Which Floyd'ed axe would you buy?

Mailman1971":juspbh25 said:
stephen sawall":juspbh25 said:
bigdaddyd":juspbh25 said:
stephen sawall":juspbh25 said:
American made Hammer.

I don't know about a Hammer, but I would suggest a USA Hamer :LOL: :LOL: see my avatar.

I must of been thinking about MC ..... thanks for the correction.
You dont mean this................... :LOL: :LOL:

I am not going to make a comment about his whammy bar ..... but it could explain the pants.

stephen sawall":2jhqdjdo said:
Mailman1971":2jhqdjdo said:
bigdaddyd":2jhqdjdo said:
American made Hammer.

I don't know about a Hammer, but I would suggest a USA Hamer :LOL: :LOL: see my avatar.

I must of been thinking about MC ..... thanks for the correction.
You dont mean this................... :LOL: :LOL:

I am not going to make a comment about his whammy bar ..... but it could explain the pants.
God Damn the early 90's............. :doh:

:LOL: :LOL:

Ventura":ltrkhsbn said:
Love my ESP FR-II.

Wickedly fast ax...

Peace,
V.

Fuck yeah! I want this guitar. :rock: I have a friend that can get ESP at cost. I need to see how good of a deal I can get.

I own the Terrero, great guitar for the price. But, I also have a Jackson DK1 USA made. My favorite guitar by far. They can be had for $1000-$1300 used nowadays.

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

I'd pick either the EVH Wolfgang Special or Charvel, out of the ones mentioned. Although, you said that there was something about each one of those that weren't "ideal" for you. If this is the case, then don't get any of those. I learned a while back, that if you aren't completely happy with a guitar, rather it have something to do with playability, tone, or cosmetics....then that something will always bother you to the point where you will eventually want to get rid of it. I would also consider Carvin as someone else had mentioned.

Ibanez RG series are fantastic for the money. Used 550s and 570s sell for $300-$500. Necks are wide, thin, super playable.
Edge bridge is great, just need to add your pickups.
J Customs can be had for a little over a grand as well.

RoyAnderson":1qw7y7ug said:
Ibanez RG series are fantastic for the money. Used 550s and 570s sell for $300-$500. Necks are wide, thin, super playable.
Edge bridge is great, just need to add your pickups.
Definitely a strong contender, used prices on those are often hard to beat.

I have a Charvel SoCal, it was my #1 until this Suhr came along. I tried out the Torero, and I liked it, but not as much as the Charvel. I couldn't really say what about it exactly didn't grab me, though. But I've had an 'almost, but not quite' with most PRS I have tried out. And I really want to find one that does grab me, I think they are great sounding (and looking) guitars.

SFW":2qaggn4g said:
Ibanez RGT220A. These can be had for under a grand all day long. The neck is stupid fast, and I dare you to find better fret work than on a Prestige Ibanez.
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

This

mboogman":2h4qpe0t said:
I've always had a thing for MIJ Ibanez RG's. The Floyds on those just feel more stable to me than other similarly priced guitars. A good RG470 or RG520 is hard to beat for the money, especially considering that they're pretty easy to find on the bay for around $300. New pickups, and they're solid "beater" guitars.
+1 but it has to be a MIJ or USA Great guitars. My first Guitar was a RG550 blk, dont have one now but have been thinking of a 550,570 or Jem :thumbsup:

For me it's either the new Grosh Sunset '79 as seen in my avatar (and now below) and is my personal guitar of choice when I want/need to play a Floyd equipped guitar, and the other two pretty obvious, high-end contenders.....a Tyler UW or a Suhr Modern.

If they are within your price range I don't think you can go wrong with either (I've logged fewer hours on the Suhr's, but enjoyed the ones I played and really dig the body shape and contours).

I'd like to add a Shmear finished Tyler UW to my collection and am currently looking for a used one with the right finish and in the right price range, but I have a second Sunset 79 to pay for first. I don't remember ever playing a Tyler I didn't like and would carry them in a heartbeat if the line was available in my market.

On a tighter budget I agree with others who recommend the MIJ Wolfgang. I briefly owned a US version when they first came out and carried them as a dealer for about a year........very nice, great sounding guitar, but ultimately not the ideal neck carve for me........very nice, just not as ideal for me personally as the Sunset Modified D carve on the Grosh (.820" / .920" with excellent shoulder fall off) which is the best neck I've played for *my* hand on this style of guitar.

The MIJ's neck may fit your hand like a glove though and are definitely worth checking out at that price point. They are very close to the US models in every way, sound great and are an excellent value.

