Slipknot fans

311splawndude

So I just grabbed a ticket to see Knotfest coming up.

I must admit, Slipknot has become a bit of a guilty pleasure as of late. I did not get into them back in their hey day when they were all the rave. Therefore, I've been kind of easing my way into their catalog like an old man into a bath. I do appreciate Jim Root's guitar playing and song writing abilities. Anyway, the ticket was only $32. Yes. Ticket. Singular. None of my friends are into Slipknot so I'm going by myself. I also paid the $15 upgrade for private bar/bathroom/ac as I've done that before and it really comes in handy in the summer with an outdoor venue like this.

Here is where I need help. I don't really know the other bands in Knotfest (sorry) so if anyone can post their favorites or suggestions for these 3 bands that would be great:

Volbeat, Gojira and Behemoth

Also, if you are into Rick Beato's 'What makes this song great' Y/T vids and have not see this, I thought it was good. Or - if you know nothing about Slipknot's music and need help: :D

I may use the rest of this thread to post some of Slipknot's recent interviews and videos. Their latest album 'We Are Not Your Kind' came out this past weekend. I would also like to TALK about the RIGs that Jim and Mick use specifically:

------------
Jim's use of Orange amps and Fender Tele's and Strats (and Jazzmasters)
Mick's use of Rivera amps and Ibanez guitars

Update from Apex1RG7X
Apex1Rg7X":kzqhdoch said:
As far as gear, I currently own the Jim Root Tele which is a fantastic guitar and have had the jazzmaster but didn't care for the shape. He was using Orange amps but I see his sig amp is discontinued and he mentioned in a recent interview that he used 2 separate Bogner Uberschall's to record the new album so I'm not sure on that. Mick is using Jackson guitars now and I'm hoping to pick one up pretty soon. He was a Rivera guy for a long time and had his KR7 amp which I had quite a few years ago. That amp was pretty amazing but liked a lot of volume. Now he is using Powered by Omega amps, both the Iridium and Obsidian

I was into their older stuff. I lost attraction to them at volume 3. They have put some killer stuff out since then, but I love the self titled and Iowa. The live 9.0 album kicks MAJOR ass.

Behemoth is insane. I saw them once a decade ago. I swear they feel like they are above human. Start with "Demigod" and watch the video for conquer all. That gives a good flavor.

Gojira I saw right before they got big. Good performance, not my thing, but it was a good show nonetheless.

Voltbeat, I have no idea. I have a friend who loves them. Personally I can't get into them. The first song that I thought was good was "the devils bleeding crown" but there is something about the tonality I just don't care for. Almost the mix not the tracks, but I have not listened to them on monitors.

I just got a rivera knucklehead tre two hours ago and it's like getting hit by a semi truck. Lol. I dig it. I also have the original knucklehead 100 and love it, but they are different beasts. The tre is monsterous.

I don't know much about the orange that Jim uses, but I love my Rockerverb. Heavy tones can easily be had. I want to demo a Orange Jim Root Terror, but have not come across one.

I played a REALLY nice Mic Thompson ibanez from back in the day and was awestruck.

The Root Teles are great looking (imo) I have seen them in stores but I never felt the urge to pick it up.

This is my favorite Behemoth recording but I don't think they play anything from it nowadays:

This was the first album they did in their current style:

I'd have to say that Slipknot is one of my favorite bands but it is such a weird thing. I started listening to Slipknot when their first album came out and I was about 30 years old. I'm getting close to 50 now. I'm as in to that band now as I've ever been (All Out Life is one of my favorite Slipknot songs).

I was in a band when I was stationed in Nebraska, and our bass player picked me up in his huge ass truck when we were going to check out a place for a gig and he put the self-titled Slipknot CD on and cranked it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing because it was so heavy but in a different way. It was like listening to a horror movie. He told me how they were from Iowa which was the state right next to us, and I was trying to figure out how the hell a record company even found them.

Ever since that album, I was hooked. The crazy part is that at my age, they are a pretty heavy band to be in to. I also was from the school of 80s hair metal and thrash, etc. and they were a whole different animal. From time to time there are bands outside of the stuff I normally am into (Metallica, Zeppelin, Motley, etc.) that just hook me.

Have a great time at the show man!! Who knows, I might get to see them one of these days. As far as the bands go, I only listen to Volbeat. They are a great band and from Denmark I believe. They have some great catchy songs. I like "Seal the Deal" and "Bleeding Crown". You should give them a listen. I know people like the other two bands but I just haven't heard much from them myself.

0:46 to 0:52 has always been one of my favorite parts of any of their songs. This song is what I would listen to if I was an NFL player right before hitting the field. LOL

The album before "We Are Not Your Kind", "The Grey Chapter", has some great stuff on it. I still wish "All Out Life" was on the latest album but they released it as a single.

