Who here is using a multifx with their amps and 4cm?

ratter

(UPDATE: Decided to go with separate pedals.)

What are you using, what do you like, what don't you like?

I'm looking to invest in some effects and I'm trying to decide whether to put together a small pedalboard or go with a multifx that I can use with the 4 cable method and my mini rectifier.

Essential effects for me are wah, vibe, boost up front, echo in the loop. Relay switching for the amp would be nice. Anything beyond that is gravy.

If I go with a multi-fx, I want it to be stomp-able. Ideally either a floorboard unit itself (hd500, m13, GT-10/100, etc.), or if a rack unit, then something that will match nicely with a simple controller.

If the Nova System did 4cm, I would be done looking. But alas...

Have used the m13 on one of my boards (I get bored easily) for a long time. It works great IMO. The only liitation is maximum of 4 fx at once. If you can live with that it is awesome. Running 4CM it is particularly versatile as you can program where the insert is i.e. 1fx out front and 3fx in loop or 2 by 2, or 3 by 1, per patch. There are outputs for 2 expression pedals (I use one for a volume pedal), onboard noise suppressor, tuner, looper, etc, and stereo outputs which I run my 2nd output into the return of a 2nd head and get a pretty big sound.

ratter":2075pq0c said:
What are you using, what do you like, what don't you like?

I'm looking to invest in some effects and I'm trying to decide whether to put together a small pedalboard or go with a multifx that I can use with the 4 cable method and my mini rectifier.

Essential effects for me are wah, vibe, boost up front, echo in the loop. Relay switching for the amp would be nice. Anything beyond that is gravy.

If I go with a multi-fx, I want it to be stomp-able. Ideally either a floorboard unit itself (hd500, m13, GT-10/100, etc.), or if a rack unit, then something that will match nicely with a simple controller.

If the Nova System did 4cm, I would be done looking. But alas...

I'm using both a digitech Rp1000 and /or a Digitech GSP1101 with the 4 cable method. I think both are killer. The only downfall is that the don't have relay switching. I am able to switch my JVM because the GSP has midi. (no relay swicthing)
Ive heard good things about the m13 but never used it live.

If I'm being honest, I have not yet heard of any digital device that does a convincing vibe, so if you really want that effect, id go the pedal route and use a gig rig type switcher where you can program all your effects and channel switching on the fly.

There are so many ways to do this that Id more then likely make your head spin if I mentioned them all lol :D

I'm leaning more towards separate pedals since I don't need a huge variety. I mainly just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything new and spectacular in the world of multifx lol.

I didn't like the MIDI implementation on the M13. I use a BOSS GT-8. That was really the last good-sounding BOSS multi-effects unit IMHO. The GT-10 simply sounds too digital and sterile, and the GT-100 just doesn't sound as warm or "analog" as the GT-8 to my ears. I think BOSS is going too far in some particular direction with some of their COSM gear that's not producing the desired results.

GT-8 has it all--dual effects banks, relay switching, assignable loop position, and can be had used for great prices now that it's technically two generations back.

I'm using the Digitech iPB-10 with the 4CM and a DSL100. I run the green channel on crunch. I have 5 main patches setup:

1 - Bypass the DSL preamp and run my clean tone using the iPB's modelling with some chorus and delay.

2 - This is my crunch patch...think ACDC. I use the DSL's preamp (green channel crunch). In my effects chain I use the iPB's stompbox models of an SD-1 and phase 90. The loop has a detuner and delay. I also use the foot pedal for volume and wah.

3 - same as patch 2 but with the SD-1 engaged so it's always on.

4 - this patch differs with the set list...sometimes it'll have a tremelo for certain songs or a flanger, etc...

5 - Lead patch...it's basically my heavy patch but with a more pronounced delay and a volume boost. No relying on sound guys!

My favorite part is that it uses an iPad to build your boards...you SEE the pedals and where you place them. However, you don't need to have the ipad in the iPB to use it live if you're afraid of something happening to it.

racerevlon":yhpcm2bz said:
I didn't like the MIDI implementation on the M13. I use a BOSS GT-8. That was really the last good-sounding BOSS multi-effects unit IMHO. The GT-10 simply sounds too digital and sterile, and the GT-100 just doesn't sound as warm or "analog" as the GT-8 to my ears. I think BOSS is going too far in some particular direction with some of their COSM gear that's not producing the desired results.