Here's my new baby......the Grosh Sunset 79 "Prototype" in Black Orange Metallic with Blown '59 Humbuckers. I have another in Black Sparkle on order for myself already. This is the Floyd guitar I've been searching for for a very long time. Fortunately someone I'm in business with just happened to build it. The only thing I'd change is the finish on the neck. It's satin lacquer which feels great, but I want a more late 70's/early 80's Charvel or early to mid 90's MusicMan EVH oil finish feel for my next one. I also happen to like the way the oiled necks look when they get stained from sweat and dirt:

DEWD":2e3gg0rb said:
fickle":2e3gg0rb said:
You can't go wrong with the charvel man.. I love mine, great neck and playability.

The only thing that stops me from pulling the trigger on it is truss rod access. I live in the Midwest and one day it's 90 and a couple days later it's 20. I just don't want to have to take the neck off all the time to adjust. Have you had to pull the neck on yours much?

Also, how fat is the neck? I've played 2 in the past week and they were way different. The first one flat out sucked and second one was killer so I don't know what to expect. I'm thinking maybe the first one was a dud or maybe had a replacement neck on it after reading all of the positive reviews online.

I have made like 2 Trussrod adjustments in the last 2 yrs.. And the second time it didn't really need it that bad.. Its not really a big deal.. The ones I have played had the same necks on all of them.. For me they are the perfect neck for a super-strat type guitar.. A bit thinner than the regular strat modern C shape and a bit rounder than the Ibanez wizard neck.. For me its just right.

Gsxrbusa":17wvrm8c said:
Ventura":17wvrm8c said:
Love my ESP FR-II.

Wickedly fast ax...

Peace,
V.

Fuck yeah! I want this guitar. :rock: I have a friend that can get ESP at cost. I need to see how good of a deal I can get.

I call this FR-II and my other NT-II my "stunt" guitars... They can do shit my others can't, especially this FR loaded one... Just kazy!!

V.

Stu Carter":2o0yxyza said:
For me it's either the new Grosh Sunset '79 as seen in my avatar (and now below) and is my personal guitar of choice when I want/need to play a Floyd equipped guitar, and the other two pretty obvious, high-end contenders.....a Tyler UW or a Suhr Modern.

If they are within your price range I don't think you can go wrong with either (I've logged fewer hours on the Suhr's, but enjoyed the ones I played and really dig the body shape and contours).

I'd like to add a Shmear finished Tyler UW to my collection and am currently looking for a used one with the right finish and in the right price range, but I have a second Sunset 79 to pay for first. I don't remember ever playing a Tyler I didn't like and would carry them in a heartbeat if the line was available in my market.

On a tighter budget I agree with others who recommend the MIJ Wolfgang. I briefly owned a US version when they first came out and carried them as a dealer for about a year........very nice, great sounding guitar, but ultimately not the ideal neck carve for me........very nice, just not as ideal for me personally as the Sunset Modified D carve on the Grosh (.820" / .920" with excellent shoulder fall off) which is the best neck I've played for *my* hand on this style of guitar.

The MIJ's neck may fit your hand like a glove though and are definitely worth checking out at that price point. They are very close to the US models in every way, sound great and are an excellent value.

Here's my new baby......the Grosh Sunset 79 "Prototype" in Black Orange Metallic with Blown '59 Humbuckers. I have another in Black Sparkle on order for myself already. This is the Floyd guitar I've been searching for for a very long time. Fortunately someone I'm in business with just happened to build it. The only thing I'd change is the finish on the neck. It's satin lacquer which feels great, but I want a more late 70's/early 80's Charvel or early to mid 90's MusicMan EVH oil finish feel for my next one. I also happen to like the way the oiled necks look when they get stained from sweat and dirt:

That is gorgeous! But... it's about $2000 above the top of his budget he mentioned in his first post.

Chubtone":3cm8mpsz said:
That is gorgeous! But... it's about $2000 above the top of his budget he mentioned in his first post.

That's definitely a problem. Even when/if Grosh comes out with a "Standard" version it will most likely be close to $2K.

So I stick by my MIJ Wolfgang endorsement for his budget, but the Charvels would be a good choice as well.

I'd go for either the Charvel's or I'd look on Ebay for a Peavey Wolfang Standard. Better guitar IMO and you can get them in you're price range. I'd also check out an Ibanez JS1200. There's also the ESP Lynch's.

I played the PRS and really didn't care for it. The only good guitars they make are the 513 and 305, but those both cost a lot.

Back