Why no Marshall amplification in the amp section ?

I think most guys that don’t like Marshalls haven’t had the opportunity to play a real Marshall at volume. Then you’d get it. Even a great 2203 doesn’t measure up to an older metal face JMP Superlead…I’ve had plenty stock/modded 2203s and they are killer until you play a stock vintage Superlead + a boost.
There is just no substitute for that tone. My 72 made my C+ Coliseum sound small.
True story.

True that.

Accurate and I'll never play one more than likely. If I was going to get one it want the old kt66 or whatever and those are impossible to find.

Even if I did get the other, for $2k-$3k I just feel they're so old they're ready to fail. Cant see myself spending so much on something that old and heavy.

Hey Maddnotez - good to see you gain.

I've never played a legacy 70's Marshall JCM/JMP at volume. Maybe I'd be blown away :dunno: A lot of my fav tunes from the 70s/80's was most likely the bark out of one of these :yes:

Being a bit knew to all of this, I was skeptical of trying to secure one of these and for similar reasons. I don't know how to work on it if something blows up. No clean channel (which ultimately I rarely use). No FX loop, kind of fun - but not required. And a perceived lack of low end / brittle highs. Hence the Splawn acquisition. Now that I know more - my mind is more open :yes:

Last edited:
True that.

Hey Maddnotez - good to see you gain.

I've never played a legacy 70's Marshall JCM/JMP at volume. Maybe I'd be blown away :dunno: A lot of my fav tunes from the 70s/80's was mostly likely the bark out of one of these :yes:

Being a bit knew to all of this, I was skeptical of trying to secure one of these and for similar reasons. I don't know how to work on it if something blows up. No clean channel (which ultimately I rarely use). No FX loop, kind of fun - but not required. And a perceived lack of low end / brittle highs. Hence the Splawn acquisition. Now that I know more - my mind is more open :yes:
The perceived lack of lows/tightness disappears with volume, at least it does on mine. While no one will confuse it for a Triple Rec or Uber, there’s plenty tight low end for anything 80s including 80s thrash imo.
Plus, these amps as long as you make sure the caps are good are pretty damn reliable. The older 60s versions liked to see 110v so I think those really need a regulator/variac to keep them from seeing 120/125v, which is why many 60s plexis have replaced PTs.

The perceived lack of lows/tightness disappears with volume, at least it does on mine. While no one will confuse it for a Triple Rec or Uber, there’s plenty tight low end for anything 80s including 80s thrash imo.
Plus, these amps as long as you make sure the caps are good are pretty damn reliable. The older 60s versions liked to see 110v so I think those really need a regulator/variac to keep them from seeing 120/125v, which is why many 60s plexis have replaced PTs.
I understand completely. And the perception I'm talking about was from recorded tones, I've never played one at volume like I said. Recorded tones such as our favorite albums. I have played JVMs, DSLs, 2555 and the Plexi reissue, 1959 I think, at pretty decent volumes in a GC loud room.

I don't know, is this pretty accurate? Anyone seen this before? Not sure where I found it.

mxfm5Vd.png

That's great news!
A Marshall sub forum would be great. Maybe someone from the JVM forum could post the whole encyclopedia of modes that exist for the JVM and everything Marshall-related of course.
On the other hand, if Santiago is back, maybe a JVM REBORN is on the way? :unsure:
The JVM forum is gone.

If he’s back, I hope he can blueprint a real Jose A Marshall and put out a real deal clone. That would be huge imo.
Yeah, no shit. He did do the YJM, and AFD. Not sure if he did the Vintage Modern, but point being, there's endless possibilities.

I know he was basically told what to do when he was there. They actually took the TSL as the frame work, and told him to make it a Flagship 4-channel amp.. The JVM... I don't think he was ever given the opportunity to create anything on his own. I believe its why he left, (as did the Blackstar guys before him). I think there was alot of resistance to new ideas.

Blackstar should have made that amp. Finally free to do their own thing, and they push out Asian built hybrids, FIRST... FAIL. I know they made a few "boutique" amps, but they shot themselves in the foot and lost those interested by then. Dumb business decision..

Last edited:
I don't know, is this pretty accurate? Anyone seen this before? Not sure where I found it.

mxfm5Vd.png
I think I'd change "with pedals" to all blue. At least the first 6 (not the Major; they'll start on fire if boosted). And, if you include a boosted tone to those categories(everyone knows the real Marshalls; NMV, 2203/4, etc are made to be boosted.) That's the only fair way to judge them, since it's Marshall 101 to get the best tone for rock/metal they need a boost. In fact, after reading the whole chart I'd re do it. With as many cool and different pedals out today, I'd bet you could take any vintage Marshall 1990 and earlier and you could do ANY style listed, just by pedal variation. I don't have much exp with 900s so I can't comment.

