you guys ever educate young players on what LOUD is?

BackCrack

A buddy brought his teenage son over last night. Kid's been playing about 5 years. He uses a beat up Classic 30 that his dad got him a few years back. He'd been asking his dad lately about playing really loud and wanted to know what it was like. So, I set-up in my garage an ADA MP-1, a Peavey Classic 120/120, and a couple 4x12's. With him playing, I started with the volume well below his cranked C30. He said, "Hey, just turn it all the way up." Buddy and I just laughed. Ok, wish granted. The look of pain on his face 3 seconds later was so gatdam funny.

BackCrack":2uu5b95v said:
A buddy brought his teenage son over last night. Kid's been playing about 5 years. He uses a beat up Classic 30 that his dad got him a few years back. He'd been asking his dad lately about playing really loud and wanted to know what it was like. So, I set-up in my garage an ADA MP-1, a Peavey Classic 120/120, and a couple 4x12's. With him playing, I started with the volume well below his cranked C30. He said, "Hey, just turn it all the way up." Buddy and I just laughed. Ok, wish granted. The look of pain on his face 3 seconds later was so gatdam funny.
Ha! Yeah these young kids grew up on small amps and modelers! They don't know the glory of a full stack blowing their faces off!

All this talk of mini-heads, modelers, 2x12s, and FRFR speaker, you realize that some guitarists straight-up have never cranked a Marshall into a full-stack. The feeling of a cranked full-stack is unlike anything else. You have to at least experience it once.

I miss my fullstack days. I have a couple setups now where I can get enough pressure going to feel the air rushing past, but nothing like the old 100 watt tuber pushing through two four my twelves. The amount of time I spent standing a foot away just blasting the rhythms to feel my chest caved in repeatedly should have seen me deaf, but somehow didn't.

BackCrack":15ppsmwz said:
I had the same thing happen, my friends son had been playing about 2 years, and he was actually pretty proficient to have only played that long. They came by to get a pickup I told him to try out and see if he liked it, he did not say anything to his son about the sheer number of Marshalls and 412's I had in the studio, his son about pissed himself when they came in. So we hooked up the Langner Marshall to 2 412's and the Friedman modded Plexi to 2 412's and had them CRANKED (2 full stacks) and the look on his face was priceless :D
It was so loud I swear it was stirring up dust in the room :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That kid will remember that few minutes until the day he dies. My buddy said he thinks it loosened the fillings in his teeth :rock: :rock: :rock:
Good times..

JTyson":3riumxzd said:
BackCrack":3riumxzd said:
I had the same thing happen, my friends son had been playing about 2 years, and he was actually pretty proficient to have only played that long. They came by to get a pickup I told him to try out and see if he liked it, he did not say anything to his son about the sheer number of Marshalls and 412's I had in the studio, his son about pissed himself when they came in. So we hooked up the Langner Marshall to 2 412's and the Friedman modded Plexi to 2 412's and had them CRANKED (2 full stacks) and the look on his face was priceless :D
It was so loud I swear it was stirring up dust in the room :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That kid will remember that few minutes until the day he dies. My buddy said he thinks it loosened the fillings in his teeth :rock: :rock: :rock:
Good times..
Well, of course he will. He'll have the constant ringing in his ears as a neverending reminder. :D

It’s sad that way too many people don’t understand how to use a loud amp. They have these little lunchbox amps (which are cool), but until you experience and know how to play a cranked 100 watt amp, you’re not really a guitar player. lol

I remember playing with a band... and we played loud. I stood in an area where the bass cab was somewhat near me. When the bassist hit a certain note, my vision went blurry. Clearly the frequencies were vibrating my skull causing blurred vision. It’s something I’ll never forget.

Reminds me of an old 100w non master volume JMP that a buddy nicknamed “the violator”. When you dig into so heavy chords, the lights in the room would dim.

Well, playing really loud was a "glory" for me as a teenager. The novelty of it soon wore off. Nowadays, I do everything I can to keep my volume down. Thank god for modellers, floor monitors and IEM. Playing loud it the past was a necessity, not a privilege.

