Why do people think their relics (especially homemade) are worth a ton?

Matt300ZXT

Is there something in the water these days or what? There's a dude on Craigslist selling a 1992 Mexican Strat that was already relic'ed...even though I'm sure that was looooooooooooong before relic'ing was popular (probably just crappy homemade mods over the years and scratches and dings), and then he beat it up some more at home for a real worn in look and somehow thinks it's worth $800? There's obvious abrupt paint wear from where he sanded it and didn't really blend it by spreading it out or anything, so it's just scratched up black then POW, wood underneath with a lil bit of factory red paint showing.

It looks like something your uncle who tried playing guitar for a few months back in the 90s would have bought and tried tinkering with before just putting it away in his garage, then during a family reunion it comes up in conversation that you play guitar, so he just gives it to you to keep it in the family.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 62
What determines a "Mint" condition guitar vs a somewhat beat up guitar is whether it's currently playable . If it's playable and doesn't require major work it's listed as mint .

Shops like MJT or Nash create some rad relic finishes, that are works of art in their own way. The DIY'ers with sanders are just ruining otherwise good instruments.

Its testing the question of..."It has been said a sucker is born every minute, are perhaps TWO suckers born every minute?"

We just need one more sucker and qed.

I’ve never bought a “relic’d” guitar, but I assume it means it’s in new playable shape and not worn out (new frets, new pots, neck, etc…) but it’s made to look worn and played so it feels good.
I saw a local Craigslist post of a 1990’s Fender strat where the seller said it was “naturally relic’d” and showed pics of the dings and scratches. I thought it was a clever selling point but no one would be that stupid. But who knows.

Because most of relics sucks, and look fake. For what i seen only Danocaster really nailed it, and can make a guitar look old.

Are you in GA? I swear I saw that same bullshit on Atlanta CL. 90’s MIM strat “relic” for $800… l m a o

Meanwhile there’s an American Performer Strat on Reverb with some actual play wear for like $850.

Are you in GA? I swear I saw that same bullshit on Atlanta CL. 90’s MIM strat “relic” for $800… l m a o

Meanwhile there’s an American Performer Strat on Reverb with some actual play wear for like $850.
I'm in Chattanooga but I frequent the Atlanta and Nashville Craigslists...it is on the Atlanta one lol

This is similar to both companies and individuals who build a Trainwreck clone and think it’s worth double what their other amps sell for. Klon clones are the same way

Last edited:
Back