Had the first album when it came out and have been there since the beginning; I was listening to the new album when I found this post just now. I think I've seen Slipknot four times. I'm a huge Jim Root fan, I loved his work in Stone Sour (especially Audio Secrecy and the HOGAB albums) as well as Slipknot. I try not to look forward to or have any preconceptions about any new album from any band so I was looking forward to this one but didn't have my hopes up, and I love it.

Have fun at the show, it will be a great time.

Jim has some new EMG signature pickups that should be available really soon. He used them on the new album. Jim and Mick's tone both sound great on this album.

Love Slipknot.
Never seen em live. Could only imagine.
I did see Volbeat live.
Actually went to the show since Anthrax opened.
Anthrax fucking slayed! :rock:
I think I stomached 3? Songs from Volbeat. Left. :LOL: :LOL:
Guess it’s all personal choice.

Could never get into Slipknot other then two or three songs. Mostly their early-mid 2000's era stuff.
Haven't liked any of their new stuff at all over the past number years.

Gojira are just flat-out awesome and will likely steal the show.

Went to the Knotfest Roadshow last week and it was amazing as usual. Behemoth opened the show and was awesome as usual then Gojira was up...I wish they swapped spots with Volbeat and played longer because I enjoy them way more and Volbeat is just not my thing. Slipknot played and tore the place up. There is just something special about seeing that band live that is hard to describe, you just gotta do it.

As far as gear, I currently own the Jim Root Tele which is a fantastic guitar and have had the jazzmaster but didn't care for the shape. He was using Orange amps but I see his sig amp is discontinued and he mentioned in a recent interview that he used 2 separate Bogner Uberschall's to record the new album so I'm not sure on that. Mick is using Jackson guitars now and I'm hoping to pick one up pretty soon. He was a Rivera guy for a long time and had his KR7 amp which I had quite a few years ago. That amp was pretty amazing but liked a lot of volume. Now he is using Powered by Omega amps, both the Iridium and Obsidian.

swamptrashstompboxes":2cnwjiu3 said:
I was into their older stuff. I lost attraction to them at volume 3. They have put some killer stuff out since then, but I love the self titled and Iowa. The live 9.0 album kicks MAJOR ass.

Behemoth is insane. I saw them once a decade ago. I swear they feel like they are above human. Start with "Demigod" and watch the video for conquer all. That gives a good flavor.

Gojira I saw right before they got big. Good performance, not my thing, but it was a good show nonetheless.

Voltbeat, I have no idea. I have a friend who loves them. Personally I can't get into them. The first song that I thought was good was "the devils bleeding crown" but there is something about the tonality I just don't care for. Almost the mix not the tracks, but I have not listened to them on monitors.

I just got a rivera knucklehead tre two hours ago and it's like getting hit by a semi truck. Lol. I dig it. I also have the original knucklehead 100 and love it, but they are different beasts. The tre is monsterous.

I don't know much about the orange that Jim uses, but I love my Rockerverb. Heavy tones can easily be had. I want to demo a Orange Jim Root Terror, but have not come across one.

I played a REALLY nice Mic Thompson ibanez from back in the day and was awestruck.

The Root Teles are great looking (imo) I have seen them in stores but I never felt the urge to pick it up.

Thanks for those suggestions and Congrats on your Knucklehead Tre. I've heard those are beasts :yes:

Loved Slipknot as a teenager, especially the first album but I never got into anything past Iowa, which was also amazing. I started getting into the Scandinavian stuff around that time- Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork etc. But I’ve always been a fan of all of Corey’s work including Stone Sour.

Gojira and Behemoth are of course amazing, and although I don’t prefer Volbeat, they are still a lot better than the “rock” you hear on the radio IMO. A few of my friends like them a lot.

For Gojira, check out L’enfant Sauvage and for Behemoth check out Demigod and The Satanist.

godgrinder":2qrode83 said:
This is my favorite Behemoth recording but I don't think they play anything from it nowadays:

This was the first album they did in their current style:

Thanks so much for posting - I will check these out :cheers:

romanianreaper":2qrode83 said:
I'd have to say that Slipknot is one of my favorite bands but it is such a weird thing. I started listening to Slipknot when their first album came out and I was about 30 years old. I'm getting close to 50 now. I'm as in to that band now as I've ever been (All Out Life is one of my favorite Slipknot songs).

I was in a band when I was stationed in Nebraska, and our bass player picked me up in his huge ass truck when we were going to check out a place for a gig and he put the self-titled Slipknot CD on and cranked it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing because it was so heavy but in a different way. It was like listening to a horror movie. He told me how they were from Iowa which was the state right next to us, and I was trying to figure out how the hell a record company even found them.

Ever since that album, I was hooked. The crazy part is that at my age, they are a pretty heavy band to be in to. I also was from the school of 80s hair metal and thrash, etc. and they were a whole different animal. From time to time there are bands outside of the stuff I normally am into (Metallica, Zeppelin, Motley, etc.) that just hook me.

