Where are all of the Cameron moded Marshalls?

I am with you. Had three . Aldrich, Ocean and something else, All good old Marshalls butchered beyond recognition with the sloppy goop and orange spray as well. Noisy and cool sounding but definitely not better than a ton of other amps.
I just want to say Nick’s take on the aldrich is well built, mine is dead silent, and although it has silicone in areas, they’re for stability. I can easily remove it and repair anything should I need to. It’s a killer amp that sounds great.

I just want to say Nick’s take on the aldrich is well built, mine is dead silent, and although it has silicone in areas, they’re for stability. I can easily remove it and repair anything should I need to. It’s a killer amp that sounds great.
I've got one of those and totally agree! It is a mean, growly beast!

There was I think three Cameron mods on reverb last week for the first time in a long while, they don’t come up anywhere near as often now though

I've owned two Camerons and one Cameron clone built by Dave Friedman. They sound very cool, like a Mesa and a Marshall mixed together, and the under-the-fingers feel is very addictive: all of your little guitar "tricks" just work out and sound awesome. It's true that you get five years better at playing guitar when you plug in. However, in my opinion, they're overrated. After the honeymoon period wears off, you'll see that they are super compressed and only really do one or two things well, but they are fun.

That said, Mark is a total piece of shit who ripped a lot of people off, exploited the honesty of strangers, and betrayed the trust of the community. Not only that, but he re-appears every couple of years, makes one or two amps, then goes on a bender or whatever he does and falls apart again. I feel compassion for the guy -- addiction is no joke -- but he has had so many chances for redemption (most notably when they were going to launch the Cameron amp line with Brad King) and has blown them all, over and over again, for over a decade. So IMO, as a community, we should be very careful about posts like this that keep the Cameron hype alive. I know it's not very "rock and roll," and most of our guitar idols have been addicts (sometimes for decades) and we still love them, but Mark is a fraud and should not be idolized, and we, as a community, can affect this.

/endrant

^well put

they do sound good and I don't blame people for buying them used but....

here is the "Fucked Fifteen"
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/cameron-rundown.279002/page-2#post-3517865

(please let me know if there are any additions/subtractions)
Yup!
Talked to that piece of shit on the phone in 2010. Basically the reason I joined rigtalk was to purchase one of his amps.

Lesson fucking learned

Karma's a bitch and if you're lucky God let's you watch

I've owned two Camerons and one Cameron clone built by Dave Friedman. They sound very cool, like a Mesa and a Marshall mixed together, and the under-the-fingers feel is very addictive: all of your little guitar "tricks" just work out and sound awesome. It's true that you get five years better at playing guitar when you plug in. However, in my opinion, they're overrated. After the honeymoon period wears off, you'll see that they are super compressed and only really do one or two things well, but they are fun.

That said, Mark is a total piece of shit who ripped a lot of people off, exploited the honesty of strangers, and betrayed the trust of the community. Not only that, but he re-appears every couple of years, makes one or two amps, then goes on a bender or whatever he does and falls apart again. I feel compassion for the guy -- addiction is no joke -- but he has had so many chances for redemption (most notably when they were going to launch the Cameron amp line with Brad King) and has blown them all, over and over again, for over a decade. So IMO, as a community, we should be very careful about posts like this that keep the Cameron hype alive. I know it's not very "rock and roll," and most of our guitar idols have been addicts (sometimes for decades) and we still love them, but Mark is a fraud and should not be idolized, and we, as a community, can affect this.

/endrant

Yeah I fully agree on all regards which is why I have a clone and not a real one.

I also agree they are one trick ponies. You absolutely cannot roll your volume back to get a clean tone when the gain is cranked. They are compressed but in a good way where note definition is retained and low end stays together.
You absolutely have to have a second channel with the pregain dialed back to comp clean anything which is aggravating.

. However, in my opinion, they're overrated. After the honeymoon period wears off, you'll see that they are super compressed and only really do one or two things well, but they are fun.
I feel like this is the case with a lot of the “unobtainable” amps. Lots of confirmation bias with them I think. Ah I paid this much so it must live up to this amount of hype and is so much better than everything else.

I never seem to hear the "awesomness" of his amps.
Ive heard about every clip on the WWW and they all sound like too much gain / too much bottom / too much topend and too much compression.
I like a good baseline Marshall or Mesa tone and spice it too my taste.
I don't want an amp with an over-inflated sense of self importance before i ever play one chord.
Nor do i want to buy from a criminal that harmed people.

Last edited:

I never seem to hear the "awesomness" of his amps.
Ive heard about every clip on the WWW and they all sound like too much gain / too much bottom / too much topend and too much compression.
I like a good baseline Marshall or Mesa tone and spice it too my taste.
I don't want an amp with an over-inflated sense of self importance before i ever play one chord.
Nor do i want to buy from a criminal that harmed people.

That NAMM show, that CCV is the best one I’ve heard. The grind, the ferocity, that growl, whoa….

284306-455167-d1c366eead-6209.jpg
Is that for real? I would flip my shit if an amp I had modded came back like that. I’m already pissy about amps without silk screen on the boards, seeing that would push me over the edge lol

Somewhat off topic, but why are people so secretive about Cameron schems when he essentially fucked over everyone he met? Seems like the first thing to do would be make the info available so people would avoid the temptation of mailing him an amp for service. (And if you have one and would like to send me a copy feel free lol)

Back