Yes!!! An EVH 5150 EL34 50 watt

Not gonna argue with Howard, the guy is super cool and replies to any questions I have whenever I’ve contacted him. I just don’t feel any similarities in blue channels between the combo and the stealth, but like I said, cab and power differences could be the feel difference.

Just played mine again (set it up last night). I think it sounds pretty good, have to remember it's a $1k amp. Dialed the clean in like the manual suggest (volume maxed) and it made a big difference. The blue reminds me of the other version gain wise, I think I like the el34s influence here-great mid to high gain tones. The red seems wild and wooly, like it takes Ed's hands to tame (I'm WAY off there). I'll spend more time dialing in, resonance close to straight up seems to work- using a 2x12 V30 Splawn, also used an avatar budget contemporary with greenbacks that is just breaking in.

Not long after buying my stealth when they came out I had an issue with the footswitch. It was a really goofy issue so Howard had me do some troubleshooting with it. In our conversations I asked him how the stealth came to be. He told me Ed liked the 2x12 blue channel and asked them to put it in a 100 head, so that's how the stealth was born. Howard is very forthright with questions on changes and revisions.

crwnedblasphemy":6d68cnlm said:
Not gonna argue with Howard, the guy is super cool and replies to any questions I have whenever I’ve contacted him. I just don’t feel any similarities in blue channels between the combo and the stealth, but like I said, cab and power differences could be the feel difference.

MetalThrasher":23wpamus said:
I'm so close to getting one with the matching 2x12! How does the blue channel do thrash metal boosted!

I got the 100s el34, the blue channel pushes easily into the red channels territory with an overdrive. Ive ran a fortin grind and an mxr modified badass pedals. No issues making the blue channel's profile aggressive enough for any kind of metal.

Rayneman":1nv0958a said:
My amp arrived not too long ago, and I've spent a few minutes checking it out...advantage of working from home. I had the 6L6 version that I really liked, which is now in the possession of the thread starter :D .

I need a lot more time with it but my initial impressions are as follows:

- Green Clean is clean and is now independent of the Blue from a gain/volume perspective hooray! It can get loud and stay clean. Happy to have this now, if I end up using this amp to gig, it will be great to have.

- Blue Channel seems to me to be very different from the 6L6 50 watter. I'd really need to A/B them, but I recall the 6L6 Blue to have more gain and be tighter that this one. This one is more of what I'd call a real rhythm channel, but there is still quite a bit of gain. Its a vastly different tone from the Red channel on this amp, whereas I didn't think that to be the case with the 6L6 amp. This could be a very good thing from a versatility point of view, but I am not sure there are any "metal" tones anywhere in the Blue channel. Its possible I am mis-remembering my other EVH. I do recall being able to use the 6L6 Blue channel for most any type of music I'd ever play, and not feel like it needed more gain or to be tighter.

- Red is great, I think its a bit crunchier that the 6L6 and sounds brighter to me, but in a good way. I know people have complained about the high end from demos, and I am using the EVH 2x12 here, but I don't notice any unpleasant high end at all, but of course I am not cranking presence or highs. Everything is at noon on the red channel. Easy to play, sounds good, feels good. I have not ventured above noon on the gain.

So yeah, I am happy to have the EVH "back" and in this form looking forward to more time with it and hearing what other people have to say.

This concerns me as I was about to order the 6l6 version but ordered this instead thinking it was more of the same except with the independent gain/volume for Chan 1 & 2. I liked the 6l6 version because you didn't need a boost which helps when switching to clean as I hate tap dancing. Not real keen on the tones I've heard this far from YT (too bright and loose) but YT vids are hard to judge. I think I'd rather the tone that I want than having the independent gain/volume.

So confused now.

lebowski77":2aoyy7z0 said:
Rayneman":2aoyy7z0 said:
My amp arrived not too long ago, and I've spent a few minutes checking it out...advantage of working from home. I had the 6L6 version that I really liked, which is now in the possession of the thread starter :D .

