Wizard Modern Classic II contour knob effect

lessarti

So I made a little vid trying to demonstrate what it sounds like when you 'dime' the contour knob on the MC II, which takes the negative feedback upper mid shelving OUT of the circuit and makes it like the MC I "brighter/more raw", very minimal diff in sound but noticeable in person nonetheless. This is my attempt to make it noticeable to the ear at least.

Enjoy!

Cool vid thanks for posting.
I usually always run my contour maxed. But you get different cool options moving it in different spots. As you’ve shown.

Awesome vid comparison. I never played around much with the contour on the MCII I played, but it is a VERY powerful control on the w800 I have. Turned down, it tames the upper mids and top and and also gives the amp some sag. Turned all the way up, it is super immediate, bright and with super aggressive upper mids.

Awesome vid comparison. I never played around much with the contour on the MCII I played, but it is a VERY powerful control on the w800 I have. Turned down, it tames the upper mids and top and and also gives the amp some sag. Turned all the way up, it is super immediate, bright and with super aggressive upper mids.
Till the point it gets very uncompress

Absolutely! That said, the w800 always feels really great to play, no matter where the contour is.

I have Clp45's old MC1 100w head that has the "C" transformers. Now that thing is an absolute raw, open beast of an amp! Lol
@VHTStark i have an MC2 2016 era and its beastly but the highs are just too ear pearcing lol i normally keep the contour back to between 4 and 5....

But the hybrid i got recently is different.... i didnt know till lately trying to do a comparison between the hybrid kt150 vs mtl mk2 kt200.... the tone didnt open up till i crank the contour on the hybrid kt150 and now it turns to a whole new different monster rivaling the MTL kt200 lol

The contour at 8 and beyond on the hybrid just wins vs it on MC2... it didnt turn to super ear pearcing machine and it remains compressed in a good way that ya could do liquidy solos ....

The MC2 i got is an overkill !!! Lol its the only amp i like it with that super flat eq dark smooth JJecc83s .... it just makes my MC2 more ear friendly.... i also didnt find the MC2 with JJ EL34L that great... its good but still too thin for some leads works.... mine came as what it was with a quartet tungsol el34b .... so far it sound good ...

I have no idea has anybody tried 6l6 on their earlier MC2 ?

@VHTStark i have an MC2 2016 era and its beastly but the highs are just too ear pearcing lol i normally keep the contour back to between 4 and 5....

But the hybrid i got recently is different.... i didnt know till lately trying to do a comparison between the hybrid kt150 vs mtl mk2 kt200.... the tone didnt open up till i crank the contour on the hybrid kt150 and now it turns to a whole new different monster rivaling the MTL kt200 lol

The contour at 8 and beyond on the hybrid just wins vs it on MC2... it didnt turn to super ear pearcing machine and it remains compressed in a good way that ya could do liquidy solos ....

The MC2 i got is an overkill !!! Lol its the only amp i like it with that super flat eq dark smooth JJecc83s .... it just makes my MC2 more ear friendly.... i also didnt find the MC2 with JJ EL34L that great... its good but still too thin for some leads works.... mine came as what it was with a quartet tungsol el34b .... so far it sound good ...

I have no idea has anybody tried 6l6 on their earlier MC2 ?
I have no experience with 6L6 Wizards, but will chime in on the differences in tones with contour based from my original vid post.

The Maxed out contour makes it brighter, more punchy and raw, but I found it was not as compressed as with contour at like 6 to 8 area. I actually prefer the contour between 6 and 7 area as it adds enough mid shelf but seems to allow a slightly less bright sound for lead playing. However, with that being said, the presence knob makes a HUGE diff for compression feel if you have it at like 5 or 6 area.

I like the contour all the way up on my wizards . It’s that agressive dimebag tone from vulgar . No need for the Randall fr

Back