Why dont snares sound like snares anymore?

Simon Phillips' snare sound is always amazing. Probably one of the only drummers that hasn't sold his or her soul to the shitty producers these days.
Don't forget you also have a lot of shit snares and toms from the 80's as well.... any Dokken snare for example. There were a ton of misses and overly gated sounds back then too unfortunately. But overall it was definitely better
True, but I'd take Dokken snare over the shit we have now any day.

Does anyone care to post their favorite snare sounds in modern metal? Or least? Feel free
Depends what you mean by "modern metal" - if you mean the endless legions of meshuggah clones on satellite radio, I don't have any 🤣

If you want an example of a relatively modern heavy metal record with a great, relatively natural drum sound, the first that comes to mind is this:

They're probably using a sample in addition to the live sound, if I'm hearing it correctly, but it's tasteful and well done. As opposed to say, the latest jinjer or code orange.

Depends what you mean by "modern metal" - if you mean the endless legions of meshuggah clones on satellite radio, I don't have any 🤣

If you want an example of a relatively modern heavy metal record with a great, relatively natural drum sound, the first that comes to mind is this:

They're probably using a sample in addition to the live sound, if I'm hearing it correctly, but it's tasteful and well done. As opposed to say, the latest jinjer or code orange.

I think these guys like Angel Witch and NWOBHM in general..lol. I dig it.

Simon Phillips' snare sound is always amazing. Probably one of the only drummers that hasn't sold his or her soul to the shitty producers these days.

True, but I'd take Dokken snare over the shit we have now any day.
the solo he did in this vid is jaw dropping and he is very skilled and involved in the micing/recording of his kit as a talented producer.

i’ve been very blessed to have seen my favorite drummers live in intimate settings.
steve smith in vital information with gambale at cahuenga bar and grill, dave weckl with chick c. electrik band at the same club, and vinnie colautia at coach house with robben ford and at baked potato with dyno four and landau trio w/jimmy johnson on bass.

the landau gig in particular i could have touched vinnie’s ride i was that close. and the lesson he taught me was that he played with enough intensity to break sticks, but never once caused me any discomfort volume-wise, and i generally cringe at close range drums from 30 yrs of live sound engineering! finesse, tuning, and imo being the best drummer on the planet!

the landau gig in particular i could have touched vinnie’s ride i was that close. and the lesson he taught me was that he played with enough intensity to break sticks, but never once caused me any discomfort volume-wise, and i generally cringe at close range drums from 30 yrs of live sound engineering! finesse, tuning, and imo being the best drummer on the planet!
Drummers like that are a rare breed nowdays. Most of the drummers i've seen on youtube or live hit their drums like a 7 year old.

Not to mention that most of them don't even know what a rimshot is. :^)

confession:
used to run sound at church for many different musicians legendary and horrific—there was one kid who swung heavy sticks and bashed. after a 20 minute performance his sticks would be destroyed from rim shots-the middle of both sticks were splayed open like a beaver gnawed on them corn on the cob style— and he left a small pile of wood chips under his snare, which was tuned tighter than a submarine hatch. my nickname for him was the blacksmith because he beat on the bell of his ride like he was forging horseshoes.

i tried for years to be patient and encouraging, reasoning with him about volume, quality of the mix, and finesse to no avail. so one day i resolved to raise the volume of everything else up in the mix just to match and overcome his stage volume. the complaints came raging!

i explained to those people being offended this would likely be the new norm unless jr got it together. kid decided to move on versus compromise his “art”. 😵

moral: i don’t think it’s the snare’s fault it sounds bad.

my nickname for him was the blacksmith because he beat on the bell of his ride like he was forging horseshoes.
LOL I want the Blacksmith in my band. We can get Paiste, Zildjian and Evans to sponsor us.

On a real note. It's not like you have to punish your drums and cymbals, but i swear a lot of drummers are completely limp-wristed when it comes to playing them.

What i've read and heard is that easing down a bit on cymbals actually makes them sound better, but on snare and toms you should actually put some weight into it to make it sound more energetic.

The unfortunate fact is that rimshots eat your sticks, sooner or later.

What I've read and heard is that easing down a bit on cymbals actually makes them sound better, but on snare and toms you should actually put some weight into it to make it sound more energetic.
I'm no drummer but I've played enough drums (and played with enough drummers) to be able to how true this is. People say guitar tone is in the fingers. I think that principal applies to drums and any instrument with dynamic and or pitch control available to the player (so, non-velocity sensitive keyboards don't count). How you attack your instrument determines the tonality that will be heard, and that's as important as hitting the right note at the right time for your playing to sound like music.

Very nice natural sound. Even the guitars sound 'naked' in a good way.

'Modern' metal, pretty good snare sound (still a tad too gated/compressed for my taste, but at least you can hear the actual... y'know...SNARES...

The intro of the song, style-wise + production actually reminds me of Exciter during the Long Live the Loud-era...or a bit Omen (if they had the Fates Warning guy on vocals )🤘 (y):

Another good, dry snare (still heavy on the compression tho' ) with awesome thrash song:

Btw, kudos to @mentoneman ; those songs ALL had great snare-sounds. Even Tom Petty...I don't care for him that much... and here, since to me he sounds too much like Mr. Mackey from South Park ("Drugs are bad, m'kay?") spefically in that song, but excellent example of a good snare sound.

Last edited:
Back