GT-8 has it all--dual effects banks, relay switching, assignable loop position, and can be had used for great prices now that it's technically two generations back.

Midi isn't really a concern. I don't have any midi gear to speak of. If the unit has amp switching relays I'll use them, otherwise I'll just keep using the amp footswitch.

The GT-8..that's the Nuno one, right? How's the wah?

SkyhighRocks":yhpcm2bz said:
I'm using the Digitech iPB-10 with the 4CM and a DSL100. I run the green channel on crunch. I have 5 main patches setup:

1 - Bypass the DSL preamp and run my clean tone using the iPB's modelling with some chorus and delay.

2 - This is my crunch patch...think ACDC. I use the DSL's preamp (green channel crunch). In my effects chain I use the iPB's stompbox models of an SD-1 and phase 90. The loop has a detuner and delay. I also use the foot pedal for volume and wah.

3 - same as patch 2 but with the SD-1 engaged so it's always on.

4 - this patch differs with the set list...sometimes it'll have a tremelo for certain songs or a flanger, etc...

5 - Lead patch...it's basically my heavy patch but with a more pronounced delay and a volume boost. No relying on sound guys!

My favorite part is that it uses an iPad to build your boards...you SEE the pedals and where you place them. However, you don't need to have the ipad in the iPB to use it live if you're afraid of something happening to it.

Live isn't an issue - this is just for home use. And I have an iPad...hmm...

I'm using a TC G-System. I like the flexibilty of it and the effects quality. One button pushing to turn on and off effects and loops and switch amp channels is great. I don't like not having the abilty to route certain effects the way I want but I get around that by putting my favorite pedals in the G's loops. Others would complain that it sucks tone and needs additional gear like buffers and hum eliminators depending on the amp used in conjunction with it. But I don't fall in that category. It works perfectly with my amps. (5150 III's 100 watt's and 50 watt) I tried the line 6 stuff like the HD 500 and M13 but just didn't gel with it. I do also have a TC G-Force that I use with a ground Control Pro and a GCX loop switcher but not really a 4 cable set up per say.

victim5150":r8eskgna said:
I'm using a TC G-System. I like the flexibilty of it and the effects quality. One button pushing to turn on and off effects and loops and switch amp channels is great. I don't like not having the abilty to route certain effects the way I want but I get around that by putting my favorite pedals in the G's loops. Others would complain that it sucks tone and needs additional gear like buffers and hum eliminators depending on the amp used in conjunction with it. But I don't fall in that category. It works perfectly with my amps. (5150 III's 100 watt's and 50 watt) I tried the line 6 stuff like the HD 500 and M13 but just didn't gel with it. I do also have a TC G-Force that I use with a ground Control Pro and a GCX loop switcher but not really a 4 cable set up per say.

The G-System looks like the holy mother of 4cm boards. Some of the reviews are a little scary like you alluded to. I love the idea of amp switching AND the stomp loops.

Sometimes.

I've used the Axe-II in a 4CM configuration with additional pedals "up front" as well as "in the back" and "looped". I've controlled MIDI pedals such as the TF in the backs of the amps, I also use a RV-7. Upfront, I use my stomps that need me: wah, compressor, dirt.

Honestly, the whole thing gives me a headache. Furthermore, I find the A2 to be unreliable in the 4CM config - it sometimes makes hissing and humming, and it sometimes doesn't. I'm also a bit of a purist and would PREFER my tone goes direct to amp with no buffering if possible. I've looped my stomps out front in a TBP set up. But as soon as you go 4CM, you're going analogue to digital.

I've gone from the above set up with about 16 to 20 stomps, all the way down to GTR > 2 or 3 stomps > AMP > Looped reverb and DD > Cab

Good luck - this shit keeps me up at night if I'm not careful :LOL: :LOL:

Ventura":44523nvy said:
I've gone from the above set up with about 16 to 20 stomps, all the way down to GTR > 2 or 3 stomps > AMP > Looped reverb and DD > Cab

Like I said, I'm leaning that way. It's not going to keep me up at night because this is my madison square bedroom rig and nothing more. But I'm a fan of good toanz. :LOL: :LOL:

I'm also leaning that way because if I go for separate pedals, a DD would be the only digital device I go for. So only one A/D-D/A conversion in the chain. Or I could even get a Carbon Copy and be completely analog.

