Winger 17 - isolated guitar

That's how I feel about Vai. Everyone jizzing over his legato leads that mostly bore me but his rythm playing is awesome.
I can only take Vai in small doses. I definitely dig his earlier stuff more. It’s the Zappa influence. Zappa was a genius, but I only can take his music is doses as well. And I really respect both Vai and Zappa.

Does it sound like one guitar doubled with delay on one side VH1 style or did they delay the second doubled track slightly for more girth and then add delay? Def. not played twice RR style.
It’s an auto-tracked double (one side is delayed, both panned wide), BUT there’s also a Nashville tuned track there too I think he said in the chorus’ to lift them out of the mix without using too much high end EQ. I think that’s a Beau Hill staple. I’d bet that little trick is all over all the Ratt stuff he did as well.

It’s an auto-tracked double (one side is delayed, both panned wide), BUT there’s also a Nashville tuned track there too I think he said in the chorus’ to lift them out of the mix without using too much high end EQ. I think that’s a Beau Hill staple. I’d bet that little trick is all over all the Ratt stuff he did as well.

that's what I thought I was hearing. I've done that to my own clips a few years back and it makes everything sound huge and nice and clean because it is the same track across the board. Allows for player to have more nuances in their playing.

BADASS. great player and these iso tracks always reveal so much about what really works in the mix and how the sum of the parts is greater than what we might think of as "great tone".

It's not one track doubled. It's two performances. Listen at 1:30.
Right. That's what I'm thinking. Reb is playing it slightly differently too. Ala Randy Rhodes. In the 'How to Play' video I posted the instructor talks about this around 4:15.

Also, I forgot to mention, like a lot of these isolated tracks it is amazing how much tighter the playing and the distortion sounds in a mix.

Right. That's what I'm thinking. Reb is playing it slightly differently too. Ala Randy Rhodes. In the 'How to Play' video I posted the instructor talks about this around 4:15.

Also, I forgot to mention, like a lot of these isolated tracks it is amazing how much tighter the playing and the distortion sounds in a mix
I think it's just because you can't hear the drums/beat at the same time.

I'd never read this before. Didn't hear it on the track either.

Untitled.jpg

Maybe it's just super low in the mix.

I have a Wechter Nashville (the only guitar I've ever seen that's purpose-built from the ground up for Nashville tuning) and that thing sounds amazing :love:

It may not be on that song, but per his website ^ (thanks Donnie) it does appear on the album in various places. Keep in mind that the isolated track probably would not contain the Nashville tuned guitar though…

I’d like to hear an isolated track of Hungry off the same album, especially when it’s just guitar and drums after the solo section. The guitar tone seems to change, like it’s super mid boosted. It’s not like the rest of the album. He’s such a great player.

TBH, I thought the iso track sounded a bit disappointing in terms of tone and the guitar tuning isn't sweet. I wasn't really a Winger fan but always thought this song sounded good.

Saw Reb with Whitesnake just a few years ago and thought he was really good.

I can't laugh at his expense considering what the guy went through.

Winger married Beatrice Richter in 1991, but tragedy struck in November 1996 when she was killed in an automobile accident.

Back