NAD: Hiwatt Custom Super-Hi 50 (WITH CLIPS)

FourT6and2

Haven't had a lot of time with it, just plugged in for a bit today.

First, it was a bit of a process dealing with Maxwatt (who is now Hiwatt). All said and done, it took 32 days to get them to take my payment and ship the amp (which was in stock and ready to ship on day 1). Shipping itself was insanely fast at just 3 days from the UK. Lots of back and forth via email (and 4-5 international calls) just to get an accurate price and flesh out the details of how to pay since they don't seem to be set up as a retailer at the moment. This was pre-NAMM. Maybe NAMM had something to do with the hassle. But either way, the amp is here now.

That said...

It was worth it. One of the best high-gain amps I've ever played. It sounds phenomenal. It's mean as hell, it's super tight, it's harmonically rich, and yet it has a sort of bounciness in the midrange that gives it musicality and character. The tone controls behave nicely. Plenty of mids and nothing fizzy or harsh about it—unlike most Marshalls if you EQ them wrong.

It seems like both "channels" are the same. You can just run the gain and masters differently. There's enough gain on tap with the amp running 3 gain stages to cop most hot-rodded Marshall sounds. And then when you kick in the 4th gain stage via the footswitch (not diode clipping), this thing will hang, if not beat, many other high-gainers I've tried.

It's hard to nail down how this thing sounds. But it's kinda like... a modern high-gain Vox AC30 if that makes sense. It has that vocal mid-range quality. I've never played a Hiwatt before, so maybe that's just how they sound. This amp is supposed to be a modified DR504 after all.

I need to spend more time with it before making a clip. But I like it a lot so far. Definitely a keeper.

untitled_by_haftelm_dcz8gnt-fullview.jpg

untitled_by_haftelm_dcz8djr-fullview.jpg

It looks awesome.....thanks for the pics of the underside.....do you have pics of the top side...tubes...transformers?

Nice! Glad someone here took the plunge.
I may pm you for some details, been gassing hard for one of these for a while.
Enjoy that beast! Not many in the states with one I’m sure.
So maxwatt is done correct? Just Hiwatt now?

Yeah Maxwatt is done. Been chatting with Josh of Cattle Decapitation. He’s using one live and seems to be LOVING it.

Wow, congrats! That's one amp i was really curious about when i saw clips at NAMM. Waiting for your clips!

Intronaut":31qzgj93 said:
Congrats bro!! Super jealous. How does it compare to your hg Jose you built. Can’t wait for clips. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Very different from my last build. This amp has a distinct voicing not found in any Marshall-style amp I've played. Maybe closer to the Ultralead side of the scale.

the4thlast1":38s95bcc said:
So whats the price on these ?

I paid $3500 shipped. Then whatever tax California makes me pay. I'm sure I'll get a letter from the franchise tax board.

psychodave":38s95bcc said:
Cool stuff.

How is the loop?

Loop is good. No tone suck.

FourT6and2":2skin90h said:
Intronaut":2skin90h said:
Congrats bro!! Super jealous. How does it compare to your hg Jose you built. Can’t wait for clips. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Very different from my last build. This amp has a distinct voicing not found in any Marshall-style amp I've played. Maybe closer to the Ultralead side of the scale.

Amps like the Ultra Lead are right up my ally. Now I'm more interested.

How would you compare it to the second mode of the lead channel of the Gemini (light blue) - this is the mode (my favorite on the amp) that I thought was closest to the way I like to run my UL...tighter and dryer.

mhenson42":6wzh2rdt said:
Amps like the Ultra Lead are right up my ally. Now I'm more interested.

How would you compare it to the second mode of the lead channel of the Gemini (light blue) - this is the mode (my favorite on the amp) that I thought was closest to the way I like to run my UL...tighter and dryer.

Still very different from the Gemini, which IMO is in the SLO/Recto camp, but can be dialed in dryer and chewier I guess.

exo-metal":6wzh2rdt said:
What are the fx on top of the amp?

A couple delay pedals and a flanger.

Back