Would this be too weird?

Flat strat?

• Stupidest f'ing thing I've ever heard!

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Too weird.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just right!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Not weird enough.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Most brilliant idea since fire!

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Pretty much a dinky or Ibby RG without the forearm cut or anti rib spreader contour.

The lack of forearm contour is the issue with me.

Charvel did it 30 years ago with their maple topped guitars.

Flametopprepro.jpg

I was just musing on the idea that my EBMM EVH is perfectly comfortable to me whereas a tele is not. They are both totally flat front and back. The neck heel and the bridge are the difference, I guess.

ratter":5e94uok0 said:
Vrad":5e94uok0 said:
I think it will look cool.. Like a Soloist... :D

Right, sort of like a carve top soloist must look like to a bird. :LOL: :LOL: But not as pointy.

LOL :D
Yeah. I think it will look good. Are you thinking a super strat? Or a traditional strat?

rupe":2s1ldqkp said:

Can you find any pics online? I'm trying to visualize without going to the trouble of actually cutting one...

I dig how a tele and EBMM axis/Wolfgang have no contour...the edge gives my forearm something to rest on.
The body feels more like a solid piece of wood...probably sounds better to when not removing all that wood for contours.

If you are building from scratch, I would go with the exact tele body shape and just shape the horns in a strat style.

Vrad":1mxjw8aq said:
ratter":1mxjw8aq said:
Vrad":1mxjw8aq said:

Right, sort of like a carve top soloist must look like to a bird. :LOL: :LOL: But not as pointy.

Yeah. I think it will look good. Are you thinking a super strat? Or a traditional strat?

Either or. Ideally something that would be equally suited to rear-loaded super strat style or top loaded vintage strat style. Or even laid out with tele pickups...just probably not an actual tele bridge.

ratter":80igyzla said:
Vrad":80igyzla said:
ratter":80igyzla said:
Vrad":80igyzla said:

Either or. Ideally something that would be equally suited to rear-loaded super strat style or top loaded vintage strat style. Or even laid out with tele pickups...just probably not an actual tele bridge.

The rear-loaded super strat style would probably be the most natural fit for that design. All my opinion of course. The Soloist or Model 6 Charvel comes to mind.. :D

ratter":3m295988 said:
rupe":3m295988 said:

Can you find any pics online? I'm trying to visualize without going to the trouble of actually cutting one...
Added to my post

Yeah I dig that too.

Next question becomes what to do about the edge. Binding, like that Charvel/EVH/Wolf. Or a small roundover like a Tele, or a big round roundover like a Strat?

ratter":x22auw2u said:
Yeah I dig that too.

Next question becomes what to do about the edge. Binding, like that Charvel/EVH/Wolf. Or a small roundover like a Tele, or a big round roundover like a Strat?

Binding and nice top....

Randy Van Sykes":3fwze142 said:
If you are building from scratch, I would go with the exact tele body shape and just shape the horns in a strat style.
Actually Mike, if you did this (with maybe a maple top on a light basswood body, routed for two double coils spaced like an axis) I may buy one from you. :LOL: :LOL:

Randy Van Sykes":t61c6c0t said:
Randy Van Sykes":t61c6c0t said:
Actually Mike, if you did this (with maybe a maple top on a light basswood body, routed for two double coils spaced like an axis) I may buy one from you. :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: You need a Jump To Conclusions mat!

goodthingscanhappen.jpg

ratter":2jbiry93 said:
Randy Van Sykes":2jbiry93 said:
Randy Van Sykes":2jbiry93 said:

:LOL: :LOL: You need a Jump To Conclusions mat!

goodthingscanhappen.jpg
stapler! stapler! :LOL: :LOL:

Randy Van Sykes":338atbl0 said:

You mean like this? The symmetrical horns are too weird, I think...reminds me of that guitar Shawn Lane used to play that I always hated...

374632.jpg

Back