Yes!!! An EVH 5150 EL34 50 watt

The lady answering the customer service line at AMS today told me that their Marketing people do things like what I described,showing the item early then pulling it,so still no info from them.

I had the 50 watt and thought it was ok at best.
Very sterile imo. Cut well though.
I'm very interested in this as I'm an EL34 guy.

The tone is a combination of many variables, one being the power section. The EL34 gives it that nice sharpness.

suhrimmetal":1api0cbs said:
Still, Im damn intrigued and it is my Bday 10/24... might make a good gift for myself :yes:
You could wrap it with your eyes shut to add some drama.
Bake yourself a cake, invite yourself over for dinner.
It might lead to some sexy times later in the evening.

Philo Beddoe":2dfp0vve said:
Don't these get their tone from the preamp section? I guess I'm not seeing the point of el34's :confused:
?
I've had high gain amps that can switch tube types, and there's always a pretty noticeable difference between 6L6 and EL34 tones. More upper mid snarl in EL34s, more low end thump in 6L6s. These differences get more pronounced at volume.

ElectricVoodoo":dpq74dbe said:

The tone is a combination of many variables, one being the power section. The EL34 gives it that nice sharpness.
Uhm, weren't you the one constantly praising the 50W (6L6 version) as being the best amp evah?! :confused:

Speeddemon":1lr8syzf said:
ElectricVoodoo":1lr8syzf said:

Uhm, weren't you the one constantly praising the 50W (6L6 version) as being the best amp evah?! :confused:

I think they're a great value for the money, but I also found mine to be a little sterile sounding. Every once in a while I play through one at the local GC and always like it. But it doesn't have the personality of my EL34 Marshalls. If I had to use one in a backline for a gig, I'd be happy with it; just don't need one for my regular thing. If space in my house were unlimited, I'd grab another 100w in ivory tolex.

ElectricVoodoo":1bmut4mo said:
Not to derail, but has anyone tried the 6534.Sounds good un demos.

the 6534 is my main gig amp right now. I love it. it has a choke added, and JJ pre/power tubes. it flat out rips and has a killer clean channel compared to the 6l6 version.

ElectricVoodoo":70tzwa4z said:

I agree. It had an ass load of gain but not much character. I like the 3 channels with midi switching, and with the channels better balanced, knock down the gain about 40% and EL34's it might be a winner.

I really like the original, but to me it's a 'metal' amp, very high gain and I find it very much 'homogenises' the guitar signal, so the variation between guitars is much, much less than it is through my Marshall. But I love it for what it does.

'Dual Concentric pots' would be main takeaway for me. Specially since blue and green "channels" are the best sounding ones in the amp

ElectricVoodoo":zm6iqazs said:

Yes, it's awesome. I have a USA version and Chinese version I like them so much. LOL

great news! I unloaded my 5150 50 watt before last namm because I had been told this was coming down the pipeline.
I couldn't take the volume jump and it was way to harsh for me. Gain for days though.

BTW Heads up there is a seller on Reverb (capitol guitars?) with a EL34 evh 2x12 cabinet not sure if it has different speakers but it's definitely something new :rock:

johnpace2":dolb4bb0 said:
ElectricVoodoo":dolb4bb0 said:

Yes, it's awesome. I have a USA version and Chinese version I like them so much. LOL

In your opinion, is there a noticeable difference between the two? I'm really wanting one and if I go brand new I'll have to buy the chinese version.

I would imagine that the tone would be the same.

Want! I love my 5150 III 50 watt, but always wished it had a dedicated clean. I know I can get it modded but its kind of a pain. I may have to get one of these some day.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this once they hit market! The only thing holding me back is the cabinet…. I have an Orange PPC 412 and it has V30's. I heard that the 5153's don't really sound that great through them. Can anyone chime in on this? I have the money for the head but I don't want to spend another 600 bucks for a 2x12 cabinet.

Back