit.

I can relate to this. Shit is starting to stack up and I also hate selling shit, mainly because anytime I’ve sold one of my collectibles assuming the sale goes well at all, I see them for sale by flippers using them to make money as a hustle within days.

I’d rather sit on it, or price it with zero margin of meat left on the bone to keep flippers away. I absolutely hate catering to two kinds of people - collectors or flippers for profit.

Yep. I’ve given a bunch of stuff away to friends that are less fortunate or are that are in touring bands and need backups for stuff, but there’s still a pile sitting here.

Been thinking about hitting up the local School of Rock and seeing what they need.

Yep. I’ve given a bunch of stuff away to friends that are less fortunate or are that are in touring bands and need backups for stuff, but there’s still a pile sitting here.

Been thinking about hitting up the local School of Rock and seeing what they need.
Yeah I’ve done the same. I gave away my block letter 5150 to a friend in need for free. He still has the amp to this day.

Usually a couple times a year...it is always there though. I have had to delete the Reverb app from my phone because I kept browsing...

For me it's recently been about what will inspire me to play/practice and what works in a NYC apartment. Laaaaame. Haha. I'd love to have a full stack to rip on full tilt but just ain't in the cards right now (at least there's load boxes and attenuators).

Going on a tone/gear quest the past few years has at least helped me narrow it down amp and guitar wise to what is most inspiring.

There are a few main things.

1) When in the past I have tried to keep my gear bare bones, like one amp, one cab, 2 guitars and just make it work for everything. I just get bored and want to hear/feel something different eventually.

2) When I want to do something very different musically. I bought a Tele and a Deluxe Reverb to scratch a certain itch and have some stuff I like to play sound “right” to me.

3) Especially with guitars, when something just doesn’t work well enough, especially cheaper guitars with less than great playability, tuning or intonation problems. Sadly, paying more doesn’t ALWAYS fix that but it should, dammit.

My amp GAS is running pretty low at the moment but I will probably always have guitar GAS.

I am just now starting to get that itch...been out of gear and the whole thing for a long time since tearing down my guitar room, divorce and starting over. Dumped a Mark IVB that I had for years right before all this and now I'm missing it but I still have most of my gear.

Played my 2555x through a 412 last night for the first time in at least a year and my God, it was amazing. That's the one great thing about stepping away for awhile, all the little things I'm usually super picky about go away and it just feels amazing to play a solid rig and move some air.

I've been through a lot of gear as I have wanted to try a lot of different guitars and amps. I didn't do a lot of this when I was younger because I could not afford it. I was pretty thankful to be able to do all of that over the past 15 years.

These days, not as much GAS. Always think of a nice tube amp but with the Axe III and FM3 that I have, the only amp I am using these days is a Katana MKII head into a Bogner cube. I can get by nicely playing live wit it as I run direct, regardless.

However, I am retiring at the end of June and so happy to be doing so. My wife and family wanted to get me a new guitar to commemorate that so the GAS is active again. I only have 3 guitars (and I love them!) but really, I don't need a 4rth at this time but you never know.

Last edited:
Usually watching youtube videos, of someone 100x better than me, playing some guitar or amp that offers something my current gear horde is missing.

Occasionally it'll be relative to whatever band I'm playing with and what we're doing at the time, where I have legitimate use for something I don't already own.

My thing is I get ideas for hot rodded and custom built fiddles, and the ideas get stuck in my head until I just have to do them.

Like one thing I really want right now is an old school Duo Sonic II, with a mahogany body and neck, dark rosewood or ebony fretboard, parchment pickguard, three-way toggle switch P90-style Strat pickups under Mustang covers, out-of-phase push-pull, finished in old Ford Poppy Red with a matching CBS headstock and an off-white competition stripe.

I usually have GAS come up for things that have been on my mind for 10-20yrs.
Older things that may also be a bit rare (at least here in Australia)

Had never owned an early year JCM800.
Late 70's JMPs.
Always was curious about earlier model Ubers.

Only 'new' thing I've been interested in is the Wizard MTL mk2

Early and often. :)

Actually, at this point, I know what I like and I own most of it. Still a couple of pieces I want to add, but I'm at the point where I am custom ordering instruments to the exact specs I want. Amps, well....I like variety, but I'm pretty set there as well.

For me it’s after a couple whiskeys that “buy it now” button gets so much bigger

Add to that a wife who tells you to hit that button.
She actually hates when I sell something to fund another.

That being said I now have gas for a certain item (top of 3 item List I suppose).

May get chance to grab this week.

I’ll buy at market rate when the practicality of the piece of gear really makes me think it will be used and will make it easier for me to play/do more.

Otherwise, if I see something that i covet and feel 100% confident that I’ll be able to unload it with no lost money, then I’m apt to pull the trigger. Several amps have entered the stable that way, and many have rotated out because I realize later that they were redundant or just not getting the usage I expected.

I think post-Helix and Power Station, my impulse GAS has been largely quelled. I haven’t played a real show in 7 years and have been focusing on being a dad and growing my career (including night school) so the big gear has been hard to justify. I still have for 100W+ tube heads, three 1x12 cabs, two 2x12s and a 4x12, not to mention the Power Station, a new to me 50W combo, and a GP/DI.

I think the Peavey VTM-120 is gonna have to go pretty soon. Love the amp but with the other stuff I’ve got, it’s just not getting any usage. Just got a JCM800 to scratch that itch, and already have other high gainers.

Usually starts about 2-3 weeks after my last new purchase arrived. Right now a JCM800 2203 is the items I’m wanting.

I usually have GAS come up for things that have been on my mind for 10-20yrs.
Older things that may also be a bit rare (at least here in Australia)

Had never owned an early year JCM800.
Late 70's JMPs.
Always was curious about earlier model Ubers.

Only 'new' thing I've been interested in is the Wizard MTL mk2
And it’s a beast. My MTL2 and Hermansson are new models but definitely my favorite amps . Usually I’m let down after so much hype . But these two just have the best tones I’ve heard

Back