Who forgot to tell me how awesome the Suhr Aldrich pickup is?

VESmedic

Actually, no one. BUT. I forgot how much it rules. I have one in my les paul and I absolutely love it, but haven’t played it in awhile. Thought I would see how it sounded tuned down to drop C and WOOOOOO!! this thing rules. Easily top 3 favorite pickups for me. I decided to hit record while I was just doing some stupid riffing just enjoying the response of the pickup, so enjoy the mono guitar wanking!

Gibson Les Paul Standard ( nitro finish)
Suhr aldrich bridge pickup
EVH 5153 EL34 100 watt
Marshall 1960BV
SM57/ Ehrlund EHR-D , about -20DB below the SM57, this thing rules.

Enjoy!

Who is rockin the suhr Aldrich?

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Tf1ap9uo2YXj1YJ86

Last edited:
I asked this forum for pickups for my LP classic and the Aldrich was mentioned often. I grabbed a set and got my tech to do a setup and holy shit it made an already great guitar better.

Glad I’m not the only one! for anyone that cares, I added a stereo clip of that tone with two takes. I often hear people wondering how to identify if a mono guitar tone will be great in stereo when actually being used in a track. To me, this is a great mono track and easily would be great double tracked to my ear, so here it is, double tracked to show the differences :)

COMPLETE with me knocking the guitar out of tune on the open chords and everything… sick… little heavy handed on the pro MB here but oh well, still rules.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/2tHNNQ2aR89cfTFh9

Aldrich's always sound good at home practising/recording but when I plugged them in loud amp at rehearsal space they always sound bloathed/too much fat and nowhere enough clarity in LP style guitar.

Actually, no one. BUT. I forgot how much it rules. I have one in my les paul and I absolutely love it, but haven’t played it in awhile. Thought I would see how it sounded tuned down to drop C and WOOOOOO!! this thing rules. Easily top 3 favorite pickups for me. I decided to hit record while I was just doing some stupid riffing just enjoying the response of the pickup, so enjoy the mono guitar wanking!

Gibson Les Paul Standard ( nitro finish)
Suhr aldrich bridge pickup
EVH 5153 EL34 100 watt
Marshall 1960BV
SM57/ Ehrlund EHR-D , about -20DB below the SM57, this thing rules.

Enjoy!

Who is rockin the suhr Aldrich?

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Tf1ap9uo2YXj1YJ86
i have a single hum jackson that i'm considering putting the Aldrich in.

I have one in my '87 LPC.. it rips. I'm tempted to put one in the bridge of my new Suhr too since I like the little extra push it has.

Played one for years in my Tom Anderson. Then got the Kamikaze with a jb in it. Made the Anderson sound like a toy. Probably the combo of the guitar wood etc on the ESP.
Played that for few years. Switched over to Dimarzio X2n and that’s been my number one. Put it in all my guitars.

Aldrich's always sound good at home practising/recording but when I plugged them in loud amp at rehearsal space they always sound bloathed/too much fat and nowhere enough clarity in LP style guitar.

Sometimes that just happens man. Guitars are different from each other, have their own personality, and react differently to pickup swaps.

Everyone has a story about a guitar that has a JB or something that sounds amazing, or a throwbak that sounds like dogshit.

The variability from guitar to guitar makes this not an exact science.

Sometimes that just happens man. Guitars are different from each other, have their own personality, and react differently to pickup swaps.

Everyone has a story about a guitar that has a JB or something that sounds amazing, or a throwbak that sounds like dogshit.

Truth!!! Every little different factor makes s different. All trial and error

Of course it is guitar-dependent. Aldrich worked great in all mahagony Suhr modern satin I had. Still one of the best heavy overwound Alnico 5 on market. But when I tried PAF variants in LP, those weren’t much weaker but a lot of more detail and clarity. My no.1 is Heritage80 LP and it has ‘that’ fat tele sound which is not present in any of Reissues or USA standard production line guitar so maybe this is part of the ‘problem’ 😀

Haha it was years ago with a JB where I learned this lesson. It sounded like garbage in a Jackson King V it came stock in. I didn't know any better at the time, so I always thought it was the worst pickup after that. I picked up another guitar a few years down and was lead to believe there were some OEM Duncan pickups in there. It sounded killer with the stock pickups, but of course I have to mess around with pickups. The stock pickups still sounded better than some boutique pickups I tried in there. I reached out to the builder to get the lowdown on the "OEM" Duncans. Apparently they weren't. Just a plain old JB/Jazz set. Lesson learned lol.

I had a similar experience with the Aldrich as well. A while back I picked up a Suhr Modern that had a set. The build quality on that guitar was spot on and it played great. It really felt like a precision built machine. The guitar sounded crisp and clear, but it had no balls and just didn't push the front end well. It just felt weak and thin, and it sounded like a toy compared to my other guitars. It really surprised me. Obviously these pickups have some heat and it was wired correctly, so I just chalked that one up to the guitar.

So yeah, got to find the right match.

Back