Wizard vs Mezzabarba MZero and Bogner Uberschall

sacguy71

So I play mostly classic and thrash metal music. Have a Mezzabarba MZero and Bogner Uberschall which are great amps.
How do Wizard amps respond and sound compared to these amps? Trying to gauge if it would suit my style as I like responsive tight amps that have lots of wall of sound for this genre. What Wizard amp model would be a nice complement to the Bogner and Mezzabarba?

I can comment in on this, I am a thrash metal / hard rock player myself, Wizards are THE best tightest focused tracking amp that sounds HUGE and open, it is insane, two opposite worlds of tightness and openess, which usually open class A sounds are slow sluggish, Wizard makes the hugest open sounds with little compression and somehow gets it to sound tight tracking. It is very immediate in attack, but not hard to play once you get it. VERY Dynamic responsiveness in terms of tightness versus stiff.

ANY Wizard amp will do what you want, honestly not kidding.

Cool now if only Rick would respond to my email questions! Anyways how would you compare Wizard MTL to KSR Juno amp? I am looking at one of these two amps as my next one to complement my MZero and Uberschall.

I can’t say enough good about Wizard MTL2 . It sounds good in all ways with a rich harmonic top end with with full body and low end . It’s ear candy for any metal I think .

Cool now if only Rick would respond to my email questions! Anyways how would you compare Wizard MTL to KSR Juno amp? I am looking at one of these two amps as my next one to complement my MZero and Uberschall.
Good luck getting a response lol

I cannot comment on Mzero, I never have tried or owned one. I can however say, there is a good chance you will sell it once you buy a Wizard LOL

Having owned 4 Wizard heads I can say that it smokes the Juno. That amp just wasn't that thrilling .
Ubershall has more gain in a VERY different style.
Never owned a Mezzabarba but those sound very Marshally based to me.
What Eric Steckel does with the Mezza Trinity just blows me away.

Any Wizard owner will tell you these amps just roar and they throw a THUMP you have to feel in person.
Plus they can handle a lot of different tones and still come out shining.

Having owned 4 Wizard heads I can say that it smokes the Juno. That amp just wasn't that thrilling .
Ubershall has more gain in a VERY different style.
Never owned a Mezzabarba but those sound very Marshally based to me.
What Eric Steckel does with the Mezza Trinity just blows me away.

Any Wizard owner will tell you these amps just roar and they throw a THUMP you have to feel in person.
Plus they can handle a lot of different tones and still come out shining.
Does that 'Thump' tranlate into Cut live at all or more of an in the room 'Wow' facotr?

I find myself so occupied with dialing in what sounds great in front of my BE or Slo but lose sight of the cut factor. For live players thats all that matters.
Having said that I get the percussive aspect and how glorious it can feel!

Also how do you compare the Wizard's with a Slo 100/30 or a BE deluxe 100?
My tone is 80's classic hard rock and what was onsordered metal then!

Does that 'Thump' tranlate into Cut live at all or more of an in the room 'Wow' facotr?

I find myself so occupied with dialing in what sounds great in front of my BE or Slo but lose sight of the cut factor. For live players thats all that matters.
Having said that I get the percussive aspect and how glorious it can feel!

Also how do you compare the Wizard's with a Slo 100/30 or a BE deluxe 100?
My tone is 80's classic hard rock and what was onsordered metal then!
I think the slo and BE are going to be smooth. I wasn't a great fan of the SLO, myself. The wizard is going to cut a lot more because of the upper mids and highs. It is not smooth. My wizard is angry as hell and not polite. If you like the BE and SLO, you may be hesitant to move to a Wizard unlesss you can try one first.

I think the slo and BE are going to be smooth. I wasn't a great fan of the SLO, myself. The wizard is going to cut a lot more because of the upper mids and highs. It is not smooth. My wizard is angry as hell and not polite. If you like the BE and SLO, you may be hesitant to move to a Wizard unlesss you can try one first.
I definitly need to try one in person before dropping 5g on one. The only real 'Raw' amp I've had was the Friedman Small box which does Not have upper mids at all.