- Green Clean is clean and is now independent of the Blue from a gain/volume perspective hooray! It can get loud and stay clean. Happy to have this now, if I end up using this amp to gig, it will be great to have.

- Blue Channel seems to me to be very different from the 6L6 50 watter. I'd really need to A/B them, but I recall the 6L6 Blue to have more gain and be tighter that this one. This one is more of what I'd call a real rhythm channel, but there is still quite a bit of gain. Its a vastly different tone from the Red channel on this amp, whereas I didn't think that to be the case with the 6L6 amp. This could be a very good thing from a versatility point of view, but I am not sure there are any "metal" tones anywhere in the Blue channel. Its possible I am mis-remembering my other EVH. I do recall being able to use the 6L6 Blue channel for most any type of music I'd ever play, and not feel like it needed more gain or to be tighter.

- Red is great, I think its a bit crunchier that the 6L6 and sounds brighter to me, but in a good way. I know people have complained about the high end from demos, and I am using the EVH 2x12 here, but I don't notice any unpleasant high end at all, but of course I am not cranking presence or highs. Everything is at noon on the red channel. Easy to play, sounds good, feels good. I have not ventured above noon on the gain.

So yeah, I am happy to have the EVH "back" and in this form looking forward to more time with it and hearing what other people have to say.

This concerns me as I was about to order the 6l6 version but ordered this instead thinking it was more of the same except with the independent gain/volume for Chan 1 & 2. I liked the 6l6 version because you didn't need a boost which helps when switching to clean as I hate tap dancing. Not real keen on the tones I've heard this far from YT (too bright and loose) but YT vids are hard to judge. I think I'd rather the tone that I want than having the independent gain/volume.

So confused now.

I can't imagine EL34's would be looser. I always found them tighter, just less round. I could be wrong on this, as I've yet to play one. I am intrigued, however. But, I'm not a big, big fan of the EVH in general. I've owned the 50 watt three times, trying to love it, but I always found stiff and sterile.

I wonder why they haven't added the changes to the 6L6 50w too? Concentric vol/gain? Looks like the same setup as before.

napalmdeath":3id20s36 said:
lebowski77":3id20s36 said:
Rayneman":3id20s36 said:

So confused now.

I can't imagine EL34's would be looser. I always found them tighter, just less round. I could be wrong on this, as I've yet to play one. I am intrigued, however. But, I'm not a big, big fan of the EVH in general. I've owned the 50 watt three times, trying to love it, but I always found stiff and sterile.

The blue channel is voiced differently on this version. Definitely a more vintage high gain vibe. Three distinct, different tones in this amp.

Philo Beddoe":2p37g1bs said:
Don't these get their tone from the preamp section? I guess I'm not seeing the point of el34's :confused:
Yes but the preamp section sounds VERY different from the 6L6 model. Very vintage marshall on the blue channel. Less wild gain

neilli777":xnp5b4ha said:
I really like the original, but to me it's a 'metal' amp, very high gain and I find it very much 'homogenises' the guitar signal, so the variation between guitars is much, much less than it is through my Marshall. But I love it for what it does.
Agree on the metal amp for the 6L6 version. The EL34 version is way different all around except for looks. Much more useful to me and can nail old Marshall tones. Lots less wirey drive on blue & completely revoiced.

232cap":1ha4qho8 said:
Update with a little more tinkering around with the amp it is pretty easy to see now that EVH basically dialed down and tried to revoice the blue channel to replicate a old marshall plexi as it has that same loose feel and is brighter. It really responds well to a boost just like an old marshall. I guess there were actually trying to cope a old marshall tone out of this head, not just fender marketing. So if your expecting that modern grind and tightness of the other EVH amps you probably wont dig it but if you play around with boost it can do it all. The red channel is pretty good straight in as is the clean. The clean really sounds good.