I think I'd change "with pedals" to all blue. At least the first 6 (not the Major; they'll start on fire if boosted). And, if you include a boosted tone to those categories(everyone knows the real Marshalls; NMV, 2203/4, etc are made to be boosted.) That's the only fair way to judge them, since it's Marshall 101 to get the best tone for rock/metal they need a boost. In fact, after reading the whole chart I'd re do it. With as many cool and different pedals out today, I'd bet you could take any vintage Marshall 1990 and earlier and you could do ANY style listed, just by pedal variation. I don't have much exp with 900s so I can't comment.
I didn't have the balls to risk boosting my '68 major when I had one, but went to a local store once just to pickup a guitar I had in for a setup and pickup swap and then to briefly test that it was all good to go he plugged me into the Major he had there and he boosted it lol (not my decision). It was played very loud and boosted and thankfully no fire, smoke or anything noticeably wrong lol. It still didn't make me miss my major, but like other Marshall's really became alive with the boosts and got meaner. I didn't like it as much as other NMV Marshall's, but still would beat imo many other amps

The answer to the OP's question is simple:

When a representative shows up here and is willing to field queries on an ongoing basis, we'll do it.
Does the Engl section has a representative? Even if it has, it's usually forum members questioning and answering each other, about all things Engl.
As it is written on the title:
"This is the place to talk all things ENGL".

I think that's the general idea behind the whole concept of having different Amp company sections. To keep things tidy and talk all things X- amp company related. Boutique or not. It would be very practical.
Fender, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, Fryette etc.

Just a thought from a logical point of view.

Makes sense, Chris.

However:
"Manufacturers' Forums" implies representation. I've always been under the impression that that section provided opportunities to communicate directly with reps / owners as an alternative to the email rabbit hole. Of course, I could be wrong, but I suspect this is how the majority has seen it. Is is possible that in the example you gave, the person simply hasn't been active for a while but was there at the beginning?

Another thought:
If we created dedicated sub-forums for all manufacturers there'd be practically nothing left in the main RT sub-forum. Why not a dedicated string-discussion area? How about plectrums? Care and maintenance? The idea of the RT sub-forum is to gather related things together so peeps become aware of them. If we spread everything out, hidden away within "countless" sub-forums, the forum would feel dead.

I'm taking your POV on board of course mate; thank you for the feedback and suggestion.

Yeah they’re not for everyone. Even with 2 boosts they’re not gonna get that super saturated thing like an EVH or Mesa. But for an open sounding raw tone, for me it’s the best I’ve heard/played. I can now see why all my fav players from the 80s always had a favorite Superlead or 50w that they recorded with.
Except now there is a hotmods drop-in to convert to 4 stage preamp… and even the Mesa-brootl crowd boosts their 5150s and rectum fryers with a boost

Makes sense, Chris.

However:
"Manufacturers' Forums" implies representation. I've always been under the impression that that section provided opportunities to communicate directly with reps / owners as an alternative to the email rabbit hole. Of course, I could be wrong, but I suspect this is how the majority has seen it. Is is possible that in the example you gave, the person simply hasn't been active for a while but was there at the beginning?

Another thought:
If we created dedicated sub-forums for all manufacturers there'd be practically nothing left in the main RT sub-forum. Why not a dedicated string-discussion area? How about plectrums? Care and maintenance? The idea of the RT sub-forum is to gather related things together so peeps become aware of them. If we spread everything out, hidden away within "countless" sub-forums, the forum would feel dead.

I'm taking your POV on board of course mate; thank you for the feedback and suggestion.
Hi there!
Thank you for taking the time to explain and for your consideration in this matter.
I'm sure you guys will come up with something that is both, practical and suits the forum's structure.
No matter the outcome, thank you for your forthcoming response and kind words.
Much appreciated 👍🏻

Kind regards,

You're a champ Christos; my pleasure mate.

I put forward your view to the other mods and admin so we'll see if they agree with my take on its purpose or not, and also if there's any wriggle room.

In a perfect world.. that would be great.

In the real world though, of the typical corporate motto "cutting costs to make a profit", whoever the technician/engineer, there's only so much he can work with, within a given budget, that the new product will always miss the quality components to elevate it from greatness to perfection.
Imagine a Marshall JVM with the quality components of a Wizard or Larry amp..

From the other hand though, that's why they don't cost 4K-6K .

For what it is worth, Scott Splawn doesn't participate on this forum or any other for that matter.

Someone asked to have a Splawn subforum created and boom.

Back