Your Most Bizarre and Awful Band Tryouts, Past Members, Etc - Post 'Em

Bardagh

Springing off the "Weirdest Gear Deal Ever" thread, I figured lots of guys on here have funny and bizzare stories of the people they've met in band member tryouts or even members of bands they were in.

I will begin.

The late 90's/turn of the millenium was a trying time to be playing death/black metal, especially where I was from in Louisville, KY. My two friends and I, about a year out of high school, were trying to start a real band. At the time we were calling it Vivisection but later decided it sounded like a vegan hardcore band name and changed it to Coronach. We had already started writing songs and had a little repertoire of some covers we could all play through. I played guitar and did vocals, my buddy Mike played guitar, and our friend Adam (a real nut deserving of his own post) played bass.

Everybody knows the hardest thing about forming a real metal band is finding a drummer. There really weren't that many people on the Internet at that point in time. I had been on local BBS's and using AOL, IRC and shit since the early 90's so I already had exhausted those shallow waters. As all the rest of you old bastards know, what you had to do was print out photocopies of flyers with the tear off phone number tabs (with your home phone on it by the way), staple them up in the places where musicians and other miscreants hung out and hope for fate to do you a solid.

Well, we were super stoked to actually get a phone call one day. This guy Jason was also stoked to have found us. He was super excited about all the same shit we were into like Carcass, At the Gates, Death, Dark Tranquility, Amorphis, Emperor and so on. He said his kit was a little rough and he was still developing his skills, but that he was a solid drummer who could grow with us since we were all young and improving. We were all kind of crazy and had sick senses of humor and so on, and he picked up on that and seemed like he was on our wavelength, so we set a time to bring our stuff over to his place and jam.

We showed up and I got kind of a weird vibe off him as soon as he opened the door. He was kind of a weird looking dude but hey, metal is not a beauty contest. He invited us in and took us downstairs. He had the run of a full size basement including an unfinished space that was totally underground where his drums were set up. So far, so good! His drumkit was indeed very rough, but we all had shit gear at the time so we didn't care, we just hoped he could play.

However, it took a while to get to the point of actually playing.

We were happy to shoot the shit a little bit, have a laugh and what not, but he was intent on really dragging things out, pulling all of his tapes out and making us watch videos and it was just getting a little annoying. To make matters worse, he started talking on and off in this weird high pitched voice, especially to try and creep you out with graphic gay "jokes." Our bass player was, up until that point, the gayest acting person in the group so he seemed to take this as a challenge and tried to make this dude more uncomfortable than he was making us. It kept escalating.

Ultimately Mike and I just plugged in and started playing to get the show on the road. I think part of this dude's reticence in jamming was that he really could not fucking play. He couldn't play any of the stuff we told him we knew, and he couldn't pick up on any of our original stuff. He could just kind of dilly dally with sloppy blast beats and inconsistent kick drum rolls until he quickly tired out. We were hardly great musicians, but he was not even on our level. Still, we were so thrilled to just have some percussion we played for a while and told him we'd be happy to jam again.

This apparently really got him excited and he felt that since we accepted him, he could finally "loosen up" around us. So after we were done playing he started going extra hard with the graphically gay stuff and the weird voice. Adam traded more barbs with him until it seemed he had kind of outdone him. Then Jason disappeared into his bedroom and shut the door.

We packed up our gear and came back downstairs to chat before heading home. Dude's door was now open but the lights were off, and just a soft warm glow was coming from within. Then in his creepy gay voice he called out Adam's name, and then came waddling backwards, bare ass naked out of his room with a LIT CANDLE STICKING OUT OF HIS ASSHOLE. The asshole candle was providing the light.

We yelled "What the fuck?!" and ran up and out of the house while he called after us "What's wrong guys???" in that weird voice.

Eventually we actually did meet up with him a few more times because we were so desperate for a drummer. He never got any better at drums though. I wish I could say the candle up the ass was the weirdest thing about this dude. His family was in some kind of weird sect/cult and a few years later we ran into him under kind of disturbing circumstances where I think he may have been keeping some chick in his house against her will.

But I digress! Don't you just love meeting new people?

you went back to a dudes house who chased you backwards with a lit candle in his asshole?? and he couldnt even play?? fuck
And then he went back!!!! Hahahahahaha!! After a dancing nude homo erotic sexual deviant calling to you in a high pitch gay dialect to see if something is wrong, when it’s hit red alert stage 10 levels of full blown disaster!!! Hahahahhahahhahahah!!!

