Which Bogner for me?

sombersoul

So, here I am, lusting for a Bogner amp. I've been interested for a few years now but when I had the money to go higher end, I favoured Diezel due to better availability and service in Europe. However, I admit I've always felt a certain attraction to the Bogners. I've never played one (again, availability) but I've been researching them for a long time. From reading thousands of posts and watching YouTube clips I have some sort of understanding of the basic differences in tone and feel between the amps of these two companies. Something inside of me tells me that the supposedly more organic and also rawer tone of the Bogners would suit my tastes more. I realize that for many people it's an either/or question when it comes to Diezel/Bogner. For myself I need to find out whether I'm a Diezel or Bogner guy or actually in-between. ;)

Anyway, I come here to tap into the knowledge and experience of Bogner users in order to become clear on which model I should opt for.

I'm mostly interested in Shivas and Überschalls. Two years ago I made a choice between the Diezel Einstein and the Bogner Shiva. The presumed sexiness of the latter has never left my mind since. Right now, I'm playing a Diezel Schmidt - a great amp in its own right, of course!

Over the years I found out that all I really want is a superb 2-channel-switcher. I've had various small and big amps over the years, with few functions or many functions. The truth is that I need a good to great clean channel and a massive gain channel that works well for both rhythm and lead. The fewer buttons, the better (yes, I was socialized with the 6505). I really feel encumbered by too many options, but that's just me. This is the reason why I have, after long and painful considerations, excluded amps like the Herbert or VH-4 from any purchase in the near future. I really need to try a different flavour for better orientation. ;)

At the moment, I'm favouring the Überschall. I admit I judge amps mostly by their gain channel. If it is not to my tastes, the amp will sooner or later go. Also, after some more thinking, I've concluded I really need the option of a high-gain distortion for our music (which the Schmidt doesn't deliver, since it's not what it was made for). The thing is that I really don't want to go for a multi-amp setup. Simplicity is the key to my personal enjoyment while playing. A few pedals and that's it.

Überschall/Twin Jet:

Which model to get? I found one Rev Blue available from a German online store. Other than that, most stores seem to have the Twin Jet these days. Is the Rev Blue still manufactured, by the way?

I said I needed a good clean channel. Opinions on the Rev Blue's clean channel differ. How usable is it really? Does it have lots of headroom or does it break up early? I'm going into my amps with Duncan Distortions/Duncan Customs in the bridge and Pearly Gates in the neck (on various guitars) plus a slight clean boost provided by the ISP Decimator.

One big plus seems to be the fact that the clean channel was made for pedals. I have a Big Muff and a Maxon808 on my board at the moment.

How about the semi-clean channel on the Twin Jet? This amp seems more readily available at the moment but I fear that I would never get a clean tone out of it (since my setup also drives the input a bit harder) and I'm not sure I could do without proper cleans. So, how much does the channel clean up?

Another caveat may be the KT88 tubes. From all I've read about them (and also the fact that many users seem to prefer the EL34 mod), I got the feeling that they would not meet my tastes but who knows. Of course, I could get a TJ and mod it. But really, I don't want to do this myself (and there are no competent amp techs in my area that I know of, beside the fact that I don't want to immediately tamper with a newly bought amp). Changing tubes and setting bias is fine, though.

These considerations have made me gravitate towards the Rev Blue Überschall with EL34s.

Shiva:

I'm really tempted to get this amp. How about the 20th Anniversary edition with KT88 tubes? Is it a similar situation as with the TJ? It seems that people generally prefer EL34s in Bogners. Anyway, getting the original Shiva now would probably defeat my purpose of obtaining an all-out high gain channel. I see it more as an alternative to the Schmidt but I might be wrong. I read that the 20th Anniversary model delivers more of a modern distortion sound with more gain if required, so I'm undecided here.

A possible problem that may exist with various Bogners: F/X loop. I definitely will be using one for delays and maybe a phaser. What can I expect here? I need a solution I can live with. The effects would mostly be used with a clean sound.

In a perfect world I would get all the amps and also keep the Diezel. But that is just not possible. At this price level going for another amp usually means selling gear (even the Diezel). This is why I need to put much thought into this matter and would really love to hear opinions. Maybe someone has amps by both companies or can relate their own ponderings when faced with difficult and expensive choices.

