Wiring 4 ohm cab for 16?

SkyhighRocks

Hey guys
Just picked up a Lopoline 2x12 cab locally. It has a V30 and seventy/80 16 ohm speakers in it. It's wired for 4 ohms. Is there an easy way to wire it for 16 (8)? Or is it not worth the hassle?

2 16 ohm speakers you can get 8 ohm. 2 8ohm speakers can get either 16 or 4. 4 16 ohm speakers can get 16 or 4. .

232cap":3pndedhz said:
2 16 ohm speakers you can get 8 ohm. 2 8ohm speakers can get either 16 or 4. 4 16 ohm speakers can get 16 or 4. .

This

2 x 16 ohms in parallel will give you 8 ohms
2 x 16 ohms in series will give 32 ohms

OP you want to wire them in parallel to get 8 ohms :thumbsup: ...... an it is a sure bet that the cab is already wired in parallel so get a multimeter and measure it .... will read around 6.8 on the meter

Opened the cab this am and there's actually two 8 ohm speakers in it. Where can I find the wires to wire it? This guy has done weird contraption going on

Home Depot or Lowes has stranded and shielded wire on large spools in their electrical department. Figure out which gauge you want and how many feet that you will need.

A lot of folks just use electric lamp cord, as it is basically the same thing (also from Lowes and Home Depot).

rcm78":k6lbv507 said:
16awg stranded wire will work just fine. Wire the speakers in series to get 16ohms total.
This! but remember that the power handling of the cab will be effectively reduced by half because the load is no longer in parallel.

Ended up going from 8 ohms to 4 with correct wiring. Went to a local car stereo shop and the guy made me some nice shielded connections. Thanks for all the help!

Now that the OP is resolved, maybe I can ask a related question to the Ohm Gurus...

I have a 4x12 loaded with 16ohms speakers
They are wired into pairs into 2 jacks for 8ohms each

If I wanted to run all 4x12, I need 2 cables
On the back of my DMoll, should I use (2) 4ohm jacks?
Or the (2) 8 ohm jacks?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

crankyrayhanky":3qxsvaf0 said:

I would say since they are seperated into pairs, 8 ohms for each pair. Then use the 8 ohm jacks.

However I am not a tech and I would probably call Peter and ask him. ;)

Personally I would rewire that cab into a single 8 ohm load. Why would you ever want to just run 2 speakers in a 4x12?

Also to the OP, I am glad to see you got the issue resolved but I wanted to reply and ask if there is anything I can do to get you to throw that 7080 in the air and shoot it with a shotgun?

That has got to be one of the worst sounding speakers I have ever played :LOL: :LOL: I hope you get a better sound out of it than I did.

crankyrayhanky":2ydin8k4 said:
Now that the OP is resolved, maybe I can ask a related question to the Ohm Gurus...

I have a 4x12 loaded with 16ohms speakers

If I wanted to run all 4x12, I need 2 cables
On the back of my DMoll, should I use (2) 4ohm jacks?
Or the (2) 8 ohm jacks?

I would think you would use the 2 4ohm jacks......the 2 8ohm taps in the amp are for 16ohms x 2 usually. Your speakers are wired to 8ohms each pair so that would be 4 ohm load per tap....but yeah it may pay to check with the amp maker just to be sure whats going on inside your amp wiring wise

Bro.... ;)

Yes, it's big, but look at the speaker outs.
diezel-d-moll_02xxl.jpg

I would think you would use the 2 4ohm jacks.

This is the right way to do it. Those jacks on the back of the amp are usually wired in parallel so two pairs of 8 Ohm speakers will result in a 4 Ohm load. It's clearly written on the back too.
And yes, running only one pair of speakers in a 4x12" cab soundwise is a bad idea. The same applies for running the pairs from different two different amps. All 4 speakers should pump air simultaneously.

MerlynMetal":15tsx3oq said:
I would think you would use the 2 4ohm jacks.

This is the right way to do it. Those jacks on the back of the amp are usually wired in parallel so two pairs of 8 Ohm speakers will result in a 4 Ohm load. It's clearly written on the back too.
And yes, running only one pair of speakers in a 4x12" cab soundwise is a bad idea. The same applies for running the pairs from different two different amps. All 4 speakers should pump air simultaneously.

This is right and I was definitely wrong, the picture makes it clear.

Also as stated previously get an ohm meter and make sure that's how the cab is wired before you plug in.

Back