Your favorite non-Marshall Marshall

Clark MTC-45... 28 loud as hell NVM boosted with anything. The Roccaforte Bastard was the tits in front of it! That's another one I wish I hadn't sold.

Splawn, Landry amps and the Metro plexi and JCM800 kit amps. All of George's Metropolous plexi clones are top notch non-Marshall Marshall's as well as the Germino plexis IMHO!:yes:

Naylor Superdrive. Ok, maybe a little farther from a straight Marshall tone, but it's like a darker take on a Marshall with some Fender thrown in, but still mostly Marshall. Smoother like a Friedman yet still raw and open at the same time. Very unique with the same gain as a 2204; nice loop and maybe the best amp at cleaning up with your guitar vol. Can go as heavy as you want with a boost pedal, and has plenty of tight low end.

Depends what you define a "non marshall marshall" as

Modded Marshalls? The Moab is fucking killer. Hermannson, Cameron, and Monomyth too.

Naylor superdrive. Steavens Poundcake. Larry Dino. All these amps aren't even really Marshalls anymore though, they're something on their own. Once a "modded marshall" reaches an event horizon, it becomes distinctive as a Larry, a Steavens, a Naylor, and is barely recognizable as a "marshall" anymore

as far as amps that are pretty true to the original marshall circuit? Morris perplex'd, MGL, Roccaforte, Germino, Granger, all sound great.

I think the myasnikov marshall stuff is absolutely killer sounding.

I don't care for splawn, Friedman, or most of the Suhr stuff I've played, but it works for lots of people 🤷

I've got 5 amps and 4 of them are Marshall based and are my "holy grail". Depending on the gig, it's one of these:

1. Ceriatone Experienced. Based on a JTM45/100. It does have a few mods, I reverted the tone stack to the original 250-270pf treble capacitor, 56k slope resistor, i restored the B+ rail to four points instead of five. and am using two 5881's instead of four KT66'S to tame the volume a bit. As a clean only amp, it is divine! But, up loud enough to crunch, equally divine!

2. My personal "Emma" 2203/2204 build. Based on a high plate voltage 1978 JMP 2203. Runs a pair of KT88'S at 560+ plate voltage for about 80 watts of power. The amp has a set of 80's vintage Triad PT and OT. It flat out sounds awesome! I set it to crunch and use with a few pedals and voila!

3. Splawn Competition. Based on the 50 watt version of a single channel Quickrod. I use this amp for VH, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, thrash covers, and punk covers. Love this amp!

4. Suhr PT15IR. This is my everything else cover band amp. There isn't any tone I can't access with this amp and a few pedals. Just used it last night at gig. So flexible, dependable, and tonefull. I had so many compliments on my tone last night...

That is one amp that I still really want to try. I've had a bunch of Engl's but never the Artist. Any idea how it compares to the Fireball 100 or Inferno by chance?
no, my only other Engl is an E530 tube preamp and E850/100 Tube power amp that I've owned for many years:

IMG_0334.JPG

I think no one likes the Friedman's around here because they got as popular as they did. Cause I've heard people dialing them in to sound almost exactly like an old Marshall superlead. You just gotta crank the master and use the gain as your volume control.

Last edited:
I like the Friedman PT20, beed to try some others though.
+1 on the PT20, astonishing little monster. Hot-Brit sound better than any Marshall I've owned.
Great lead voice: nice balance of sweetness and bite.
No channel switching - it does only one thing at a time. But it does very well indeed.
And it sounds big for 20 Watts, quite loud. Has Dave's wonderful master volume circuit though.

I will say, the Pink Taco also can deliver nice cleans in a recording situation.
Still, it simply doesn't have the headroom for pristine cleans at battle volume.

Full disclosure, I judge it referencing classic Marshall rock sounds - can't speak to tight chug or detuned metal.
But in recent years it's been my favorite for hot British tones.

I think no one likes the Friedman's around here because they got as popular as they did. Cause I've people dialing them in to sound almost exactly like an old Marshall superlead. You just gotta crank the master and use the gain as your volume control.
I love my smallbox after I add 2 pedals to get the drive and mids where I want them. It is so dark on it's own and the most raw and open of all the Friedmans and it's still dark until you add a koko boost to get some real mids. The amp copying a Marshall should not need 2 pedals to get there.. and I'm an OD always on guy

I love my smallbox after I add 2 pedals to get the drive and mids where I want them. It is so dark on it's own and the most raw and open of all the Friedmans and it's still dark until you add a koko boost to get some real mids. The amp copying a Marshall should not need 2 pedals to get there.. and I'm an OD always on guy
A buddy of mine had a Smallbox. I thought it was pretty good and didn’t need any pedals. Much better amp than the BE100. wasn dark either. What speakers were you using?

I like stock style Marshall amps with a boost pedal. I’m sure lots would fill that bill, but I really like my Roy Blankenship Marshall style amps. He’s got great ears and uses the right components that make the amps really sound right to me.

Back