Here's some more information: We play post-rock with three guitars, so it's not absolutely necessary for me to have the most brilliant clean sound, as one of the other amps is a Fender. But since I'm the guy with the many delays and other "atmospheric" stomp boxes, a good and usable clean sound is a must (in combination with a usable F/X loop). In a one-amp only setup, this one amp must be able to deliver crushing distortion. I sometimes boost with the Maxon808 but amp gain and texture has to be sufficient and awesome all by itself.

Realistically, my choice should now be between the Überschall Rev Blue, Twin Jet and possibly the 20th Anniversary Shiva. If Bogner amps turn out to be my long-awaited true love tonally, I can see myself getting a second amp (like Überschall first, then Shiva).

Anyway, I play through a Diezel 2x12 rearloaded, Germany-made cab. What can I expect soundwise from possible Überschall/Shiva combinations? The Bogner 212 OS has had my interest for a long time as well, so I would not be against swapping cabs either.

So, which Bogner amp should I burn my hard-earned money for? Feel free to enlightend me or correct possible misconceptions. :rock:

Hey I'll go first!
I would go with a 20th Shiva modded to take EL34's .
Loops are perfect with "Line Level" effects.
I own the regular Traffic Green Shiva and with a booster has more than enough gain for everything up to nu metal, but the 20th is just better all around IMO.
I would try to check one out before buying though. It is like you guessing what amp you should get by us guessing what amp you would like.

I tried writing a post to this this morning, but the level of detail - to match the level of your detail - became too much a job...

What a post!!!

After reading and re-reading your post, I can only say 2 things. The TJ is my fave Uberschall, but it's over-the-top in the gainier nu-metal arena of rock. And its 1st channel, unless delivered with the clean taper mod, doesn't really clean up much. The controls are very counter intuitive, and if you think they're simple - think again. A lot of deductive EQ'ing goes on with the Uberschalls, and that's alright if you have the time and patience to really get to know the amp and it's tones, but man, it was a huge frustration for me for the first 10 hours or so of gig level playing... But once I got it figured out, it ripped. The reason I dumped it was that I found it too limited in its sonic scope. YMMV. As for the Rev.Blue, sure, the clean is clean, a bit dark, but clean nonetheless and takes pedals real well.

The Shiva, especially the 20thA Shiva would be my recommendation, I'm just not sure it's really what you want or need. It's a terrific sounding amp, to MY ears, and one that's on the to-do list for me sometime in the future...

Loaded questions typically have loaded answers - this is the most distilled response I can give without writing a mini-novel on the topic :aww:

V.

Ok, I couldn't finish reading the post. I was at this same road before. I have an Einstein and have purchased a Bogner 101B.

Both amps are quite similar, with the Bogner having the Edge in lower gain settings and the Diezel in high gain of course, I pretty much don't use the red channel on the Ecstasy, I find it quite lacking. BUT the blue and Plexi modes are really nice. Have not tried a Shiva, but I think the Uberschall might be a little over the top and less versatile than the Shiva or Ecstasy

Both amps will do everything pretty well... The clean on the Bogner is a little bit better than on the Diezel.

Having said that I find both amps different. If I had to chose one, I'd keep the Einstein. Hope it helps

The Shiva 20th is one of the best sounding amps I have owned. SED 6550's in mine.

Thanks for all the replies!

I enjoy in-depth discussions, as they usually help me to become clearer on my own opinion on a given subject. Of course, the decision which amp to get is mine alone but there are benefits to be had of good discussions. I must admit that too much detail can be quite overwhelming, though. ;)

I'm intrigued with the almost unanimous recommendation of the 20th Anniversary Shiva! The original version was actually the first Bogner amp that really got me interested...

What do you think about these videos?

https://www.youtube.com/user/wwwguitarss ... u9ZH4DTAO4
https://www.youtube.com/user/wwwguitarss ... 5BErDOy_lc
https://www.youtube.com/user/wwwguitarss ... pe3z3eOxiQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/wwwguitarss ... AaM9FhOoZs

Do they represent the 20th Shiva in a realistic way? Of course, here the sound is awesome! I'm only concerned by the fact that many people (at least judging by the frequency of such topics posted) seem to dislike the KT88 stock tubes. Hidden somewhere in my initial post I wrote that modding an amp may not be an option for me, as I have no intention of doing it myself (due to lack of knowledge and expertise in this field) plus I don't know of any amp techs in my area. So I'd have to go stock. On the other hand, I read that at least 6550 tubes can be swapped for the KT88s without any physical modification, as long as their bias rating is close to the KT88s, right?

