WOT: The Raccoon Saga Continues?

Update - 4/12/09
The day after I shot the raccoon I put a paper plate with some salmon on it in the attic to see if there were any others around. It's the same bait I used, and they loved eating, when I tried unsuccessfully to trap them. Well, days went by and nothing touched the salmon. I finally went into the attic to made a through search of right side and top crawl space...nothing. The left side does not have a door entrance way. There's a 2'X2' panel that I can remove and crawl into the left side. Once in the left side, it's broken up into two spaces by a dormer/window. To get to the far side of the dormer/window I have to crawl on my stomach in a space about 3'X3' for about 6'. While I'm lying on my stomach I'm totally vulnerable to attack. :scared: :no:

Anyway, I went into the left side with a flash light and saw nothing on the entrance side. I swung around and looked into the dormer/window crawl space and... DAMN! BIGGER THAN SHIT! THERE'S A BIG RACCOON LOOKING RIGHT AT ME! :scared: 'Scared the crap out of me. The raccoon turned and ran out of the crawl space and out of site.

I’m weighing out my options and trying to come up with a strategy that will not put me in harms way. Do I go into the left side and just wait in the dark with a flash light…ugh? Do I try some different types of bait and try to lure the raccoons to the right, more accessible side…safer for me. What do you guys think? ‘Anyone have an idea?
:confused:

...more to come. :LOL: :LOL:

I would be figuring out how they got in. That may help with your problem .... If you do not stop that you may have problems again. :confused:

stephen sawall":3jzwt5ie said:
I would be figuring out how they got in. That may help with your problem .... If you do not stop that you may have problems again. :confused:

Oh, I know how they got in. I want to make sure they're all out before I close off the entry point. :gethim:

amiller":2skcrnvv said:
stephen sawall":2skcrnvv said:

Oh, I know how they got in. I want to make sure they're all out before I close off the entry point. :gethim:

Ok....grab your camera....you know, go survivor man style.....then grab the 'coon slayer, and hit your belly. We want documentation!!!!!!!!! You have nothing to fear!!!!!! Well....I guess there's losing an eye, or maybe rabies, but put that out of your mind...... If it goes well, internet fame and glory await! Should it end poorly for you (and we all REALLY hope it doesn't) your family could always sell the footage to "when animals attack" :D

Go get em!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

CRIKEY WE'VE GOT A BIIIIG COON ON OUR HANDS!

hahaha this is the best fucking thread i've ever had the pleasure of following on rig-talk.

and your new avatar is priceless amiller.

wow, i had a backyard full of coons a while back and I shot at some with a similar gun. All it did was tickle 'em and make 'em run up the tree. But I was a good 20-25 feet away.

jcj":1as5twtp said:
amiller":1as5twtp said:
stephen sawall":1as5twtp said:

Ok....grab your camera....you know, go survivor man style.....then grab the 'coon slayer, and hit your belly. We want documentation!!!!!!!!! You have nothing to fear!!!!!! Well....I guess there's losing an eye, or maybe rabies, but put that out of your mind...... If it goes well, internet fame and glory await! Should it end poorly for you (and we all REALLY hope it doesn't) your family could always sell the footage to "when animals attack" :D

Go get em!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I plan on taking some pics of the before. Any "after" pics may be a bit too bloody for internet posting. I don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities. :no:

It is a gruesome deed. :scared: :LOL: :LOL:

iplayloudly":3ig6f69x said:
wow, i had a backyard full of coons a while back and I shot at some with a similar gun. All it did was tickle 'em and make 'em run up the tree. But I was a good 20-25 feet away.

Hmmm...this gun definitely does a lot more than just tickle. I'll keep the distance factor in mind.

amiller":3tswi0tb said:
iplayloudly":3tswi0tb said:

Hmmm...this gun definitely does a lot more than just tickle. I'll keep the distance factor in mind.

I don't think I hit any in the head though :LOL: :LOL:

my cousin had the same problem and live bate traps were effective. they would always tap the animals. that wasn't the problem. He would take them a few miles away and let them go in an empty field. The problem was that they would come back and he would end up trapping them again. Thats when he would take them into the garage and close the garage door. The small 22 rifle was very effective. .

my cousin had the same problem and live bait traps were effective. they would always tap the animals. that wasn't the problem. He would take them a few miles away and let them go in an empty field. The problem was that they would come back and he would end up trapping them again. Thats when he would take them into the garage and close the garage door. The small 22 rifle was very effective. .

boof":1s6dnu1j said:
my cousin had the same problem and live bait traps were effective. they would always tap the animals. that wasn't the problem. He would take them a few miles away and let them go in an empty field. The problem was that they would come back and he would end up trapping them again. Thats when he would take them into the garage and close the garage door. The small 22 rifle was very effective. .

Yeah, I don't know, I tried the bait route and it didn't work for me. They loved the bait but nerver got caught in the traps. The traps were designed especially for raccoons, ground hogs and similiar sized critters. In fact, there's a picture of a raccoon on the box the traps came in. I guess I got a couple of smart bastids. :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Did you check the gender? 'Cause if it's an adult "he" there is a certain part of the anatomy that is highly desired by some folks to use as a toothpick.....
just sayin'

Copperhead":xnr1ugv9 said:
Did you check the gender? 'Cause if it's an adult "he" there is a certain part of the anatomy that is highly desired by some folks to use as a toothpick.....
just sayin'

eek! :no: :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• coondicktoothpick.jpg
    coondicktoothpick.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 13,888
OK, I've got a paper plate of assorted baits, flashlight in hand, Blackberry camera/phone, ammo and my trusted raccoon slayer...I'm heading in...

SHOW TIME! :gethim: :LOL: :LOL:

amiller":nm7pm0g5 said:
OK, I've got a paper plate of assorted baits, flashlight in hand, Blackberry camera/phone, ammo and my trusted raccoon slayer...I'm heading in...

:checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout:

:D :yes: :rock:

amiller":3nqbk4m8 said:

NICE :LOL: :LOL:

I love this thread :LOL: :LOL:

Back