NPD: Furman PQ-3

braintheory

I’ve actually had this for months now and am super impressed with it! I’ve owned over 100 different pedals over the years for boosts, even though this is technically not a pedal. I’ve pretty much tried them all (including the ones that get mentioned on here) and have always had between 8-12 at a time since they’d each have something different to offer, but since getting this PQ-3, it’s sent everything I’ve had packing except for just my original klon centaur, Chandler Limited Germanium Drive, coppersound broadway and Darkglass B7K Ultra. Other than those pedals, it not only could match, but even outdo all the other pedals I had before at their own things. Many of them almost sounded like toys in comparison. The Furman has this inherent warmth to it that older equipment tends to have and obviously has so many different sounds to offer with all its knobs. There’s a learning curve to dialing it in, but once I got a feel for it, it started sending those other pedal packing pretty fast.

It can be dialed in to be tighter than anything I’ve had including the vfe standout, while sounding bigger, warmer and just better or it can just as easily do the opposite and get a huge, thick sound that beat out my lazy j cruiser and many other sounds including very midrangey ones like a tube screamer. It’s very versatile and that’s why I only have now those few other boost pedals I mentioned. If it had a Germanium mode it could’ve possibly dethroned some of my other keepers as well

I’ve heard some guys complain that these are too noisy, but if you set it more moderately (like not boosting any frequency a ton or have the output super high) it’s not too bad imo, but I’m admittedly not as fussy about that as some can be. It can though get some pretty awesome and radical sounds with certain extreme settings and yes it will be crazy noisy in that scenario, but more moderate settings was enough for it to capture and outdo what I liked about the pedals it’s dethroned for me. Obviously, this unit won’t be practical for everyone, but for pure quality of tone it’s one of the best boosts I’ve tried along with my other keepers

For what it’s worth, I’ve sold my 2 standouts, Timmy V1, Buxom Boost, Golden Pearl, Spaceman Mercury IV, Ethos TLE, Lazy J Cruiser and 1981 Inventions DRV since getting this. I just got a 2nd one at a great price, so now I have a backup. I’m curious now to compare this to an old TC Electronic 1140 if I get the chance, although one of my friends who’s had both said it didn’t have the warmth or character of the Furman, but it was a bit clearer, more hi-fi sounding, but more clinical sounding. Curious to find out for myself. He has pretty good ears

braintheory":3j653i4c said:
I’ve actually had this for months now and am super impressed with it! I’ve owned over 100 different pedals over the years for boosts, even though this is technically not a pedal. I’ve pretty much tried them all (including the ones that get mentioned on here) and have always had between 8-12 at a time since they’d each have something different to offer, but since getting this PQ-3, it’s sent everything I’ve had packing except for just my original klon centaur, Chandler Limited Germanium Drive, coppersound broadway and Darkglass B7K Ultra. Other than those pedals, it not only could match, but even outdo all the other pedals I had before at their own things. Many of them almost sounded like toys in comparison. The Furman has this inherent warmth to it that older equipment tends to have and obviously has so many different sounds to offer with all its knobs. There’s a learning curve to dialing it in, but once I got a feel for it, it started sending those other pedal packing pretty fast.

It can be dialed in to be tighter than anything I’ve had including the vfe standout, while sounding bigger, warmer and just better or it can just as easily do the opposite and get a huge, thick sound that beat out my lazy j cruiser and many other sounds including very midrangey ones like a tube screamer. It’s very versatile and that’s why I only have now those few other boost pedals I mentioned. If it had a Germanium mode it could’ve possibly dethroned some of my other keepers as well

I’ve heard some guys complain that these are too noisy, but if you set it more moderately (like not boosting any frequency a ton or have the output super high) it’s not too bad imo, but I’m admittedly not as fussy about that as some can be. It can though get some pretty awesome and radical sounds with certain extreme settings and yes it will be crazy noisy in that scenario, but more moderate settings was enough for it to capture and outdo what I liked about the pedals it’s dethroned for me. Obviously, this unit won’t be practical for everyone, but for pure quality of tone it’s one of the best boosts I’ve tried along with my other keepers

For what it’s worth, I’ve sold my 2 standouts, Timmy V1, Buxom Boost, Golden Pearl, Spaceman Mercury IV, Ethos TLE, Lazy J Cruiser and 1981 Inventions DRV since getting this. I just got a 2nd one at a great price, so now I have a backup. I’m curious now to compare this to an old TC Electronic 1140 if I get the chance, although one of my friends who’s had both said it didn’t have the warmth or character of the Furman, but it was a bit clearer, more hi-fi sounding, but more clinical sounding. Curious to find out for myself. He has pretty good ears
:rock:
Picked up an original green/silver knob version, from the 70s I think....everything Braintheory said is SPOT ON. What a truly amazing boost this is in front of my 2204. I don't feel it's any noisier than my MIJ SD1..in fact how I have it set it's quieter. 2204 High input, gain at 8 and with moderate settings on the Furman it's a flamethrower. All the gain anyone would need IMO...when you dime it it becomes unusable with that much gain. But I can see why the pros used these back in the day...no need to mod your marshall for 80s hard rock tone with this EQ. It's all in there, and it adds something to the feel which is unexpected. Way more touch sensitive IMO with the Furman. I'd have saved a ton of cash if I had only bought one of these years ago.
Any of you that are curious about this PQ3, pick one up if you have the chance. Just awesome.
Best piece of gear I've bought in a LONG time.
:thumbsup:

Fantastic units.