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=86901

If there were stock EL34 20th Shivas (or even TJs) I would hesitate less for sure. But what's been written about the KT88s really makes me more careful.

Is anyone using the 20th Shiva with the stock tubes at all?

In higher gain mode, does the low end flub out and how much of a crunch/saturation can the 20th Shiva achieve (also in relation to the previous version)? I really need a capable distortion channel for rhythm playing (palm mutes must be chunky and crunchy).

Overall, the Shiva (in any version) would be amp most suitable to my needs, as it seems to be the most versatile one. I take it that the clean channel is also great with pedals?

Thanks again for the good discussion! :thumbsup:

It still sounds great with the KT88's. The SED 6550's make it sound even better. No changes needed if you get a hotter pair.The amp has allot more low end than most would think. Palm mutes are not a problem. The harmonics are outstanding on the gain channel. The amp also sounds fantastic on your neck pickup. There is plenty of gain on tap. You do not need a boost. The videos are quite accurate. You will not be dissapointed.

Wow, you know how to fuel up GAS to the point of explosion! :-D

Now a question about the 212 OS cabs. I noticed there are several versions in different colours. Are we merely talking cosmetics or are there any tonal differences (perhaps conditioned by different grills) as well? Does the OS come with an optional open backpanel (like the Diezel 212 RC does) or can I only get one or the other?

sombersoul":2kterfo4 said:
Wow, you know how to fuel up GAS to the point of explosion! :-D

Now a question about the 212 OS cabs. I noticed there are several versions in different colours. Are we merely talking cosmetics or are there any tonal differences (perhaps conditioned by different grills) as well? Does the OS come with an optional open backpanel (like the Diezel 212 RC does) or can I only get one or the other?

Listen to glip... That cat knows his Shivas!! As for the Bogner OS212 cabs, mostly cosmetics, but the real meat of the matter is what they're loaded with. Recent OS212's are loaded with one V30 and one G12T-75, sometimes 2 x V30's. The OS212 by Bogner is a terrific sounding cab, and if you match this with a 20thA Sheevs, man, you'll have one SERIOUS pimp rig!! And throwing in some 6550's as per glip's recommendation?? Hell yeah man, on your way to tonal bliss.

Peace,
V.

Oh, and a PS to the Sheevs... If you CRANK the gain/preamp on the Sheevs, and then crank the MV and worry about flubbing up the tone, this can be corrected by throwing a nice clean boost in front of the rig - my recommendation for any 'clean boost' is the Creation Audio Labs Mk.4:23

It'll tighten anything up. That being said, I doubt the Sheevs will flub out on you. It's a Bogner, man, c'mon :D

V.

Good news, guys! I'm more or less set on getting a Shiva 20th in the near future, possibly even in the next few days. But now a new choice has cropped up. I found an online store which offers a 20th + Reverb model that also has the original Shiva look. Damn sexy, if I can say so myself. I'm pretty tempted. I read in the manual that the there are separate reverb controls for each channel and that the reverb is also footswitchable. I quite like the reverb on my Schmidt, so having one on the Shiva seems like a good option. On the other hand, I really want to keep things as simple as possible. I know that in the manual it mentions the volume loss when reverb is engaged. But I would probably have it "on" on the clean channel all the time.

Any opinions? :)

I'm really anxious to get a Shiva now. This discussion has tipped me in favour of that amp. I was all set on a white-on-white Shiva setup but now the classic look with the reverb has got me thinking (and thus delayed) again...;)

sombersoul":kje15ptl said:
Good news, guys! I'm more or less set on getting a Shiva 20th in the near future, possibly even in the next few days. But now a new choice has cropped up. I found an online store which offers a 20th + Reverb model that also has the original Shiva look. Damn sexy, if I can say so myself. I'm pretty tempted. I read in the manual that the there are separate reverb controls for each channel and that the reverb is also footswitchable. I quite like the reverb on my Schmidt, so having one on the Shiva seems like a good option. On the other hand, I really want to keep things as simple as possible. I know that in the manual it mentions the volume loss when reverb is engaged. But I would probably have it "on" on the clean channel all the time.

