Zakk killing it live in ‘89

Wicked player and performer but as the years go by, I can't stand that obnoxious vibrato. Slow that thing down now and again. He wasn't huge on dynamics that's for sure. Pride n Glory was his best work and I stand by that. Book of Shadows was great too. I think what happens to me with Zakk is that ear fatigue sets in really quick. No matter what he plays.
I would agree with that but also any player gets old if he is around long enough and keeps putting out material. At least Zakk has a work ethic. Lot of these guys disappeared after the early 90s and gave up. I think when he plays acoustic you get more dynamics and feel out of him. I stopped listening to him several years ago as he is kind of out of ideas to me.

I would agree with that but also any player gets old if he is around long enough and keeps putting out material. At least Zakk has a work ethic. Lot of these guys disappeared after the early 90s and gave up. I think when he plays acoustic you get more dynamics and feel out of him. I stopped listening to him several years ago as he is kind of out of ideas to me.
I think you are right. Ed's playing got stale too. It happens with these guys. One of the few I can still listen to is Schenker but that's mostly because he is smooth and thinks of melody before pinch harmonics or speed. But hard not to become a footnote

That’s the stuff!!

Black Label was the worst thing to happen to Zakk. All forgettable music; he went on a worse trajectory.

Should’ve stuck with the Pride and Glory vibe
The worst thing to happen to Zakk is his singing voice sounds the way it does.

When did Ozzy jump the shark? Was it "The Osbournes? Earlier? or does he get a lifetime pass due to being a pioneer? I was a huge Ozzy fan for years and years, but eventually checked out

When did Ozzy jump the shark? Was it "The Osbournes? Earlier? or does he get a lifetime pass due to being a pioneer? I was a huge Ozzy fan for years and years, but eventually checked out
Has to be after No More Tears. I mean Perry Mason is a cool tune and the tour he did with Holmes was solid but after that I'd say he jumped the shark..

What memories. I was the biggest Zakk Wylde Fan-Boi back in the day. I wore No Rest flat out. I went to GIT in ‘89 and met Zakk at Guitar Center where he did a clinic. Lee Jackson was there lurking in the back. I was blown away. Stayed late to meet him and he could not have been cooler or more down to earth. He introduced me and my buddies to Lee and to Barbara and then threw out an open invitation to hang out the following night at the TNT show at The Palace in Hollywood. And he wasn’t shitting. When we wandered up to the bar he called out to us and bought everybody a round of Coronas. I loved every note that guy played through Pride-n-Glory. I could never make the connection with BLS. Good for him that he is still out there and still doing it.

I loved his first record with Ozzy and it is the one I go to when I want to hear Oz. Such a great find and he was so mature in his playing at that age. It's a great story of his as to how he reinvented himself to stand out.

Similar to Yngwie and other shredders, the need to get faster and faster really damaged their style, but there is no denying this period is amazing.

Zakk is one of those guys where I do not care if they've put out some crap. They get a total pass because some the early stuff they did was absolutely ripping and you can't take that away.

Back