I honestly don't think of the slo as 'Smoth' like the BE at all. But not Raw like the small box either

Does this sound smooth?

I've played Wizards for a while and owned several Uberschalls and many other high gain amps. Most amps have so much gain the notes on big chords are blurred together - whereas the Wizards don't necessarily have that amount of gain - they don't lack saturation and certainly excel at clarity. If you play most any amp then plug into an MCII or MTL you'll notice the authority and girth the amp has. The low end isn't on the same level with Uberschall's or Diezel's but they thump plenty. Rick's amps also love boosts if you're into that.

Can we talk about this 'Low end' on amps? In all honesty does it help you cut live in a mix or the ooposite. It seems like we all get sidetracked dialing our rigs to sound massive in the room losing sight of what works live to be HEARD! I know I do:unsure:

Can we talk about this 'Low end' on amps? In all honesty does it help you cut live in a mix or the ooposite. It seems like we all get sidetracked dialing our rigs to sound massive in the room losing sight of what works live to be HEARD! I know I do:unsure:
I was into low end for awhile. Takes place of the bass. Gives you a rounder sound when playing alone. Now, I am constantly trying to dial it out. With a Wizard, The low end is usually not flubby. Even without a boost, you are mostly going to be tight unless you try to dial it that way. I feel like the more I play, the more I chase the highs that almost hurt the ears that I was so against when I started. The punch of the watts and volume takes away the "need" for low end. Especially since dialing it more toward the highs and upper mids makes it more angry and raw

I find you can get away with more low end in a band situation using a Wizard than with many other amps because they are very open and uncompressed. That much low end combined with over saturation can easily cost you your definition and turn the band mix into a mess but the Wizard type of punchy room filling low end doesn't take away it's clarity so those low frequencies sit nicely under the guitar's midrange yet above the bass player.

Rick voiced his amps near perfect for live use, I have never heard of anyone that has had issues playing live with Wizards. In fact, EVERY time anyone I have read/spoken with has used their amp in a band scenario, they are floored with how good it sounds and fits in the mix. Very good mix sitting amps naturally, if you can't hear yourself in the mix with a Wizard then something is wrong.

I'm primarily a bass player. I find that barring some extreme settings, the Wizards do not bury the low mids which is what I push / compress on bass. I haven't attempted to reamp / record with my new MCII but I feel like the way the mids sit on that with lower saturation is going to work even better. The fact that the Wizards do not saturate as quickly also leaves some sonic bandwidth.

That's just my preferences for the music I primarily play.

Rick voiced his amps near perfect for live use, I have never heard of anyone that has had issues playing live with Wizards. In fact, EVERY time anyone I have read/spoken with has used their amp in a band scenario, they are floored with how good it sounds and fits in the mix. Very good mix sitting amps naturally, if you can't hear yourself in the mix with a Wizard then something is wrong.
He was after all the main amp tech for AC/DC for decades so he knows live sound. Also toured with others like the Scorpions I think.
OP, go with a Wizard over the Meza. You will be happier.

I find you can get away with more low end in a band situation using a Wizard than with many other amps because they are very open and uncompressed. That much low end combined with over saturation can easily cost you your definition and turn the band mix into a mess but the Wizard type of punchy room filling low end doesn't take away it's clarity so those low frequencies sit nicely under the guitar's midrange yet above the bass player.
The wizard is a magical to play with loud drums . It’s such a powerful combo , Makes you jam longer. You’re spot on !

Meza is just ripping off Mesa name wise, so for that reason alone, go Wizard! LOL
Mesa Boogie

Mezza barbara
Sheesh, see what I mean guys? Copying the name is just not cool, by the way, I plan to create a new amp based off Wizard amps, it is going to be called Blizzard.

Back