you guys ever educate young players on what LOUD is?

skoora":27e54ls8 said:
One of the most unmistakeable sounds of a Marshall at volume you’ll ever hear. For sheer control, live Hendrix is still amazing to this day, how he worked that volume from sweet lullaby to being tea-bagged by Satan’s ballsack.

LOL!

I was watching the Monterrey Pop Festival with my girlfriend the other day and she had never seen Jimi's performance. He was playing, setting his guitar on fire, humping the Marshall stack, etc. and then I said "wait for it", and the camera zoomed in to the onlookers watching in horror and confusion. They truly looked horrified. LOL

In almost seventeen years of playing I have never played into a cranked tube amp, ever. One of those things I've gotta work on.

skoora":39u4utgg said:
You gotta love it when all you have to do is finger a chord and get that glorious feedback. I love old recordings where you hear the amp right before the player starts or in some breaks as they didn’t gate and just controlled it with placement and hands. Maybe the volume on the guitar. One of the albums I love for this is Let There Be Rock. One of the most unmistakeable sounds of a Marshall at volume you’ll ever hear. For sheer control, live Hendrix is still amazing to this day, how he worked that volume from sweet lullaby to being tea-bagged by Satan’s ballsack.

Every Sabbath bootleg from the 70s is full of that. Ozzy introduces the song, Tony rolls up his volume and there's an immediate howl of feedback that gets hammered right into the greatest riffs of all time.

guidedbyechoes":hllhx4c8 said:
If you haven't knocked things off with wall with sound... you haven't truly lived.
Several years ago, I almost killed our Dachshund when I had my rig (that had two 4x12 cabs) cranked and a large framed painting fell off the wall in the next room, missing her by just a couple of inches. So while I've truly lived, she almost truly died. :LOL: :LOL:

and the difference between the OP's set up and a real amp is like night and day.. so you will need to have that kid back when you pull a Marshall Super Lead out

I don't know, man. I've owned and dimed Marshall 1959's, SLO's, 101B's, TOL's, Twins, VHT D120's & 2150's...a dimed PV 120/120 is right there with that stuff in terms of volume. I ran it at 240w mono for that kid. It's a cheap rig, sure, but it will part your hair.

ADA-MP1 ‘s freaking rule.
I had three. Want another for my in house playing.
All my amps are in the jam room out in the garage.
Got a spider Jam line 6 inside now. Fun Bastard to play on. :LOL: :LOL:

Bad.Seed":1ra79qrm said:
Nothing like 100 glorious tube watts going through a pair of 4x12 cabs.

I remember when Brad King came to the shop in 2011. I hooked him up to the 71 100w SL and four 4x12's.

He hit the Almighty A chord and let it swell into feedback...with the sick grin on his face. LOL

A buddy of mine asked me to teach him and his son how to play. They’ve already been at it together for a few months and the kid is already changing chords with ease and definitely has rhythm and feel. I figured he’d been playing at least 2 years when I first heard him. They’re both playing acoustics so I was really interested to see what his reaction would be like if I put an electric in his hands and cranked it up.

I told my buddy, “I’m going to turn your kid into a metal head, fair warning.”

Granted, I’m all AxeFX these days, when I feel like cranking up I run it into the return of a Peavey XXL head and into a 2x12 cab. I’ve got zero problems getting shit to rattle on the walls and you hear all the strings resonating on my guitars hanging on the walls.

I had them come over a couple weeks back, played a little bit for them at a reasonable level then took my guitar off, gave it to the kid and cranked the Output knob up. I gave him my drop-C guitar so he could just bang around without worrying about chord shapes, he hit that first open C and almost fell out of the chair then got the biggest smile on his face. He was just as tripped out about being able to play with one finger as he was the volume/feeling of it.

I looked at his dad and said “I told ya so!”.

Good kid, he’s only 13 and if I ever saw natural talent before, it’s in him. I certainly didn’t understand rhythm and feel like he does after playing for a few months. I’m anxious to see where his playing goes, especially now that he’s been bitten by the bug of an electric guitar.

Steve Vai said that back with DLR, the name of the game was to play as loud as humanly possible. His modded Marshall was loud, but not loud enough, so for live shows he'd feed it into Mesa/Boogie (IIRC) Strategy 400 power amps, and then into wall of 4x12.

Being front-row at those shows must've been loud.

Dreamspace":zbx1ytmq said:
Steve Vai said that back with DLR, the name of the game was to play as loud as humanly possible. His modded Marshall was loud, but not loud enough, so for live shows he'd feed it into Mesa/Boogie (IIRC) Strategy 400 power amps, and then into wall of 4x12.

Being front-row at those shows must've been loud.

He said in the Pete Thorn interview regarding his Jose Marshall that he had cabinets everywhere, across and under the stage. Steve’s memory, especially when it comes to gear, isn’t always the sharpest, so I wonder if they just had monitor wedges under the stage with the actual guitar cabs somewhere on stage left.

Either way, I have little doubt it was fucking loud as hell. Must have felt great to walk across that stage and feel your guitar roaring no matter where you were.

Back