Which Floyd'ed axe would you buy?

DEWD

I'm looking to pick up a new axe w/ a Floyd since I haven't had one for many years. I'm not looking to spend much....maybe $1300 tops. I'm considering the EVH Wolfgang Special (Japanese import), PRS Torero and a Charvel So-Cal/San Dimas (Japanese import). There are things I've read or specs that are not ideal to me on all three of them so I'm kind of lost on which to get. Tell me which you would get and why. Also, how are the necks and playability?

Isn't the PRS an import as well? It doesn't matter to me, but you put import next to the other guitars, and left it out for the PRS. Aren't the SE models made in Korea? Or do they make a USA version of that model now?

bigdaddyd":207mcugh said:
Isn't the PRS an import as well? It doesn't matter to me, but you put import next to the other guitars, and left it out for the PRS. Aren't the SE models made in Korea? Or do they make a USA version of that model now?

Yeah it's made in Korea. I just put that because you can buy a USA EVH and USA Charvel but not a USA PRS Torero if that makes sense. :confused:

Ventura":3pgzvb48 said:
Love my ESP FR-II.

Wickedly fast ax...

Peace,
V.

I like ESP's but the necks are too thin for me. I had a couple import Eclipse Full Thickness that had fatter necks but all of the USA guitars have that real thin neck I can't get used to.

fickle":1hv2cgxy said:
You can't go wrong with the charvel man.. I love mine, great neck and playability.

The only thing that stops me from pulling the trigger on it is truss rod access. I live in the Midwest and one day it's 90 and a couple days later it's 20. I just don't want to have to take the neck off all the time to adjust. Have you had to pull the neck on yours much?

Also, how fat is the neck? I've played 2 in the past week and they were way different. The first one flat out sucked and second one was killer so I don't know what to expect. I'm thinking maybe the first one was a dud or maybe had a replacement neck on it after reading all of the positive reviews online.

Ibanez RGT220A. These can be had for under a grand all day long. The neck is stupid fast, and I dare you to find better fret work than on a Prestige Ibanez.
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

I'd go for the MIJ Wolfgang...but it's up to your personal preference.
I have two Charvel's a So Cal and a tele shaped San Dimas . They are great guitars in their own right, but I'm probably gonna sell them off soon.
My Peavey Wolfgang Special sounds and feels more like home to me. I love the pickups, neck, body shape, weight, everything more over the Charvels. I guess I'm just very used to the Wolfgang.

I've always had a thing for MIJ Ibanez RG's. The Floyds on those just feel more stable to me than other similarly priced guitars. A good RG470 or RG520 is hard to beat for the money, especially considering that they're pretty easy to find on the bay for around $300. New pickups, and they're solid "beater" guitars.

I played a PRS Torrero. It felt alot better than the Charvel I played. The Charvel was the standard Sam Ash crap set up though. Still, the PRS felt/sounded better to me. I'm partial to PRS though. The Horizon FR would be a better bet if you can get a deal on a used one.

Back