Your DI matters: heavy tones with minimal processing.

VESmedic

I can’t stress enough how much a DI Matters. I’m constantly reamping tracks from others with absolutely piss poor front ends: dead strings, terrible guitars, terrible leveling on the way in, garbage conversion. And the amount of work I have to do to get it to sound decent is exhausting.

These were professionally tracked DI’s, and i think the weight, girth, and overall vibe really shows. These are all my tones, with the absolute most minimal processing: a basic high and low cut. Usually when I reamp it takes much more than this. The tones might not be your taste however, the logic still applies.

Anyways, just wanted to share, these are some of my favorite tones I’ve ever gotten.

Rev F dual rec
Morin modded JMP
Pepers dirty tree
BAE 1073 mic PRes
Marshall 1960BV W/57
Blended with a kohle kristian IR ( chainsaw pack)

These are just two tracks, but each side was reamped twice. Recto on the outside 100/100, morin JMP Inside 70/70. Tracks phase aligned with little labs delay tool from UAD.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/k279ncGRQaxjdpCg7

This will quickly turn into a goof thread.

But I remember recording bass with a cheap-as-fuck Pro-Co DI. And when we got a dollar, we bought a Radial.

All of a sudden our bass sucked.

DI's definitely matter.

This will quickly turn into a goof thread.

But I remember recording bass with a cheap-as-fuck Pro-Co DI. And when we got a dollar, we bought a Radial.

All of a sudden our bass sucked.

DI's definitely matter.
Ha! I have a cheap-as-fuck Pro-Co DI box and ironically have had the same experience with Radial myself and other's that are in the know.

I do like my D'Accapo ReampBox.

Well this isn’t the original track, but I’ll put it up anyways. I was analyzing some Meshuggah FBM raw tracks and it’s just amazing to me how clear the low midrange is on those tracks. And the high end is fantastic. Everything is just so dark these days compared to these amazing sounding records. Anyways, I’ve been struggling to get what I want at times, and it was striking to me to see how much low midrange I needed to pull out to get a similar eq curve as the Meshuggah tracks. And this is what I came up with. Like 7-9 db of midrange reduction in the low low mids to get similar clarity.

Rev F
Peppers dirty tree
Mesa BV cab
Single 57

So a very similar but “‘modern” setup as the record as well. Anyways, the EQ curve is dead on, but of course that is only one part of the equation. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/PvrrJCzzrpeYt7Yx6

How do you know they are crap guitars? I just use the old radial stuff which seems to be fairly standard across the board. Is it shit? I've compared it to my audient DI and preferred it. Didn't try my two notes DI on the reload though.

Any direction comparison clips? One with ProCo and one with Radial?
In our situation...it was just that the ProCo fit better in the process we were used to.

It's been a million years. And my guess is that the Radial was 'better' in the sense that it passed more LF. It's a superior chunk of gear to be sure.

How do you know they are crap guitars? I just use the old radial stuff which seems to be fairly standard across the board. Is it shit? I've compared it to my audient DI and preferred it. Didn't try my two notes DI on the reload though.

What do you mean how do I know if they are shit guitars? I mean if a guitar sounds like shit, it sounds like shit? Is your audient the stand alone di box they make or are you talking about the DI on your audient interface?

What do you mean how do I know if they are shit guitars? I mean if a guitar sounds like shit, it sounds like shit? Is your audient the stand alone di box they make or are you talking about the DI on your audient interface?

I think I thought you meant their guitars are garbage but ultimately you mean the way the recorded product came to you which could be a variety of things.

I was talking the DI in on the interface of the ASP880.

I think I thought you meant their guitars are garbage but ultimately you mean the way the recorded product came to you which could be a variety of things.

I was talking the DI in on the interface of the ASP880.

I figured you meant the DI On your interface, I would’ve guessed that. Ultimately a standalone DI box is going to beat out the DI on most interfaces. On many interfaces it’s an afterthought, or just something else to cram in there. Not surprised in the least you preferred your radial box, im sure I would too.

I figured you meant the DI On your interface, I would’ve guessed that. Ultimately a standalone DI box is going to beat out the DI on most interfaces. On many interfaces it’s an afterthought, or just something else to cram in there. Not surprised in the least you preferred your radial box, im sure I would too.

So is the radial "that" bad then when compared to the more expensive options? Is there something that those give more of or add to the sound or does the radial shave off fullness? I heard a difference but it wasn't that drastic. That said, I never have time or an empty house enough to reamp anything so maybe I don't have a reason to obsess over the DI.

Back