ZEN Amps YouTube thread - Friedman Dirty Shirley 40W vid up

Usually the biggest proponents of using IRs are the people selling them or having affiliations with people selling them.

I don’t think that’s true at all. I have no affiliation to EAS, or titan audio’s IR’s. I simply think both are at the top of the game in the IR world, by a long shot. As well as nollys GGD pack.

It all goes back to an emotional experience. Just as playing and how we achieve a sound is really driven by our emotions, so can how we record. For e.g. Modellers vs. Amps. I think modellers and some sims sound pretty amazing but the difference in pleasure I get out of turning knobs, feeling air out of a cab, even smelling the amp vs. using a keyboard and mouse are light years apart. Same with recording. Unfortunately tape is no longer viable these days but I would much rather use mics on speakers, patchbays and outboard gear through a board if I could because emotionally its my happier place than working in the box. Plus I was always a lot more creative in achieving what was in my head using those outdated ways than trying to figure it out with software...lol

On a side note, some Slayer from Seasons came on in my phone and it just really jumped out at me how homogenized newer music/metal sounds because of software and the laziness it seems to foster. Love hearing a recording where it's so full of the personality and style of the band. No mistaking who it is when a song starts from back then. Most metal bands today I couldn't begin to tell you unless the vocalist is unique. Even the new Megadeth. Couldn't say until Mustaine starts singing.

I agree with this also 110 percent. You are dead on. I think part of the problem is too, that all the digital stuff coming out today sounds REALLY fucking good out of the box, like REALLY good. But you are right about it fostering laziness. People are also scared of pushing the envelope and going against the grain. I can understand this fully. But often my favorite records are completely imperfect. The old death records, first sepultura records, slayer etc. they are all sinful productions by “todays standards”. They are bright, gnarly, guitars have edge, drums are super loud etc. the in the box software fosters a culture against all of this unfortunately, and that definitely needs to change.

Usually the biggest proponents of using IRs are the people selling them or having affiliations with people selling them.
Controversial! Man each to his own, they're just tools to get the job done.

It all goes back to an emotional experience....
I wouldn't normally think to use the word emotion but I think you're right. I mean we own a lot of amps, and a lot of our guitar playing friends have questioned why, and we should just profile and sell them all. Even if the profiles did sound dead on (which they most certainly do not) what can't be replaced is the joy that certain gear brings, plus familiarity, tweakability, workflow benefits etc. And let's not kid ourselves, looks and cool factor certainly come into it.

If they invent a fugly digital guitar that has a switch that changes it from sounding 'exactly' like my favourite Strat to favourite Les Paul, well I'm not sure I'll be gassing for it.

New member of the “full of shit club” here. Didn’t realize being able to tell the difference between a real speaker and a digital representation of one would offend anyone.

Didn’t realize some would feel so sensitive and attacked without calling anyone out by name! I’m not offended, you are just quite frankly, completely full of shit. :)

Play nice you two - or we'll release a series of videos shouting at the camera claiming 'you've been doing it all wrong' and 'this one simple trick will fix your tone.'

Hahah! I’m just sayin…it’s just ridiculous. I have never met anyone, or heard of anyone ever being able to consistently tell the difference between a mic’d up cab, and an IR of that very same signal chain. This is complete nonsense, we all know this.

No need for insults guys. If VHSmegadick, with the golden ears says there’s no difference, then rest assured there is absolutely no difference that he can tell, at least.

No need for insults guys. If VHSmegadick, with the golden ears says there’s no difference, then rest assured there is absolutely no difference that he can tell, at least.

Oh quick….the ultimate shit stirrer with absolutely nothing to contribute is here. If he’s not here to start shit, it’s to come in and actually start shit, and then say “ let’s end this”… in reference to shit stirring started by him….LMAO GTFOH dude…there’s an ignore button. Feel free to use it.

Seriously… just go look at your posts, and think gee… what do I actually contribute here other than snarky hollier than thou comments? How many fights ARE you in on rig talk?

Oh quick….the ultimate shit stirrer with absolutely nothing to contribute is here. If he’s not here to start shit, it’s to come in and actually start shit, and then say “ let’s end this”… in reference to shit stirring started by him….LMAO GTFOH dude…there’s an ignore button. Feel free to use it.

Seriously… just go look at your posts, and think gee… what do I actually contribute here other than snarky hollier than thou comments? How many fights ARE you in on rig talk?
The difference is I know exactly how I come across here and it’s 100% intentional. You appear to have no fucking clue how you come across online. Purely by chance, I’ve seen quite a few members call you out for your shitty attitude. Oh, and of course, we’re ALL in the wrong about it lol

The difference is I know exactly how I come across here and it’s 100% intentional. You appear to have no fucking clue how you come across online. Purely by chance, I’ve seen quite a few members call you out for your shitty attitude. Oh, and of course, we’re ALL in the wrong about it lol

Oh no, I know exactly how I come across. But you never let off the prick mode. That’s the difference. And you are of no help to anyone. THATS the difference. “Purely by chance”… Jesus Christ man. GTFOH. You are more full of it than I thought.

You guys need to get a Top Hat or two in the mix. Brian does some of the best classic inspired amps made today. He just released a vid of the NJ20, a nice rockin’ AC15 variation. One volume, one cut knob and a three way switch. Sounds fantastic. His Emplexador and Emplex Junior amps just nail classic hot Marshall tone.

Didn’t realize some would feel so sensitive and attacked without calling anyone out by name! I’m not offended, you are just quite frankly, completely full of shit. :)
Translation --> "I'm right. How dare you disagree with me. I will now go into internet tough guy mode"

Translation --> "I'm right. How dare you disagree with me. I will now go into internet tough guy mode

Translation- “I TOTALLY can here the difference, you are crazy if you CANT hear that digital fizz of IR’s! What’s that? Prove it? Yea right ! I just know I can hear the difference! “

I agree the end result can be indistinguishable, but playing devil's advocate - the creative process is different, which usually leads to different outcomes.
Agree with this and real micing allows for more tone creativity to find new sounds.

Playing devil's advocate on this again, you could also argue IRs can help the creative process because the 'great tone' part is taken care of and a player can play around more with riffs, arrangements and effects etc.

Having said all this, the world for guitarists has never been better and yet guys are still bitching just as much as ever 🤣.

I don't have the luxury of being able to mic a cranked amp often so an IR allows me to still do what I love while not giving up my much loved tube amps.

Agree with this and real micing allows for more tone creativity to find new sounds.

Playing devil's advocate on this again, you could also argue IRs can help the creative process because the 'great tone' part is taken care of and a player can play around more with riffs, arrangements and effects etc.

Having said all this, the world for guitarists has never been better and yet guys are still bitching just as much as ever 🤣.

I don't have the luxury of being able to mic a cranked amp often so an IR allows me to still do what I love while not giving up my much loved tube amps.
Any tech or toys that get people playing, recording and enjoying is good in my book.

Actually you, me and @Monkey Man need to capitalise on this time - the yanks are asleep! Let's talk Vegemite, footy, cricket and shit.

Back