Celestion EVH Greenbacks...

lespaul6

What do you guys think of them compared to regular greenbacks? tighter? darker? looser? brighter? Any and all opinions welcome

Recently got a pair of them and put them in a EVH 2x12 cab, compared to my 4x12 Greenback cab, they sound tighter and brighter

I'm considering getting a EVH 5150 cab here locally just for the speakers.. I really dont need the cab though, I'll probably be stuck with the empty cab forever.

I have the EVH 4 x 12 cab on the way. I have been running two EVH 2 x 12 cabs. I am excited to see how the EVH 4 x 12 sounds. I may be interested in your empty evh cab.

What do you guys think a fair price on the empty cab would be? Its like brand new, no marks at all... I would have to bring it to fedex for a box/packing so factor that in as well. I'm open to this

I picked up a minty EVH cab (empty) for 500 shipped. Don't know if that was a good deal or not but it's a pretty nice cab if a little tubbier than my VHT cab.

Oblivion DC":2f5yrh90 said:
I picked up a minty EVH cab (empty) for 500 shipped. Don't know if that was a good deal or not but it's a pretty nice cab if a little tubbier than my VHT cab.

I got mine loaded for $595 and it was also minty.

I love the sound of my EVH 412, but mine has a design flaw and I was wondering if any of you guys with this cab have run into the same issue. It's with the wheels on it. Roll the cab length- wise, and the casters swivel around and hit the rubber feet that are also on the underside of the cab. 2 of the 4 wheels rub against the rubber feet and basically skid leaving black marks on whatever surface your rolling it across. Push the cab the other way (with the speaker side or backside as the front and/or back) and she rolls fine, but is prone to tipping over. Maybe mine has different wheels on it or something, but I bought it new. Rolled it across my living room carpet and spent an hour scrubbing off two 20ft long black streaks. Curious if anyone else has noticed this. Great sounding cab though!

LanierP":3nr57g3n said:
I love the sound of my EVH 412, but mine has a design flaw and I was wondering if any of you guys with this cab have run into the same issue. It's with the wheels on it. Roll the cab length- wise, and the casters swivel around and hit the rubber feet that are also on the underside of the cab. 2 of the 4 wheels rub against the rubber feet and basically skid leaving black marks on whatever surface your rolling it across. Push the cab the other way (with the speaker side or backside as the front and/or back) and she rolls fine, but is prone to tipping over. Maybe mine has different wheels on it or something, but I bought it new. Rolled it across my living room carpet and spent an hour scrubbing off two 20ft long black streaks. Curious if anyone else has noticed this. Great sounding cab though!

Yes, the casters are a problem. If you open the back of the cab, you will see these lipstick-like tubes pressed (loosely) into the wood and they are what house the caster wheel shafts. One of mine became dislodged from the wood. And because it was pressed into the wood, once the wood had lost its shape, it's done. I removed all four rubber feet and caster wheels and just bought new ones at Home Depot that take four screws each into the wood. Yeah, they're no longer removable, but they work perfectly now.

Stradazone":2opry5bx said:
Recently got a pair of them and put them in a EVH 2x12 cab, compared to my 4x12 Greenback cab, they sound tighter and brighter
This has been my experience as well.

I agree: tighter and brighter. Also noticeably quieter.

The Chinese Greenbacks seem a tad more aggressive in the high-mids but the EVH's seem noticeably more sizzly in the highs. The breakup is also slightly different.

Well I picked up the cab tonight and Ive been playing since I got home going back and forth between both cabs and here is my review:

The 5150 cab and evh speakers sound really good with a tremendous bottom, much deeper than my V30's. They are darker than I'm used to for sure. Very woody, they only have enough top to maintain clarity.. no harshness whatsoever. I can see why people use this cab live in a small club, I cant imagine ever being asked to turn down. You are able to get a cranked up sound at very reasonable levels compared to my V30's.

These EVH greenbacks seem more modern (thank the V30) with all that low end. The EVH cab is very well made from what I can see, the wheels do rub the pads if you roll it a certain way but no big deal. It will be nice to have one cab with green backs to offset my other cabinets. Now to get them out of the EVH and into my 1960AX.

I will have a mint empty cab available if anyone wants it... have to find out about shipping costs and a box.

HilltopExplosion":1eo3oivd said:
I bought 2 EVH cabs new in 2009.. At first they were tight n bright, but not now. Sound like an old greenie to me.

Are the EVH speakers tolerable before they break in or is it an unpleasant bright ?

hammered":1aedx5v2 said:
HilltopExplosion":1aedx5v2 said:
I bought 2 EVH cabs new in 2009.. At first they were tight n bright, but not now. Sound like an old greenie to me.

Are the EVH speakers tolerable before they break in or is it an unpleasant bright ?

Yeah, they are tolerable, just stiff. I noticed I had to dial the presence back.. or ouch! The dogs up the street would bark. Now they are a lot warmer, and when pushed to natural distortion have that... sing,.. cry to them? I can't explain.. It's good though! Can do metal to classic rock. If you go to Celestion's website, open three windows. Put some headphones on and listen/compare the Heritage series g12m, then EVH G12EVH (I can't hear the difference between the two, I think they are the same speaker) then g12m greenback. The distortion clip gives a good representation of what they sound like. Here is a clip I did with my 5150III comparing 1 EVH cab That's stock, and 1 with EVH on top, v30's in the bottom. I dialed the amp in using the EVH/V30 cab, to illustrate the difference between the two with the same amp/settings. The mic was 3 feet away, pointing at the center of the cab, so you could really hear the difference. The amp was also eq'd dark, because it was teeth rattlin' loud. The presence was at noon and treble was at 9 o'clock. All the info is in the description. Hope this helps!

https://soundcloud.com/user-437728583/e ... h-v30-test

Here is with left dry and right wet using EVH speaker

https://soundcloud.com/user-437728583/e ... ker-test-2

It's sloppy, but IDGAF.. It's just a test :D

guys I just loaded them into my marshall 1960ax cab and took the vintage 30's out. .. I noticed that the wiring method used in the EVH cab is the old vintage style wiring not the modern wiring. I think that might be why I noticed more bottom/bass than usual. I think I like modern wiring better than the vintage, my amp already has enough bass frequency. I will have to get the soldering iron out to fix this as they are the soldered heritage style tabs... it never ends.

Even with all that added bass the vintage wiring gives the speakers stay tight for palm mutes..sound great.

Back