When does G.A.S. hit you?

I don’t get it much.

Finding what you like that creates satisfaction is the key.

For me, that was discovering how each piece of the signal chain contributes to tone, and what forms get the desired result.

That said, I’m only gassing for a Gjika 10n and cab now, because that is a purer expression of what I now use. Rather than AB cathode bias, class A and less circuitry in the tone stack.

Any piece of gear that’s top of its class has my attention. Sadly we usually have to pay to play to find out and can often be overhyped. The other 99% of gear I could care less about

Last edited:
All the time, it's that innate need to collect and tinker. But I try to live by the ethos of limitations breeds better art. The less crap I have around me, the more I find myself making music with what I do have. So when the GAS builds, I try to close Ebay and lay down in a dark room.

I don’t suffer from this crippling mental illness as severely as I used to. But, once in a while, I see a piece of gear that’s so unbelievably cool that I become helpless in the face of the sheer power and crippling intensity of GAS.

I quickly realize that I can’t rock as hard, or play to the best of my ability because I know, that if I have this new piece of totally Bitchin gear, that I can rock harder than ever before (in my Bedroom of course, at tv volume, that nobody will ever hear) and schralp faster and more efficiently than ever before.

The real possibility now exists that I can achieve yngwie or Petruccis world domination mode. Only one mode is higher and that’s Petrucci s nuclear mode when you can harness the power of the sun and shoot lightning and flaming balls of pure energy from your guitar. It’s true.

Back