With the 80's rockers being 60's/70's/80's yrs old where is music going ?

Wife and I went to a wedding two weeks ago. Large wedding, expensive country club, When the music started it was all rap, hip hop…ugh. We left pretty quickly there after.
I guess like all other generations, my time has come and gone.
Right, but there's no reason why rap/hip-hop should even be a thing in 2021. That shit was played-out long ago, yet the entertainment industry continues to promote it. If memory serves, rap went mainstream with Yo! MTV Raps in 1988. So, rock music, with its variety of styles gets sidelined to street poetry and a drum machine? 1988... That's 33 years of repetitive expletives and ass-twerking. Consider the prior 33 years, and then think about how music progressed between 1955 to 1988... No contest.

That being said, kudos to Nicki Minaj for not backing-down.

https://thescoop.us/nicki-minaj-to-...-that-yall-are-gonna-be-able-to-do-this-with/

Last edited:
It could be progressing if the powers at be gave young bands with talent some money instead of funding legacy bands to release meh records. Also schools need to move into the 21st century and replace brass instruments with shit more relevant such as bass, gutiar, drums, and keys.

It could be progressing if the powers at be gave young bands with talent some money instead of funding legacy bands to release meh records. Also schools need to move into the 21st century and replace brass instruments with shit more relevant such as bass, gutiar, drums, and keys.
The thing is bass guitar drums etc are not relevant, its all about the smart phone which obviously doesnt make people smart. :unsure:

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 12.40.36 AM copy 3.png

Us old-timers had to learn by ear, as there were no magazines with tabs to tell you where to place your fingers. By doing so, we were forced to develop our ear. Comes-in handy, that's for sure. I still prefer to figure-out songs by ear vs referencing tablature. It's more fun, IMO.
I read stories about how guitarists in the audience would follow a band around on its tour and watch the band's guitarist and pick up on the chords they couldn't find from listening, one gig at a time.

I read stories about how guitarists in the audience would follow a band around on its tour and watch the band's guitarist and pick up on the chords they couldn't find from listening, one gig at a time.
Yup! Coming up thru the 70's things were much different. Remember bringing binoculars to Robin Trower shows so I could see his hand positions for certain tunes. Also, you developed your ear by learning off albums. I remember slowing the old turntable down to try and grab a few licks.

The thing is bass guitar drums etc are not relevant, its all about the smart phone which obviously doesnt make people smart. :unsure:
I disagree. Look at all the pop punk stuff that's come out within the past year or two. Modern music has nowhere else to go but back to hands on instruments.

Sure did, but, it was more common with local talent.

We use to follow this band (Stranger), as the guitarist (Ronnie Garvin) was one of our best local players. He was one of the few guys in '79 who could really nail Eddie Van Halen licks. Phil Moog offered Ronnie a job as lead guitarist in UFO. Ronnie turned him down. The guy who you see standing next to Ronnie's amp at time mark 4:56 was Pat Bloodwell, a former schoolmate of mine. He was another extremely talented guitarist in our area. I mention them in the past tense, as both of them committed suicide. First Ronnie, then Pat. Criss Oliva, Ronnie Garvin and Pat Bloodwell were three of the best around, they all knew each other, and we lost all three. Criss was killed in a car accident.

Last edited:

We use to follow this band (Stranger), as the guitarist (Ronnie Garvin) was one of our best local players. He was one of the few guys in '79 who could really nail Eddie Van Halen licks. Phil Moog offered Ronnie a job as lead guitarist in UFO. Ronnie turned him down. The guy who you see standing next to Ronnie's amp at time mark 4:56 was Pat Bloodwell, a former schoolmate of mine. He was another extremely talented guitarist in our area. I mention them in the past tense, as both of them committed suicide. First Ronnie, then Pat. Criss Oliva, Ronnie Garvin and Pat Bloodwell were three of the best around, they all knew each other, and we lost all three. Criss was killed in a car accident.

Hemi, you from the Tampa Bay area?
I knew a few of those dude's, then the death metal scene in Tampa, all those animals,
Oh yeah they know "Crazy Jay"
The Tarpon crazy house was the capital.
Deth, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Monstrosity
and the dancers of the galactic '2001' strip club.

"Okeechobee Whiskey"
Tom Morello ripped the main riff off that song
for "Killing in the Name".
Check that out!

Also, you developed your ear by learning off albums.

You taped a penny to the top of the stylus so you could control it better for
locating the exact groove on the album that has the riff you're trying to cop.

INSANE to think how easy is must be with today's tech.

Yup! Coming up thru the 70's things were much different. Remember bringing binoculars to Robin Trower shows so I could see his hand positions for certain tunes. Also, you developed your ear by learning off albums. I remember slowing the old turntable down to try and grab a few licks.
Years ago I almost bought that portable tape player that slowed the replay down…so I could ‘attempt’ to pick out EVH leads.
Lol

Hemi, you from the Tampa Bay area?
I knew a few of those dude's, then the death metal scene in Tampa, all those animals,
Oh yeah they know "Crazy Jay"
The Tarpon crazy house was the capital.
Deth, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Monstrosity
and the dancers of the galactic '2001' strip club.

"Okeechobee Whiskey"
Tom Morello ripped the main riff off that song
for "Killing in the Name".
Check that out!
No... I grew-up in Orange County. I did a lot of partying in Tampa though. I wasn't into the death metal scene, but I respected it. Chuck Schuldiner lived a few blocks from me. I was three years older than him, so we didn't attend school together, but we jammed with some of the same players. When Chuck told me what he was going to name his band, I died laughing! I had what I though was a better name, but I didn't mention it. He would have at the very least, kyped for a song title. Good times!

Music doesn't mean what it used to to kids- there's a million other things to keep them entertained. It's not just the over saturation of music that you're competing with, it's everything else. What's left of the music scene is still being bled out by lockdowns and whatnot as well.

Bridge of sighs for you!

Rockin' a Peavey!

Right, but there's no reason why rap/hip-hop should even be a thing in 2021. That shit was played-out long ago, yet the entertainment industry continues to promote it. If memory serves, rap went mainstream with Yo! MTV Raps in 1988. So, rock music, with its variety of styles gets sidelined to street poetry and a drum machine? 1988... That's 33 years of repetitive expletives and ass-twerking. Consider the prior 33 years, and then think about how music progressed between 1955 to 1988... No contest.

That being said, kudos to Nicki Minaj for not backing-down.

https://thescoop.us/nicki-minaj-to-...-that-yall-are-gonna-be-able-to-do-this-with/

W7AOto8.jpeg

242294126_10158584493812833_3167701130350094826_n.jpg

Back