Nothing can top this. I know guys,(not good guys, but fools I grew up with) that in that situation, would have opened up the workshop of kicking ass and issued a beat down upon that guy. Some men become very threatened when hit on by a gay dude. But that, whoa, I would feel like it was an unspoken invitation to join the strange activities.

Last edited:
Around 2006 my long time friend from across the street and I tried to get something going. His friend from work played bass. The guy who played bass came across a drummer and we decided to jam at the drummer's place. Mr. Crowley was the song. The kicker was the drummer was associated with a xylophonist. They were NOT inseparable. I didn't know that until I got there.

Just picture this: 2 guitarist, a bassist, a drummer, and a xylophonist playing Mr. Crowley.

I packed my shit and left. Me and the bassist got into a bad exchange of words because he arranged this.

Mr. Crowley being played with a xylophone!? Hell No!

I honestly don’t know how I would react to a lit candle stuffed ass backing up in my direction after a terrible jam session, it’s just too wild to comprehend. Going back though is even more wild

Yeah that candle shit is funny and weird....can't beat it.

I guess the only thing that comes to mind is when I was much younger I was in a local band that did fairly well in the area.

There was this guy from the neighborhood, knew who he was but didn't really know him. I guess he played guitar. Ended up stalking me, used to see him standing on the corner bh my house every once in a while with a gig bag on his back just standing there.

I think he was hoping I'd ask him to come in and jam. I would have but I was low on candles.

You guys should have ran a forced train on him. If he was still down afterwards you have a drummer for life. Also, he would have probably cooled out on the jokes after that.

Around 2006 my long time friend from across the street and I tried to get something going. His friend from work played bass. The guy who played bass came across a drummer and we decided to jam at the drummer's place. Mr. Crowley was the song. The kicker was the drummer was associated with a xylophonist. They were NOT inseparable. I didn't know that until I got there.

Just picture this: 2 guitarist, a bassist, a drummer, and a xylophonist playing Mr. Crowley.

I packed my shit and left. Me and the bassist got into a bad exchange of words because he arranged this.

Mr. Crowley being played with a xylophone!? Hell No!
That is pretty wild. What if he was a kickass drummer though and the xylophonist could rip it up? You might have missed out.

I totally know the "searching for a metal drummer" pain.

Showed up to jam one time, and the drummer who has responded to our ads was a super religious Mormon guy.

He spent the entire time trying to teach us the ways of Joseph Smith, and refused to play any music.

Another time, the drummer dude who responded to the ad was actually pretty decent, but whenever it got quiet you could hear strange noises in the house.

Turns out he kidnapped neighborhood pets and kept them captive for "experiments."

Drummers, man.

I'm so glad programming plug ins have improved the last 20 years.

Well, we were auditioning singers back in the 90's and I had thought the guy showing up in a full-on clown suit and calling himself "The BAD Clown" was a pretty freaky thing but I think your guy had the clown guy beat!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We showed up and I got kind of a weird vibe off him as soon as he opened the door. He was kind of a weird looking dude but hey, metal is not a beauty contest. He invited us in and took us downstairs. He had the run of a full-size basement including an unfinished space that was totally underground ............

"He invited us in and took us downstairs" :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2022-07-24 212726.jpg

Most people would have left seeing this guy but then you stayed and jammed with him plus you provided us with these additional details:

We packed up our gear and came back downstairs to chat before heading home. Dude's door was now open but the lights were off, and just a soft warm glow was coming from within. Then in his creepy gay voice he called out Adam's name, and then came waddling backwards, bare ass naked out of his room with a LIT CANDLE STICKING OUT OF HIS ASSHOLE. The asshole candle was providing the light.

Didn't the little white dog looking down at you while you were jamming not tell you something was VERY VERY wrong?????

SOTL_TF.png

silence-of-the-lambs.jpg

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Silence-Of-The-Lamb-1.jpg

1312346.jpg

Last edited:
I've had the usual:

1. Guy who can't sing, but want's to be a singer, overly sensitive and expects others to do everything for them
2. Guy who turns his amp up during every song and adds new bits to the guitar parts everytime we play the tune
3. Bitter old guy who was convinced the best music on earth conveniently manifested during his high school years. They also hated that young people didn't play rock music, then would complain when young people played rock music.

