Celestion EVH Greenbacks...

lespaul6":v1e4gd4r said:
guys I just loaded them into my marshall 1960ax cab and took the vintage 30's out. .. I noticed that the wiring method used in the EVH cab is the old vintage style wiring not the modern wiring. I think that might be why I noticed more bottom/bass than usual. I think I like modern wiring better than the vintage, my amp already has enough bass frequency. I will have to get the soldering iron out to fix this as they are the soldered heritage style tabs... it never ends.

Even with all that added bass the vintage wiring gives the speakers stay tight for palm mutes..sound great.

When you say vintage style wiring, is that paralell/series vs series/paralell? I'm askin' 'cause I don't know.

The Heritage G12M is the same speaker as the EVH.
I bought two EVH 4x12s after finding out they are the closest thing in tone to my favorite 4x12 ever... an original, bone stock 67 Marshall with 20w greenbacks.
The EVH 4x12 are just a hair tighter than the original 67, but very close.
My favorite cabs.

I 'think" vintage style wiring is parallel/series... I know it by this diagram.. this is how the evh cabs come wired

And this is how a Marshall 1960ax comes wired

Attachments

• modern wiring.jpg
    modern wiring.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2,986
lespaul6":1ckihc6s said:
I 'think" vintage style wiring is parallel/series... I know it by this diagram.. this is how the evh cabs come wired

Original Vintage Marshall cabs are series/parallel wired [ not parallel/series wired].

With a single jack at the bottom.

They also have soldered terminals points.

LanierP":3e0ykieg said:
I love the sound of my EVH 412, but mine has a design flaw and I was wondering if any of you guys with this cab have run into the same issue. It's with the wheels on it. Roll the cab length- wise, and the casters swivel around and hit the rubber feet that are also on the underside of the cab. 2 of the 4 wheels rub against the rubber feet and basically skid leaving black marks on whatever surface your rolling it across. Push the cab the other way (with the speaker side or backside as the front and/or back) and she rolls fine, but is prone to tipping over. Maybe mine has different wheels on it or something, but I bought it new. Rolled it across my living room carpet and spent an hour scrubbing off two 20ft long black streaks. Curious if anyone else has noticed this. Great sounding cab though!

I have the same problem with mine(black)

I love the evh gb with the 5153, thought it sounded awesome with that amp but didnt like it with my Herbert and uberschall.

Les Zombie":f17dm29j said:
I love the evh gb with the 5153, thought it sounded awesome with that amp but didnt like it with my Herbert and uberschall.

I could definitely see that. My Bogners, and the Diezel VH4 I had just loved V30's. I think those amps are just voiced for them specifically.

My EVH 5153's sounded great through the EVH 412. My BE100 sounded huge through the EVH cab. But that amp likes pretty much any speaker.

I will say the EVH cab is just a better quality and better sounding cab than my Marshall 1960ax...

There is something about the v30's and the way they keep the wound strings defined that I like.

If shipping this thing ends up not being worth it I will keep the cab and put my v30s in it.

Stradazone":98238c7k said:
Recently got a pair of them and put them in a EVH 2x12 cab, compared to my 4x12 Greenback cab, they sound tighter and brighter

Nice tone and playing! :rock:

HilltopExplosion":2gfd04b3 said:
hammered":2gfd04b3 said:
HilltopExplosion":2gfd04b3 said:
I bought 2 EVH cabs new in 2009.. At first they were tight n bright, but not now. Sound like an old greenie to me.

Are the EVH speakers tolerable before they break in or is it an unpleasant bright ?

Yeah, they are tolerable, just stiff. I noticed I had to dial the presence back.. or ouch! The dogs up the street would bark. Now they are a lot warmer, and when pushed to natural distortion have that... sing,.. cry to them? I can't explain.. It's good though! Can do metal to classic rock. If you go to Celestion's website, open three windows. Put some headphones on and listen/compare the Heritage series g12m, then EVH G12EVH (I can't hear the difference between the two, I think they are the same speaker) then g12m greenback. The distortion clip gives a good representation of what they sound like. Here is a clip I did with my 5150III comparing 1 EVH cab That's stock, and 1 with EVH on top, v30's in the bottom. I dialed the amp in using the EVH/V30 cab, to illustrate the difference between the two with the same amp/settings. The mic was 3 feet away, pointing at the center of the cab, so you could really hear the difference. The amp was also eq'd dark, because it was teeth rattlin' loud. The presence was at noon and treble was at 9 o'clock. All the info is in the description. Hope this helps!

https://soundcloud.com/user-437728583/e ... h-v30-test

Here is with left dry and right wet using EVH speaker

https://soundcloud.com/user-437728583/e ... ker-test-2

It's sloppy, but IDGAF.. It's just a test :D

I ordered 2 EVH speakers today from Sweetwater that I`m gonna put in a 2x12. I`m a little nervous as it`s been years since I`ve had to break in new speakers but I can`t imagine them sounding too bad when new

Back