Exactly as I see it. Channel 2 may seem "flubby" but how many people that say that actually like a cranked plexi? They are not the mystical tone some people imagine. They can be flubby and fizzy. That's part of what makes them "fat". Make it real tight and 2D and you have a pedal into solid state feel. Channel 2 is WAY different than the 6L6 version. More "genuine vintage" Marshall than many other amp I've played besides my actual vintage NMV Marshalls that have that looser bottom, It's taken me years to figure out that's part of what tone come from and tone is pretty void from a lot of high gain tight sounds used for detuned puke metal. Personally what I like is you can nail VH2,Ratt and Dokken ULAK tones with the Blue. I've been looking for an amp that can do that... Really do that. The red Channel is much better for leads IMO not as "wirey". The 6l6 amp and My Strat HATED each other (nothing sounded good)but it sounds good with this more vintage voiced amp. The EL34 amp is just more versatile and usable if you played in a band that did not do detuned metal. The 6L6 amp had metal 1, metal 2 and compromised cleans when you had the blue set the way you want it. Now you have a VERY clean ch1,(could still be better-a bit sterile)A dynamic hot rod vintage voiced Marshall not overly saturated real rhythm channel,and a super gain better tone, excellent sounding lead channel.

EDIT: After listening to some always raved about BE-100 clips, I would say the Blue channel can be dialed very similar -almost identical but more authentic and slightly less modern Marshall tone. (a little looser not as pedal sounding).

lebowski77":2k6xlply said:
Does the blue channel need a boost? What do palm mutes sound like?
For VH2 Ratt,Dokken rhythm gain levels,no drive pedal needed. You will have the gain on perhaps 3:00 though. (Same as with a BE-100)That being said the channels respond well with pedals. But why add solid state ? Step on CH3 for all gain ever needed and negate the need for wrecking your tube sound with transistor pedal sound. Bottom is a little loose and fat similar to a Freidman BE-100 to my ears. Palm mutes excellent but not super tight. The slightly loose is what makes it toneful,grindy,open and fat. Records awesome without fiddling.Anything but metal would be fine. Get the 6L6 one if you want that. Want more souped up vintage tone? Get the EL34.

I'm really interested in a el 34 100 watt vs 50 blue channel. I have the 100 and I would call it loose or vintage by any means. The gain at 3 o'clock on the 100 blue is pretty high gain and compressed. I wonder if the 50 is a totally different channel than the blue 100

Put my 1960 les paul with P-90's through it on blue tonight gain 11:00 and I couldn't put it down for 4-1/2 hours. I really can't get single coils to sound anything but horrible through either 5150 III but surprisingly P-90s sound incredible. I was almost afraid to try after hearing my strat. I may just be using too much gain combo with FS-1 Pickup which I am not too fond of. I get that sound like running 2 gain pedals together into a Peavey XXX. Skwinchy and yuk.

I've had the 6L6 50 watt head and 2x12 cab for well over a year now, ended up getting the EL34 50 watt version + 2x12 cab today. The Blue channel is definitely much different than the 6L6 version; a bit looser, darker, but really shines with a clean boost for 80s soloing. Overall, it's a looser amp than the 6L6 model, and I think the Green is much improved tonally, it's got a more warm and 'round' feel to it. (Not to mention the separate gain and volume controls for Green and Blue.) The Red channel is still very aggressive and not overly loose, but it's certainly not as tight/modern as the 6L6 Red channel. I'll be keeping both, I think they fit different enough roles.

beRH4dx.jpg

Rayneman":1sz2e2c6 said:
napalmdeath":1sz2e2c6 said:
lebowski77":1sz2e2c6 said:
Rayneman":1sz2e2c6 said:

So confused now.

The blue channel is voiced differently on this version. Definitely a more vintage high gain vibe. Three distinct, different tones in this amp.

Definitely more in my wheelhouse. Thats what the 6L6 version lacked. Red channel was brutal, (in a very good way), but, overly compressed and messy past 9:00 o'clock on the gain.

I just sent one back and my thoughts are that they warmed the blue channel up but gave up the tight feel of a good modded marshall or even the feel of the 6l6 5150 III. They were are on to something good with it but just didnt finish it all the way. A slight boost out front does get the tight feel back though, but I didnt want to have a boost on all the time to make it sould like I was hoping it would out of the box.

Back