You kids get off my lawn!

That video is kind of pointless tbh

"Here's the history of guitar to take up some youtube video time, heres boomer bends, heres some awful guitar pro music, no ones right, nothings solved, done"

can't solve an opinion, especially boomer opinions that have fossilized over decades.

polyphia1.gif

Well, with all the sub genera of metal I'm sure they can fit into one of them.

I’m sure someone who isn’t in the band could stick them in one, but those dudes don’t exactly write metal parts, they don’t chug power chords, I don’t get the idea they even want to be in a metal category. That could just be me projecting because I think the sub genre shit is fuckin’ silly.

Reactions: rsm
I’m sure someone who isn’t in the band could stick them in one, but those dudes don’t exactly write metal parts, they don’t chug power chords, I don’t get the idea they even want to be in a metal category. That could just be me projecting because I think the sub genre shit is fuckin’ silly.

As a band internally they probably label themselves as 'we do our own thing that we like'. I might label them as Jazz-Metal lol.
I don't mind a few sub categories to distinguish polar opposites, like thrash and doom for instance. But yeah the metal family tree gets a bit ridiculous with all the branches to distinguish the most minor of differences.

I recall a video of Tim Henson as a teen playing Dream Theater...he's moved on since then. :LOL:

It really doesn't even matter if they are metal are not. They are talented dudes, killer musicians really, and people pay to see them. Plus like has been said they are polarizing so that actually is better for them cause it keeps people talking. Maybe it should be called "heavy petal" like a flower. A gentler easy listening style of metal. It might be cool if a metal band sang about roses and daisies and walks in the park and holding hands and stuff. Call it "Kum-Ba-Ya-core". LOL

That was the gayest wall of death I ever witnessed. There were two dudes who, instead of moshing, met in the middle and joined hands as if it were a peace offering. Disgraceful.
Death metal red rover

They are skilled, but the whole image of them is too gay. Not metal, but hey, there are a lot of things that are not metal.

To me their music is quite alright nu-fusion-jazz type of thing.

Obv the Best-Hair Metal band.

I’m old and not really into Polyphia (it’s OK in tiny doses) but I have a ton of respect for them as musicians. When future kids learn Polyphia they will eventually want to know/learn their influences such as Vai/Petrucci.

I often find myself listening the drummer more than anything, he’s pretty damn good.

Obv the Best-Hair Metal band.

I’m old and not really into Polyphia (it’s OK in tiny doses) but I have a ton of respect for them as musicians. When future kids learn Polyphia they will eventually want to know/learn their influences such as Vai/Petrucci.

I often find myself listening the drummer more than anything, he’s pretty damn good.

Seriously, once I’ve understood the meat of the song I usually end up just listening to the drums and bass. More than I can say for listening to Yngwie!

Back