We had a drummer for a bit who we knew from HS, but had turned into quite a pill popper, and a master scam artist. He used to call fast food places after practice and get himself free food with this whole line about "I came through the drive through earlier to get lunch for my crew, and they shorted me ::insert items he wanted for free::", with some other assorted, convincing bullshit, and got himself free food right in front of us like every fucking time we played together. I think he eventually burnt that method out on every fast food place within 10 miles because they all eventually caught on.
i don't know if he was just flexing his scamming skills or just saving his money for Percs and Oxys. probably a bit of both.

1984 or so and I'm 18 years old...all I'm listening to is the early thrash that's just coming out(Metallica/Slayer etc).
But I'm playing bass in a ski resort circuit band doing Huey Lewis,the Romantix and classic rock and some hair "metal".
All the elder statesmen in my band were bagging on me for that noise coming from my walkman.
The summer of 85 I move back home to Arlington and head over the the Abbott's house and talk to Darrell and Vince about what the ski circuit was like. I tell them I want to play thrash now and Vince starts laughing at me.
"That noisey shit will never sell,dude!"
But Darrell says "I'll call Walter and get him over here."
Walt shows up 5 minutes later dragging his ESP yellow/black cheetah print guitar into the house.
Now when I say dragging....I mean dragging.
He was holding it by the neck,dragging it behind him in the front door and I watched it bounce over the threshold. No case. Just the guitar.
Just like a cave man dragging his club behind him.
Darrell hands me eRex's old Ibanez roadstar bass and Walt and I go to town for 20-30 minutes.
We blow thru a bunch of the deeper metallica cuts(no seek and destroy shit). Then most of Slayers first album.
All the fast shit.
We're both laughing like elementary school kids the whole time trying to shout out the vocals so we know where we are in the song.
After a while we stop and Walter says "You're in."
That was the beginning of Rotting Corpse.
I never played anything but thrash from that point forward.
Walter was a bigger influence on me than anyone else. I was so blown away by his rhythm playing I eventually quit the bass and switched to guitar.
But I'll never forget him dragging that ESP Star body into the house by its neck like it was just a weapon instead of a valuable/rare for its time guitar. It's one of my all time favorite memories.

Note....that ESP was a gift that the Pantera boys gave Walter for his birthday.
The strat style head stock had to be cut up because they only had 3 on a side tuning pegs available and nobody had money back then.
You had to make do with what you had. That's the Texas redneck way. "Grab a saw!!"
He smashed it to pieces several times at the end of gigs,then would bolt/glue it back together for the next gig.
I had a great misspent youth.

1984 or so and I'm 18 years old...all I'm listening to is the early thrash that's just coming out(Metallica/Slayer etc).
But I'm playing bass in a ski resort circuit band doing Huey Lewis,the Romantix and classic rock and some hair "metal".
All the elder statesmen in my band were bagging on me for that noise coming from my walkman.
The summer of 85 I move back home to Arlington and head over the the Abbott's house and talk to Darrell and Vince about what the ski circuit was like. I tell them I want to play thrash now and Vince starts laughing at me.
"That noisey shit will never sell,dude!"
But Darrell says "I'll call Walter and get him over here."
Walt shows up 5 minutes later dragging his ESP yellow/black cheetah print guitar into the house.
Now when I say dragging....I mean dragging.
He was holding it by the neck,dragging it behind him in the front door and I watched it bounce over the threshold. No case. Just the guitar.
Just like a cave man dragging his club behind him.
Darrell hands me eRex's old Ibanez roadstar bass and Walt and I go to town for 20-30 minutes.
We blow thru a bunch of the deeper metallica cuts(no seek and destroy shit). Then most of Slayers first album.
All the fast shit.
We're both laughing like elementary school kids the whole time trying to shout out the vocals so we know where we are in the song.
After a while we stop and Walter says "You're in."
That was the beginning of Rotting Corpse.
I never played anything but thrash from that point forward.
Walter was a bigger influence on me than anyone else. I was so blown away by his rhythm playing I eventually quit the bass and switched to guitar.
But I'll never forget him dragging that ESP Star body into the house by its neck like it was just a weapon instead of a valuable/rare for its time guitar. It's one of my all time favorite memories.

Note....that ESP was a gift that the Pantera boys gave Walter for his birthday.
The strat style head stock had to be cut up because they only had 3 on a side tuning pegs available and nobody had money back then.
You had to make do with what you had. That's the Texas redneck way. "Grab a saw!!"
He smashed it to pieces several times at the end of gigs,then would bolt/glue it back together for the next gig.
I had a great misspent youth.
Great story dude!🤘

Back