Where Does Tone Come From

Tone is stored in the balls
Ha, reminds me of the old joke:
Woman goes to the doctor, says she has no energy and is always tired.
Doctor prescribes her heavy doses of testosterone and tells her to come back in 2 weeks.
After 2 weeks she returns and tells the doctor her energy levels are great but she’s growing hair all over.
Doctor asks where is she growing hair
She replies “my balls doc, my balls”

so is the point of the video to show that wood doesn't matter because I could hear a clear difference between all 3.

He seemed to ignore that fact that his "air guitar" has the head stock bolted to a shelf and the bridge is bolted to a bench and they are "joined" by two bits of 2x4 holding the shelf in place, all of these things great resonance hence creating some sort of "tone" ... and again they all sounded different... at to my ears the Tele sounded the most alive.

Just because one persons ears can't hear things doesn't mean they don't exist

so is the point of the video to show that wood doesn't matter because I could hear a clear difference between all 3.

He seemed to ignore that fact that his "air guitar" has the head stock bolted to a shelf and the bridge is bolted to a bench and they are "joined" by two bits of 2x4 holding the shelf in place, all of these things great resonance hence creating some sort of "tone" ... and again they all sounded different... at to my ears the Tele sounded the most alive.

You're right, there is a difference in all three but it's kinda shocking how good the table guitar sounded and I don't think anyone here considers plywood and 2x4s to be tone woods. I think his point is to make you think about what matters.

I’m not sure the video has a “point”. He simple changes parts and lets you judge. I was surprised how close everything sounded once the pickups and electronics were the same. I thought the bubble wrap between the neck and body, 2x4 body, and no neck would have resulted in more obvious changes in tone. I was also surprised how much the pickup height effect things.

You're right, there is a difference in all three but it's kinda shocking how good the table guitar sounded and I don't think anyone here considers plywood and 2x4s to be tone woods. I think his point is to make you think about what matters.
the table sound good is no surprise really give the shear mass of what the bridge and headstock are bolted to..have you ever rested the headstock of your guitar against a cabinet or draws? it amplifies the sound a ton so that is all that is happening with the table

There’s definitely a few amps like that .Rare like yours . But they do exist

its not even just metal dudes. Blues guys, punk guys, classic rock guys, they all sound fucking great.

It makes me think differently about the "tone is in the hands" dogma. Obviously you have to have some skills, but shit man. Good tone is good tone.

Back