WTB: Naylor Dual 100, 60 Super or Friedman Naked Head

I'd go SD60 or 100 with half power switch if I get another.
I like the bite switch on the gain channel, hardly use the clean channel.
Dave King builds em right.
At the prices they're going for used, may as well go new.

Last edited:
I'd go SD60 or 100 with half power switch if I get another.
I like the bite switch on the gain channel, hardly use the clean channel.
Dave King builds em right.
At the prices they're going for used, may as well go new.
Thanks!
I saw some of your YouTube videos playing different Naylors, is there a sound difference between the SD and the Dual on the gain channel?

Thanks!
I saw some of your YouTube videos playing different Naylors, is there a sound difference between the SD and the Dual on the gain channel?
I had them at different times, so hard to say, but I think they're pretty much the same.
Honestly, unless you absolutely have to have a clean clean channel to switch to on the fly, I'd go SD.
The Naylor SD cleans up great, has great cleans on the lower input, sounds great with the gain turned low to hi. Plenty of ways to work it to get good clean and drive sounds.

I had them at different times, so hard to say, but I think they're pretty much the same.
Honestly, unless you absolutely have to have a clean clean channel to switch to on the fly, I'd go SD.
The Naylor SD cleans up great, has great cleans on the lower input, sounds great with the gain turned low to hi. Plenty of ways to work it to get good clean and drive sounds.
Thanks!! I appreciate you asking my all my questions. I would probably like to have a clean channel just in case I needed it while playing somewhere.
Thanks Again!!

Thanks!! I appreciate you asking my all my questions. I would probably like to have a clean channel just in case I needed it while playing somewhere.
Thanks Again!!
Like most amp designs, the more complicated they are the more the tone suffers, even if just a little. I had an SD60 and I'd hate to order a Dual and be disappointed by the gain channel IF that premise still holds true. I'll be ordering another SD60. I will say that it might have also been the best amp I've ever played in just reducing the guitar volume to create a decent clean sound...not many can do that as convincingly.

Like most amp designs, the more complicated they are the more the tone suffers, even if just a little. I had an SD60 and I'd hate to order a Dual and be disappointed by the gain channel IF that premise still holds true. I'll be ordering another SD60. I will say that it might have also been the best amp I've ever played in just reducing the guitar volume to create a decent clean sound...not many can do that as convincingly.
Why not go with the SD100? Very versatile amp for sure. One of my top 3 or 4 favorites of what I have. Would be curious how the 100 would compare to my 60

Right? It cleans up in such a vintage cool way, somewhere between Marshall and Fender, while still being somewhat modern. Just a really well-voiced, super all-arounder amp.
Why not go with the SD100? Very versatile amp for sure. One of my top 3 or 4 favorites of what I have. Would be curious how the 100 would compare to my 60
The SD60 does that Naylor thick rocking thing. The SD100 does it louder, and with the half power switch, it also has a different voicing that makes it a bit tighter and less middy/thick. Neither one has the raw bite of a 2203 or Wizard, but not as refined as a Friedman BE, Mesa, Bogner, etc...
Naylor sits right in the middle of the pack on warm/bright, loose/tight, vintage/modern...
I feel like every gearhead guitarist should at least have one once in his life.

So, I KNOW I love the SD60. I usually do gravitate to the bigger 'girth' of the higher power amps, but in this case I don't want to be disappointed if for some reason it's just a little too different. If it ain't broke, etc.
My fear would be that it's similar to the VHT D60 vs 120....I loved the 60 and the 120 was just ok. Pretty different for whatever reason.

So, I KNOW I love the SD60. I usually do gravitate to the bigger 'girth' of the higher power amps, but in this case I don't want to be disappointed if for some reason it's just a little too different. If it ain't broke, etc.
My fear would be that it's similar to the VHT D60 vs 120....I loved the 60 and the 120 was just ok. Pretty different for whatever reason.
No such difference. Basically just more balls.

Fair enough. Sometimes the lower wattage versions have better tone here and there for whatever reason. I’m very curious how the 100 would compare. It does have I think a 60 watt mode, but of course may still be different sounding. Curious also if the Michigan and Texas made ones actually sound different or not?

Right? It cleans up in such a vintage cool way, somewhere between Marshall and Fender, while still being somewhat modern. Just a really well-voiced, super all-arounder amp.

The SD60 does that Naylor thick rocking thing. The SD100 does it louder, and with the half power switch, it also has a different voicing that makes it a bit tighter and less middy/thick. Neither one has the raw bite of a 2203 or Wizard, but not as refined as a Friedman BE, Mesa, Bogner, etc...
Naylor sits right in the middle of the pack on warm/bright, loose/tight, vintage/modern...
I feel like every gearhead guitarist should at least have one once in his life.
That’s true I own also a Wizard MTL and ‘79 JMP2203 and they are brighter than the Naylor, but my Naylor is still very cutting and imo nowhere near as dark as most descriptions on forums led me to think before trying one and not at all polished, neutered or overly smooth the way Friedman’s and Bogner’s are. Much more ballsy and organic sounding than those amps and just a lot more toneful for lack of a better word

Fair enough. Sometimes the lower wattage versions have better tone here and there for whatever reason. I’m very curious how the 100 would compare. It does have I think a 60 watt mode, but of course may still be different sounding. Curious also if the Michigan and Texas made ones actually sound different or not?
I've been to Dave's shop and he builds them the same way as they were built before. I think the earliest Michigan amps didn't have the dual-ganged gain pot.
I'm confident that the Dallas/Dave King built ones are just as good, and better than most amps being built today.

I've read where they sound identical. But, I haven't had both, just the one you now have.

I’m loving this Duel 100, it’s an amazing amp. It’s so thick, aggressive and open. It hits like a sledgehammer and sounds HUGE. It’s every bit as snotty, pissed, and good as my SG IIC++, but it’s less compressed and actually has a touch more clarity. It’s on the dark side, but not nearly as dark as I’ve read. I prefer it on the half power setting. It’s tighter and still has balls to spare. The full power setting is a little looser and thicker, and sounds even bigger yet.
The amp loves my Analogman Man Brown Mod OD-9. I sometimes clean boost it with gain off, level at noon, and it greases and tightens it just enough, without thinning it out at all. This is a very unusual amp, that definitely has it’s own thing going on. It’s thick like a Plexi, but much tighter. It’s dark and chewy like a Bogner, but not smooth like one. It’s fluid like an SLO, and vicious like a Recto. And it’s more open than all of those amps. Truly amazing how they accomplished this combo of attributes. It’s without question one of the best amps available.

Back