Filling up my Amazon cart right now lol...

Ok, talked myself into it. Ordered a carbon copy for the loop and I'll flesh out the front with other pedals. Thinking a Cantrell wah to start...

I ditched my giant pedalboard for an RP1000. Had my mind set on the TC G System, but after looking at the RP1000 longer, decided to give it a shot. Never thought in a million years I'd use one, but I have to say it's pretty killer. Being able to use the RP1000's amp models into my amps power section works great. Covers a ton of ground and also sounds great recorded direct.

Nuno used an ME-5 on III Sides. That was BOSS'S first multi-effects unit (I had one) and sounds good. The GT-8 is the class of the field IMHO--I've owned every BOSS multi-effects incarnation; ME-5, ME-6, GT-3, GT-5, GT-6, and up to GT-8. I never bought a GT-10 as I played a friend's and I couldn't get a good sound out of it, and I've found the same issue with the new GT-100. Just too digital sounding... Go GT-8 you'll be happy. The wah is activated via a toe switch on the volume pedal and there are a few different wahs to choose from, all with tweakable parameters.

For a bedroom rig, I do an HD500 4cm into a 6505+. As we all know, the 6505 can be a one trick pony; this offers me different tones to play around with when I want some flavors. Ill usually go a week on the 6505 and then switch for something else. The HD5 is not great at high gain tones; it does them, but they all sound pretty digital. I think it shines a lot more for medium gain and clean tones.

Gilmour-esque type stuff sounds great, as does some lighter sounding Devin Townsend ala Accelerated Evolution. The effects are decent enough to play around with at home and it's cheaper than building a big pedalboard, and if I get bored with certain sounds, I can always D/L something new, or just make patches.

Any questions feel free to pm.

ratter":3fcs27we said:
Ok, talked myself into it. Ordered a carbon copy for the loop and I'll flesh out the front with other pedals. Thinking a Cantrell wah to start...
Money pedal right there - know a lot of cats to use the Cantrell siggy wah. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
ratter":3fcs27we said:
Ventura":3fcs27we said:

Like I said, I'm leaning that way. It's not going to keep me up at night because this is my madison square bedroom rig and nothing more. But I'm a fan of good toanz. :LOL: :LOL:
Ya, as crazy as it sounds, everyone of those stomps has a specialty I've yet to get from the Ultra or Axe-II, so I'm more into the "less is more", even if it's a one-trick stomp. As mentioned, they all have their incredible strong points, but I use them sparingly. What I've been working with Rooster on (TT pedalboards) is a hybrid approach - stomps up front - with stomps racked. Man, by the time you start adding it all up (new rack, drawers, one or two RJM gizmos, MIDI controlling, plus pedalboard up front with TBP loops, cabling, plus the ability to run it into 1 or 2 amps.......it gets a bit outta hand.

When I practice, it's usually with ZERO FX. I'm finding the more I do this, the better my tone and capabilities with the amp/amps. That said, can't do covers during jams without the right flavoring, and some of these covers need a lot.

Good luck with it. Amazon rules :LOL: :LOL:

I also use the Digitech iPB-10 in 4CM with my amp. I went the route of big-ass pedalboards with tons of boutique pedals for a long time, but I got tired of the hassles. I just use the iPB-10 for effects, and it's great. Editing the effects with the iPad interface is amazingly simple and fast. Plus it's great to be able to have the pre-loop/post loop setting different on every patch if you want.

I tried the G-System and HD500 and IMHO they both suck tone from the amp. I tried the G-System on a few amps and same thing. I got it close but the closer you get your tone to where you want the more noise you add because you have to add input gain.

Never tried the M13. I think the Digitech is the one unit that's specifically made for this layout but IMHO individual pedals usually sound better.

From the ones mentioned here, RP1000, GT8, iPB10 - is there one that sounds transparent in bypass? What about several options for the amp's loop level (line vs. pedals)?

For example I loved the sound of the M13 effects, but couldn't get over it that it only had relay switching in the main in/out, but not the loop section. And I hate what boss pedal buffers do to the guitar signal. If there is a Multifx that doesn't color the tone of the guitar/amp, I would be all over it.

Back