Have a great time at the show man!! Who knows, I might get to see them one of these days. As far as the bands go, I only listen to Volbeat. They are a great band and from Denmark I believe. They have some great catchy songs. I like "Seal the Deal" and "Bleeding Crown". You should give them a listen. I know people like the other two bands but I just haven't heard much from them myself.

Looks like we have even more in common than I thought :cheers:

Thanks for the Volbeat recs. My family started out on a homestead in NB. One of my favorite bands, 311, is from NB.

I'm an album guy. I tend to go through these phases where I listen to nothing but Van Halen for a week. Then Killswitch for week. Then 311 for a week. Then Ratt. Then Slipknot. Then LZ. Then Korn. Then Boston. Repeat. For example.
:LOL: :LOL:

I don't have the Knot album yet. I need to go get that today and get familiar with these other bands as well. Should be a blast. Thanks again for your posts.

Not much of a Slipknot fan,but the song SNUFF is an all time favorite tune of mine. Corys lyrics and delivery are on masterful display here,much like he did on the Sound City song he did with Dave Grohl.

Not sure what that says about my psyche....

romanianreaper":dnbslcoh said:

0:46 to 0:52 has always been one of my favorite parts of any of their songs. This song is what I would listen to if I was an NFL player right before hitting the field. LOL

The album before "We Are Not Your Kind", "The Grey Chapter", has some great stuff on it. I still wish "All Out Life" was on the latest album but they released it as a single.

Do you mean at :54 at the pre verse break down? :46 is just drum fill. But yeah - great song.

My favs off ".5 Gray Chapter" are: Nomadic, The Negative One, AOV and Devil in I. Pretty much in that order.

Hoping to pick up 'We Are Not Your Kind' today. The songs I've heard so far are good.

GregM":dnbslcoh said:
Had the first album when it came out and have been there since the beginning; I was listening to the new album when I found this post just now. I think I've seen Slipknot four times. I'm a huge Jim Root fan, I loved his work in Stone Sour (especially Audio Secrecy and the HOGAB albums) as well as Slipknot. I try not to look forward to or have any preconceptions about any new album from any band so I was looking forward to this one but didn't have my hopes up, and I love it.

Have fun at the show, it will be a great time.

Jim has some new EMG signature pickups that should be available really soon. He used them on the new album. Jim and Mick's tone both sound great on this album.

Apex1Rg7X":dnbslcoh said:
Went to the Knotfest Roadshow last week and it was amazing as usual. Behemoth opened the show and was awesome as usual then Gojira was up...I wish they swapped spots with Volbeat and played longer because I enjoy them way more and Volbeat is just not my thing. Slipknot played and tore the place up. There is just something special about seeing that band live that is hard to describe, you just gotta do it.

As far as gear, I currently own the Jim Root Tele which is a fantastic guitar and have had the jazzmaster but didn't care for the shape. He was using Orange amps but I see his sig amp is discontinued and he mentioned in a recent interview that he used 2 separate Bogner Uberschall's to record the new album so I'm not sure on that. Mick is using Jackson guitars now and I'm hoping to pick one up pretty soon. He was a Rivera guy for a long time and had his KR7 amp which I had quite a few years ago. That amp was pretty amazing but liked a lot of volume. Now he is using Powered by Omega amps, both the Iridium and Obsidian.

Thank you for the detail and updated RIG info. Didn't know Jim moved to Ubers. If you have it handy - I'd love to read that interview.
Cheers :cheers:

My suggestions for albums from each of those bands to listen to for immediate gratification

Volbeat - Shady Ladies and Outlaw Gentlemen
Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage
Behemoth - The Satanist

All are masterpieces, imo and give you a great idea of what to expect!

tfridgen":33cduauq said:
My suggestions for albums from each of those bands to listen to for immediate gratification

Volbeat - Shady Ladies and Outlaw Gentlemen
Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage
Behemoth - The Satanist

All are masterpieces, imo and give you a great idea of what to expect!

Thank you for that! I want to get the most for my $32 and never hurts to expand the pallet right?

I recently ran through the recent releases in Hard Rock/Metal on Amazon streaming:

A lot of it was, at best, ok. Dragonforce was super impressive technical skills- high level guitars that sounded like space pinball (but no memorable hooks). Not my kind of vox.
Sabaton was kind of ... weird ?
As I Lay Dying was better, but not great....I also thought that about another band than realized it was KSE. Wow, that was a huge downer, I liked their previous work a whole lot more.
Korn was better than previous pop Korn offerings, but still way too tame/smooth and nothing like the angst of their earlier discs.

Bottom line, when Slipknot came on it was a whole other level. They are soooo much better than anything else out there in the genre. The new stuff is killer!

Back