Power tube compression is where all that magic that players refer to as the ‘feel’ of the amp begin to happen. I was very fortunate to have lived in a long lost era when I spend a few years playing 3-4 nighters every week. Some of the larger venues allowed for pretty solid stage volume from the backline. That’s when I learned how much better most amps sound with quite a bit less gain and quite a bit more volume.

Remember standing right in front of you stack facing the speakers,reveling in the glory of bashing out metal in the 80s? The push-pull of the sound vibrations as the waves washed over you and the guitar? I'm still not sure that wasn't a decades long drug/alcohol induced hallucination.

Paying the price now with both tinnitus and twitchy nervous system. But I try to blame it on my ex-wifes bitching instead of the glorious tones and debauchery.

I went over to my friend's house a few years ago and he had this "Twister" brand tube combo, which are handmade locally. He kept talking about how loud the thing got. I think it was 40 watts but not sure. I turned the volume down and he said "ok, I'm going to crank it. Move off to the side". I turned up the volume and hit a chord, and I could feel it in my bones. We both cringed and had distorted faces. Every time I hit a chord, it was like a fighter pilot hitting an afterburner switch with my head inside the engine.

A few years ago my Rush tribute got a last minute gig at an outdoor festival. The pay was peanuts, but we had already planned a band practice that day, sound was provided and the venue was nearby, so we did it. I got to crank my SLO to about 7 and it was just glorious, a whole different amp.

When I was just starting out, I was obviously too young to go see bands in bars. I had a Marshall Lead 20, but never really cranked it. I had recently met Greg Howe and he invited me to his band practice. He had to ask my mom. LOL. But those guys played NMV Marshalls at full tilt. It was other worldly for a 14 yr. old.

These days Mrs. Lee works from home and rarely leaves the house. So I don't get to play like I used to. When I'm home alone, it's Marshalls at full tilt through a 4x12 and cheap foam earplugs. My neighbors are totally cool with it too.

Yup. :LOL: :LOL:

Just brang home a Mesa mark 4
Hooked it up. Neighbors daughter had her boyfriend over.
‘My dad plays in a band. ‘

Emo punk. My drummer was over. I said ‘oh ya? Cool!’

We went into Pantera New level gig loud. Into a full stack.
Thought this kid was going to piss himself. :D
It was knocking my nut sack around so much air being pushed.
That was a moment I can’t forget.

rottingcorpse":346xpk1d said:
Remember standing right in front of you stack facing the speakers,reveling in the glory of bashing out metal in the 80s? The push-pull of the sound vibrations as the waves washed over you and the guitar? I'm still not sure that wasn't a decades long drug/alcohol induced hallucination.

Paying the price now with both tinnitus and twitchy nervous system. But I try to blame it on my ex-wifes bitching instead of the glorious tones and debauchery.

There is so much gold in this reply, I don't even know where to begin. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I was laughing while reading this and kept getting better and better. :D

Mailman1971":39jk8fa4 said:
Yup. :LOL: :LOL:

Just brang home a Mesa mark 4
Hooked it up. Neighbors daughter had her boyfriend over.
‘My dad plays in a band. ‘

Emo punk. My drummer was over. I said ‘oh ya? Cool!’

We went into Pantera New level gig loud. Into a full stack.
Thought this kid was going to piss himself. :D
It was knocking my nut sack around so much air being pushed.
That was a moment I can’t forget.

Yessssss!!!! I love the look of horror/satisfaction when these kids get to hear that.

You gotta love it when all you have to do is finger a chord and get that glorious feedback. I love old recordings where you hear the amp right before the player starts or in some breaks as they didn’t gate and just controlled it with placement and hands. Maybe the volume on the guitar. One of the albums I love for this is Let There Be Rock. One of the most unmistakeable sounds of a Marshall at volume you’ll ever hear. For sheer control, live Hendrix is still amazing to this day, how he worked that volume from sweet lullaby to being tea-bagged by Satan’s ballsack.

Back