Who here is using a multifx with their amps and 4cm?

hunter":dbo6aonr said:
From the ones mentioned here, RP1000, GT8, iPB10 - is there one that sounds transparent in bypass? What about several options for the amp's loop level (line vs. pedals)?

For example I loved the sound of the M13 effects, but couldn't get over it that it only had relay switching in the main in/out, but not the loop section. And I hate what boss pedal buffers do to the guitar signal. If there is a Multifx that doesn't color the tone of the guitar/amp, I would be all over it.

Seems like opinions are all over the map. I guess transparency can be a subjective thing.

ratter":16o3qsai said:
hunter":16o3qsai said:
From the ones mentioned here, RP1000, GT8, iPB10 - is there one that sounds transparent in bypass? What about several options for the amp's loop level (line vs. pedals)?

For example I loved the sound of the M13 effects, but couldn't get over it that it only had relay switching in the main in/out, but not the loop section. And I hate what boss pedal buffers do to the guitar signal. If there is a Multifx that doesn't color the tone of the guitar/amp, I would be all over it.

Seems like opinions are all over the map. I guess transparency can be a subjective thing.

Well I read the manuals of the Boss and the RP1000. On the latter it's actually foreseen to be used with 4CM as opposed on the Boss you would "abuse" the loop of the unit for this purpose. But this doesn't tell me that the one sounds better than the other.

hunter":2gm4j4lx said:
And I hate what boss pedal buffers do to the guitar signal. If there is a Multifx that doesn't color the tone of the guitar/amp, I would be all over it.

If you had a pedalboard with all True-Bypass pedals and some 20 foot cables for FX loop, then a Boss buffer would only help the tone of a setup like that. That's why I ditched the Korg tuner I had which was TB and went back to the Boss tuner I had for years. See, I was better off all those years using regular shit and after reading about TB pedals I was convinced I needed ALL TB on my board.....WRONG. :doh:

hunter":2fzizo4s said:
ratter":2fzizo4s said:
hunter":2fzizo4s said:

Well I read the manuals of the Boss and the RP1000. On the latter it's actually foreseen to be used with 4CM as opposed on the Boss you would "abuse" the loop of the unit for this purpose. But this doesn't tell me that the one sounds better than the other.
I can tell you that the iPB-10 does not alter my tone when using it in 4CM for effects (with the amp sims off). I tried lots of other units that did suck tone in the loop, so I was very glad this unit does not.

squank":1nojakig said:
hunter":1nojakig said:
ratter":1nojakig said:
hunter":1nojakig said:

I can tell you that the iPB-10 does not alter my tone when using it in 4CM for effects (with the amp sims off). I tried lots of other units that did suck tone in the loop, so I was very glad this unit does not.

But would'nt you think it depends on impedances and levels a particular amp has in the loop? Maybe it's just right for some amps, but others might prefer a different unit. Think about the touchyness of levels when installing a loop in a JMP for example. It's critical that the signal fits right in, isn't it?

hunter":33oofi3p said:
squank":33oofi3p said:
ratter":33oofi3p said:

But would'nt you think it depends on impedances and levels a particular amp has in the loop? Maybe it's just right for some amps, but others might prefer a different unit. Think about the touchyness of levels when installing a loop in a JMP for example. It's critical that the signal fits right in, isn't it?
Yes, it really does. Amp loops do vary a lot. But in my experience, some units tend to suck more or less tone across the board. That is, the iPB-10 might sound better in some loops than others, but it will still sound better in those other amps than a Tonelab, which I found to suck tone across quite a few amps.

It's also important to remember that I don't use amp sims. So my analysis is not taking them into account. And I do know that the amp sims in these multi-efx units are often the worse part of the tone sucking.

After watching this, iPB-10>GT-8, except for the fact that you need an iPAD. The GT-8 can do 95% of this stuff and is self-contained.

hunter":3l9w66gz said:
I like that ... A LOT!

The interface looks really great. And all the videos I've seen sound really good, including Rich's up above. I haven't ruled it put yet even tho I just bought another echo pedal.

If it included amp switching I would be even more tempted. Although I guess you can get a similar effect by just bypassing the amp' preamp for clean tones. I really, really like my pushed clean channel on my amp though.

ratter":3l9m0eim said:
hunter":3l9m0eim said:
I like that ... A LOT!

The interface looks really great. And all the videos I've seen sound really good, including Rich's up above. I haven't ruled it put yet even tho I just bought another echo pedal.

If it included amp switching I would be even more tempted. Although I guess you can get a similar effect by just bypassing the amp' preamp for clean tones. I really, really like my pushed clean channel on my amp though.

