Which Rectifier is right for me? If any?

You don't want a Rectifier.

Go play on any of them for a hour or two and see if I am wrong.
You’re probably right in my case, and yet….

So here’s a question for the group: which would you pick (assume pricing is the same)

Mid 90s Rev G Dual with chrome control panel and black treadplate

Or

Late 90s Rev G Triple with classic black control panel and silver treadplate

The correct answer is whichever sounds better, but as I’m window shopping that’s hard to assess….

So here’s a question for the group: which would you pick (assume pricing is the same)

Or

The correct answer is whichever sounds better, but as I’m window shopping that’s hard to assess….
Not having a Triple in my stable while owning Duals, I prob. would go for the Triple. If it would be my first Recto, then Dual

Being a long time mark series player, I took to the badlander (50w) very quickly & easily, though they sound nothing alike.

Or

They are too close to make much difference to me.
I would probably pick the Triple. But that is how I play. I tend to like bigger power amps.

Chrome panel and black tread plate is pretty uncommon. If price is the same I'd get that one for sure just for the uniqueness. But usually the chrome panel amps are hundreds of dollars more, I'd only pay that if I thought it'd be more valuable later if I wanted to sell

Or

if you have the chance to compare them directly... which ever one sounds best. if not take the dual. both rev g's should be so similar that its negligible and i think that chrome panel just looks cool as shit.

On the Triple vs Dual thing, the triple will have more power tubes. Edit: The new amps part I was thinking of someone else.

$490 for a Single is a hell of a deal these days. I paid more in 2007! The consensus certainly is that Singles are tighter than Duals.
What's really interesting is the layouts and guts are completely different. Didn't expect that. Including the chassis themselves :eek:

LLYjpJT.jpg

why not do a high gain modded Marshall
But he has that base covered already, hence the 'need' for a Recto.

Some of the comments seem to be steering you towards more Marshall-type iterations or mods. Maybe I misread your post but if you are keeping the Friedman, I would think you’d want something different on purpose. I love my Marshalls too but I get out my rectos specifically for that recto sound, I don’t get out a recto to dial it close to my Marshall. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rev F, finally repaired, but I have two Rev G’s that come out when I’m feeling that 90s punk/grunge itch.

My upgrade path essentially went 3ch -> Rev G and blew up from there, now I have 5 of them of different versions... and remember on the red channel the presence of both channels affects the tone, since red channel’s presence control is part of the preamp tone stack (so the orange presence control is still active in the power amp).
Yep on the Marshall base. I forgot about the presence control thing with the channels, need to experiment with that more. Can't tell if like the treble on '0' thing or not yet with amp. I do that all the time with my Quick Rod.

You don't want a Rectifier.

Go play on any of them for a hour or two and see if I am wrong.
That's like....your opinion man :D

Last edited:

Or

I found the Dual Gs I owned (2 small logo, early 3-4k serial #) sounded good but even when boosting them, they were still pretty loose, and had a low mid bloat that couldn't be dialed out easily.
G Triples are much tighter, and do not have that low mid bloat that the duals did.
Very obvious differences to my ear; the Triple is the clear winner and it's not close for what I like anyway.

The 'Wall of Sound' to me is the thunderous low end that is always present with a Recto...even the C......and, when you use one with an oversize cab especially. It's also not particularly tight even boosted; except with the earlier or C modded versions.

. Boost orange if you want it tighter, and remember on the red channel the presence of both channels affects the tone, since red channel’s presence control is part of the preamp tone stack (so the orange presence control is still active in the power amp).
i need to revisit this at practice this weekend. i keep forgetting that little tidbit. probably one of the reasons I don't jive with the red channel so much.. i would be perfectly content with a single channel orange/modern.

i need to revisit this at practice this weekend. i keep forgetting that little tidbit. probably one of the reasons I don't jive with the red channel so much.. i would be perfectly content with a single channel orange/modern.
The C mod I did to a Triple (got it from the Boogie forum) really improved the Red; took it closer to the Orange Modern.

Back