Any opinions? :)

I'm really anxious to get a Shiva now. This discussion has tipped me in favour of that amp. I was all set on a white-on-white Shiva setup but now the classic look with the reverb has got me thinking (and thus delayed) again...;)

Cool, are you getting the amp from Europe or importing it from the states? By the way how is the Schmidt, I loved every clip I've heard of that amp...

Anyway the Shiva does seem really nice, I like the classic options though. No white tolex for me, especially for such a classic sounding amp...

sombersoul":3cg7ll5f said:
Good news, guys! I'm more or less set on getting a Shiva 20th in the near future, possibly even in the next few days. But now a new choice has cropped up. I found an online store which offers a 20th + Reverb model that also has the original Shiva look.
Do it.

Buy it.

You'll never look back.

Seriously :rock:
V.

Nico":3q853vud said:
Anyway the Shiva does seem really nice, I like the classic options though. No white tolex for me, especially for such a classic sounding amp...

Well, I had a vision in which I saw a fully white Shiva rig upon which various cool light effects would be projected as part of the stage show. Maybe that would work well with the white tolex. ;)

But I'm really torn here, even though it's just cosmetic. The original Shiva seems more timeless.

Nico":3q853vud said:
By the way how is the Schmidt, I loved every clip I've heard of that amp..

It is a well-built and very capable amp, of course! The clean channel is absolutely sweet and open-sounding with much definition in the high end. One could say this amp is brighter than the other Diezels (at least in my opinion). You will also quite easily hear the quality of your guitar.

The gain channels have more gain and sustain than one would expect, solos and big chords are absolutely no problem. It isn't high-gain territory, but no-one would expect that.

I just find this is perhaps not the amp for me (I actually regret letting go of the Einstein a bit).

Ventura":3q853vud said:
sombersoul":3q853vud said:
Good news, guys! I'm more or less set on getting a Shiva 20th in the near future, possibly even in the next few days. But now a new choice has cropped up. I found an online store which offers a 20th + Reverb model that also has the original Shiva look.
Do it.

Buy it.

You'll never look back.

Seriously :rock:
V.

Haha, I like your straightforwardness! No worries, I'm sold! ;)

The major point now is the price tag and my own preferences. There's a hefty difference between EUR 2222,- or 2490,- respectively (from two different online stores) and EUR 2790,.- for the classic look and the reverb. For that price difference, I could get "part" of the OS cab or maybe a good reverb pedal.

Classic...white...
White...classic...
Reverb...classic?
White...white?

Ah....!? :doh:

:rock:

I like mine in white with no reverb. The loop is really good in the Shiva unlike the Twin Jet's loop. :rock:

Sexy!!! :inlove:

I still haven't decided, even though it should be a trivial decision. But with sums this high nothing is trivial. ;)

Based on the following reasoning, I've made a decision to get the 20th Shiva + Reverb with the classic tolex.

1. On-board reverb is a good thing, I quite like it on my Schmidt. Sometimes, a great clean channel and some reverb is all that is needed. The fact that the reverb can be completely removed from the circuit is reassuring, if I'm annoyed by the slight volume loss or just don't like it. So, in a nutshell, it's probably better to have an optional reverb (saves a pedal).

2. My first interest was the original Shiva with its classic looks. Better go with my first love. ;)

3. I'm thinking that the 20th + Reverb model with the classic tolex may have a higher resale value - not that I'm not wishing with all my heart that this will be a keeper for a long time...but let's be realistic. ;)

I think I will need to wait for another paycheck before I pull the trigger (due to the extra costs for the reverb) but the wait will surely be worth it. If the amp is all that and more, I will also get the classic OS cab sometime later this year.

I will probably allow myself a period of playing the Shiva and the Schmidt side by side, but unless I win alot of money, I will have to reduce to one amp sooner or later. :aww:

Now I have something nice to look forward to (usually the best period anyway, just kidding)... :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• Bogner_Shiva_Anni1.jpg
    Bogner_Shiva_Anni1.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 5,275
You have chosen wisely Young Grasshopper....!! :yes:

What a SUH-WEEEEEEET looking amp!! Uber classic, timeless, beautiful looking beast!! I can't wait to read what ya think about this amp... :rawk:

Golden man, just golden!!! :2thumbsup:

Congrats - post pics when you get it... As for resale value (blasphemy - how could you even think such things!!), fawgettabuttit... But the classic tolex, reverb and the 20thA circuit?? Dude, that's simply CANDY!!

Peace,
V.

Back