Zakk killing it live in ‘89

Zakk is my favorite Ozzy guitarist. I like Crazy Train and Bark at the moon best but Zakk had more killer hits IMO than Randy and Jake.. of course, he was with Ozzy a lot longer too.

Watched that one a few times. Good stuff. Ozzy cracks me up. He had a way of making you go nuts at his shows back then. He chilled by the time of the Sabbath Reunion tour.

Seems like Zakk and Lynch were at their best when they were skinny young dudes, still hungry.

Man this is literally the basis for all things I do for my rig and playing. Just great playing and killer songs. You can tell that concert was insane.

That’s the stuff!!

Black Label was the worst thing to happen to Zakk. All forgettable music; he went on a worse trajectory.

Should’ve stuck with the Pride and Glory vibe
The early black label has a pride and glory vibe to it, for example I still find myself humming stillborn in my head to this day. He writes amazing acoustic renditions, but I do agree he puts out way more forgettable material than not, but that doesn’t make him any less of a player or musician. Dude puts in the work practicing g major scales just like the rest of us and can sing and play at the same time which is more than I’ll ever be able to do. He can write and compose and he’s a pro at both. I just wish he hung onto the southern chicken pickin vibe.

Yeah Zakk was on fire back then for sho. Castillo is fucking obnoxious though with his constant overplaying. No groove man…

The early black label has a pride and glory vibe to it, for example I still find myself humming stillborn in my head to this day. He writes amazing acoustic renditions, but I do agree he puts out way more forgettable material than not, but that doesn’t make him any less of a player or musician. Dude puts in the work practicing g major scales just like the rest of us and can sing and play at the same time which is more than I’ll ever be able to do. He can write and compose and he’s a pro at both. I just wish he hung onto the southern chicken pickin vibe.
It's always worth the price of admission to see him live still today. We always go when he comes around. His shows are ALWAYS a good time, and he typically has killer bands with him. We last saw him with Corrosion Of Conformity. His last go around was with Obituary! Sucked we didn't get to go because of Covid!

2DE7B07B-49B2-44A8-9702-FF9DD2AB7574.jpeg

Yeah Zakk was on fire back then for sho. Castillo is fucking obnoxious though with his constant overplaying. No groove man…
I was never much of Castillo's drumming either. Seemed like a great guy but just didn't do much for me drumming wise.

This is Zakk's pinnacle as a guitarist though.

I was never much of Castillo's drumming either. Seemed like a great guy but just didn't do much for me drumming wise.

This is Zakk's pinnacle as a guitarist though.
I like the guitar solo when he whips the guitar between his legs and keeps riffing without ever missing a beat

Wicked player and performer but as the years go by, I can't stand that obnoxious vibrato. Slow that thing down now and again. He wasn't huge on dynamics that's for sure. Pride n Glory was his best work and I stand by that. Book of Shadows was great too. I think what happens to me with Zakk is that ear fatigue sets in really quick. No matter what he plays.

Back