I was thinking external amp switcher, now I just realised it doesn't have a midi out :doh:

racerevlon":togrk38u said:
After watching this, iPB-10>GT-8, except for the fact that you need an iPAD. The GT-8 can do 95% of this stuff and is self-contained.

Get the RP1000 then. It's pretty much the same unit. I use one in the 4CM on my JCM800 with a metro loop installed. It works out great because I changed my single channel amp into a multichannel amp by using the 800 as my main sound and amp models for clean and over the top modern amp models. Just a ton of versitility and very convenient. I mostly just use it for the OD's, chorus and delays. And, I find those stomp models to sound very good. The phase and vibe aren't that good but are passable for me because I don't use them much. But a nice feature is you can just stick a pedal into the stomp loop, which works very well. I wish the amp models were a little better though. The clean and low/mid gain stuff is pretty good. But the really high gain is not that good, IMO. Maybe if I was more of a tweaker but on the recto models that just have that digital quality.

I find the bypass to work good. It does have that quirk where if you are using an amp model and hit bypass, it goes to just straight power amp instead of through the preamp of the amp. Kind of irritating but I work around it. I am very much looking forward to the seeing a new product to follow up the RP/GSP series. If they just make a few inprovements featurewise and get the modeling down a little better, it could be unbelievable.

Schaf":1cmz53fp said:
racerevlon":1cmz53fp said:

Get the RP1000 then. It's pretty much the same unit. I use one in the 4CM on my JCM800 with a metro loop installed. It works out great because I changed my single channel amp into a multichannel amp by using the 800 as my main sound and amp models for clean and over the top modern amp models. Just a ton of versitility and very convenient. I mostly just use it for the OD's, chorus and delays. And, I find those stomp models to sound very good. The phase and vibe aren't that good but are passable for me because I don't use them much. But a nice feature is you can just stick a pedal into the stomp loop, which works very well. I wish the amp models were a little better though. The clean and low/mid gain stuff is pretty good. But the really high gain is not that good, IMO. Maybe if I was more of a tweaker but on the recto models that just have that digital quality.

I find the bypass to work good. It does have that quirk where if you are using an amp model and hit bypass, it goes to just straight power amp instead of through the preamp of the amp. Kind of irritating but I work around it. I am very much looking forward to the seeing a new product to follow up the RP/GSP series. If they just make a few inprovements featurewise and get the modeling down a little better, it could be unbelievable.

Go! Right Now! and download, (Super easy with the cable you got) the USER created patches at Digitech. NIGHT AND DAY.

I got it for the 4CM, and Effects, and sound quality, (After MUCH research) I had heard the amp Algorithms were'nt all that, and when I got I was Actually dissapointed! the Recto patch like you said was pretty steril... (I LOVE my tube amp collection so I dont have an issue with it, the RP ones are for practice, etc...)
Bu I finally downloaded the Player submitted ones, and HOLY SHIT! they sound Good! Peoples have taken the hours and know how, (I don't have,... or, uh, have) to tweek the EQ's in clever ways that make this thing pop.

Do yourself a favor, and do it. This unit kills the others.

WITH! the disclaimer that, If I could still carry a rack, (with all the otehr shit I gotta carry cause I sing) OR had $$$ for NICE pedals, I'd go that route. This is All in one, and killer.

ConcreteVampire":35s9nsc5 said:
Schaf":35s9nsc5 said:
racerevlon":35s9nsc5 said:

Go! Right Now! and download, (Super easy with the cable you got) the USER created patches at Digitech. NIGHT AND DAY.

I got it for the 4CM, and Effects, and sound quality, (After MUCH research) I had heard the amp Algorithms were'nt all that, and when I got I was Actually dissapointed! the Recto patch like you said was pretty steril... (I LOVE my tube amp collection so I dont have an issue with it, the RP ones are for practice, etc...)
Bu I finally downloaded the Player submitted ones, and HOLY SHIT! they sound Good! Peoples have taken the hours and know how, (I don't have,... or, uh, have) to tweek the EQ's in clever ways that make this thing pop.

Do yourself a favor, and do it. This unit kills the others.

WITH! the disclaimer that, If I could still carry a rack, (with all the otehr shit I gotta carry cause I sing) OR had $$$ for NICE pedals, I'd go that route. This is All in one, and killer.

I got some patches of the patch share. Most are set up with cab models to run direct and tend not to work for me because of the way I run mine. I end up having to tweak the shit out of them anyway, so it's easier to start form scratch. But that's because it is so easy to dial in. I think many of the amp models are very good. It's just that the high gain models are the ones to me that need some workl.

The user "Singtail" that's on this forum has some killer patches for the GSP/RP. And he has some set up just for 4CM. But that dude could dial anything in to sound good. He seems to get good sound out of most anything he trys

Back