Rocktron Introduces The ValveSonic Plexi

psychodave":1s8xa4cc said:
Markedman":1s8xa4cc said:
:D They have. Can't you read?

I've bought stuff from them.

Rocktron is as “fretheadz” on ebay.

I went onto their site to buy online and they sent me to Amazon. $799. No thanks. I was hoping for a link to the cheap prices. :D
Its been a nightmare of searching to get the price. They seem to post 4 at a time then replenish. Ill post the links I have but they may be broken awaiting replenishment or possibly sold out.

At TGP guys were calling GHS (parent company) directly and getting them for a bit cheaper as well. If you REALLY want the plexi Id call asap. ($275 plus ship)

TGP thread:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t-29846322

Plexi (currently sold out)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocktron-Valve ... SwFLBaXk8V

Blackplate: (available)
https://www.ebay.com/p/12034696454?iid= ... gKH9PD_BwE

That's a killer deal at 300$? I would even consider the black head.. real preamp tubes as well from what I understand? How are these guys blowing them out so cheap?

Kapo_Polenton":8wkespyh said:
That's a killer deal at 300$? I would even consider the black head.. real preamp tubes as well from what I understand? How are these guys blowing them out so cheap?
Yup real fully featured tube preamps.

It seems that it took them years to get to market and then only half of the line made it.

At that point synergy existed which for the price point is far more featured for live use. I bet they are discontinued or V2 is about to drop.

The Plexi still interests me a bit more as I am wondering how the black can go through Tweed/blackface right up to a Mesa sort of deal? Yes there are similarities between preamps in amps but I have to think that somewhere something has been sacrificed in order for them to jam Mesa gain tones in with a Fender line? Also in the demos, they all sounded very similar to me which is what I feel about a lot of the synergy stuff. ( I am a Randall MTS guy and still have a bunch of modules). They sound good but really, the power section is what makes the preamps shine and sound like the authentic amp. Nobody has picked up yet on this enough and designed a modular power amp that is set up to cover british/american flavours across the big three: Fender, Vox, Marshall.

Kapo_Polenton":2nacc1v7 said:
The Plexi still interests me a bit more as I am wondering how the black can go through Tweed/blackface right up to a Mesa sort of deal? Yes there are similarities between preamps in amps but I have to think that somewhere something has been sacrificed in order for them to jam Mesa gain tones in with a Fender line? Also in the demos, they all sounded very similar to me which is what I feel about a lot of the synergy stuff. ( I am a Randall MTS guy and still have a bunch of modules). They sound good but really, the power section is what makes the preamps shine and sound like the authentic amp. Nobody has picked up yet on this enough and designed a modular power amp that is set up to cover british/american flavours across the big three: Fender, Vox, Marshall.

Read the manual explains all the switches for added gainstages and tone stack swaps. The mesa mki/mkii were modded fenders. Not hard to believe at all.

http://www.rocktron.com/uploads/2/2/2/5 ... manual.pdf

Correct though, power amps are half of the equation for each amplifier topology. Great tones are also had mixing which rack guys already know.

This product says its a blackface/tweed/mesa PREAMP. It doesnt claim to copy the full amplifier tones.

Im also into the added features such as tight switch, bright switch, and high cut.

I am expecting a blackface preamp, not a fender deluxe.

Good points.. if they can get the regular price of these down, to me there is no reason why they can't compete with Synergy because the options on their units seem to be more abundant where tone shaping is concerned. Too bad these haven't gained more traction. The Vox/Top boost preamp is also a fantastic idea.

Inearthed":3hx2bvcb said:
Sounds like it has some workable tones here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjs9F2ptTjs

Sounds really bad in the other two play through videos on Youtube... I'd be curious to hear some dialed in clips.

Agreed, the ToneKing should have his youtube license revoked. He makes everything sound like shit. After all this time and he still doesn't understand mic positioning or mic preamps? God awful playing and tone on everything. How can one person fail so badly I always ask myself...

Does a hell of a lot more than any plexi or modded plexi I've ever played through. This is VOX/Matchless/Bad Cat/Marshall, all day long. Listen to those mids... Distoriton is smooth, yet articulate. No effects loop pollution. I'm in!

Kapo_Polenton":3kj6zabj said:

Randall has/had a power amp that can , the RT2-50, with the option of 6L6 on one side and EL34 in the other, and it switches via MIDI.

I currently use a Fractal Axe FX II with Ares 2.x FW to create various virtual tube power sections and cab sims for my tube pre's (as well as FX of course). The Axe FX II works great with the tube preamps via lightweight solid state power and/or DI'd. Another option is the Two Notes stuff which works good as well (CAB/LIVE etc). I have a custom RM-2 with various custom MTS pre's (Dumble ODS #134, Marshall Super Lead/Friedman BE, Matchless Chieftain, Vox AC-30, Hiwatt DR-103, Orange OR-120, Fender Deluxe, a Kittyhawk Quattro, a ADA MP-1 Channel, and soon a Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi.

Virtual tube power sections with real tube preamps sound good, are lightweight, and have no no SPL limitations with regards to a crushing the power section into it's sweet-spot.

My Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi supposedly arrives tomorrow, can't wait to give it a go!

Chubtone":g86p19t8 said:
Are there any tricks to trying to record something like this direct for late night recording?

Output from the preamp to your recording interface + impulses should yield pretty decent results; I used to do that with my ENGL E530 preamp

I broke down and ordered the plexi because the blackplate is far better than I could have expected. It does preamp sounds but the afterburner circuit lets you dial in a power amp style post preamp dirt that adds harmonics compression etc and really sounds like a full amp to me. I think with a nice IR direct recordings would be great.

I fund the hiss a bit much at higher gain levels, hoping swapping the EH 12ax7 will help a bit. Thinking about the cv4004.

Anybody else get one of these? The lack of reviews isn't promising. I should have one when I get home today. Will post a review soon.

Back