I’ve used one, on and off, either as a boost or EQ in the loop for years.

For the last 5 years or so, I’ve had a PQ6 (2 PQ3’s in a 2 space rack unit) that allows me to use one in front and one in the loop.

My go to is still a MXR 10 band in the loop and a Mason OD808 up front, but the PQ3/6 have a definite place in my arsenal :rock: :rock:

T

lespaul6":3qvwclvp said:
If they reissued these in a pedal format it would be incredible...
Yep, if someone could figure out how to equal this PQ3 in a pedal format, it'd be the only pedal anyone would need for a boost IMO. Crazy good and the feel is just amazing. Didn't expect that; holiday bonus!

Racerxrated":2qswva8h said:
lespaul6":2qswva8h said:
Yep, if someone could figure out how to equal this PQ3 in a pedal format, it'd be the only pedal anyone would need for a boost IMO. Crazy good and the feel is just amazing. Didn't expect that; holiday bonus!

Happy Thanksgiving brother!

lespaul6":3q73rz2h said:
Racerxrated":3q73rz2h said:
lespaul6":3q73rz2h said:

Happy Thanksgiving brother!
You too Martin!

Racerxrated":35dbub02 said:
lespaul6":35dbub02 said:

I have a BYOC Parametric EQ. I don't know how close it is design-wise, but similar features to the old Furman PQ-3.

I had a black/red Furman like 20 years ago, lol. Definitely one of those units I wish I would have kept!

lespaul6":1hx7gkmm said:

I've never used the Furman PQ-3 parametric EQ on any of my amp heads that I own ( Egnater modded Rocktron Vendetta 100 watt amp head, Stiff 90-AD 50 watt amp head, and a Krank Nineteen80 Jr. 20 watt amp head) since I'm fortunate to have either a density knob ( Rocktron amp only) or sweep knob (Krank or Stiff amp only) on my amps, but am intrigued & amazed by a lot of the hard rock or metal guitarists especially from the '80s that used it either live or on records.

I was looking at the Majik Box Rocket Fuel pedal designed by Doug Aldrich as a Furman PQ-3/boost built into one pedal. This looks like it would be a good pedal version of the Furman PQ-3 parametric EQ rack. Does anyone have any experience or has owned the Rocket Fuel pedal?

Guitar George

Hamer95USA":37su8vs9 said:
lespaul6":37su8vs9 said:

I've never used the Furman PQ-3 parametric EQ on any of my amp heads that I own ( Egnater modded Rocktron Vendetta 100 watt amp head, Stiff 90-AD 50 watt amp head, and a Krank Nineteen80 Jr. 20 watt amp head) since I'm fortunate to have either a density knob ( Rocktron amp only) or sweep knob (Krank or Stiff amp only) on my amps, but am intrigued & amazed by a lot of the hard rock or metal guitarists especially from the '80s that used it either live or on records.

I was looking at the Majik Box Rocket Fuel pedal designed by Doug Aldrich as a Furman PQ-3/boost built into one pedal. This looks like it would be a good pedal version of the Furman PQ-3 parametric EQ rack. Does anyone have any experience or has owned the Rocket Fuel pedal?

Guitar George
Yeah I had one for a bit. I remember it being decent, but not amazing and preferred other pedals I had at the time. The Furman would easily smoke it

I ordered an old Boss PQ-4. Curious how that’ll compare

The Empress ParaEQ was also nowhere near as good

With the Furman or TC 1140, it’s not just about the eq. They have a very organic sound that can enhance your tone even if you have everything at noon. My guess as to why they sound so good is because they’re vintage units.

I find with pedals even more than amps, that the newer pedals just sound filtered/sterile and just uninspiring when compared directly to a similar vintage one. Maybe it’s the older components? Not sure, but to my ears they always sound a lot better

Also, I see Racerxrated’s version is the green/silver. The 2 I have are both the red/black version. Does anyone here know if they’re supposed to sound different from each other?

braintheory":1k3w9x51 said:
Hamer95USA":1k3w9x51 said:
lespaul6":1k3w9x51 said:

Guitar George
Yeah I had one for a bit. I remember it being decent, but not amazing and preferred other pedals I had at the time. The Furman would easily smoke it

I ordered an old Boss PQ-4. Curious how that’ll compare

The Empress ParaEQ was also nowhere near as good

With the Furman or TC 1140, it’s not just about the eq. They have a very organic sound that can enhance your tone even if you have everything at noon. My guess as to why they sound so good is because they’re vintage units.

I find with pedals even more than amps, that the newer pedals just sound filtered/sterile and just uninspiring when compared directly to a similar vintage one. Maybe it’s the older components? Not sure, but to my ears they always sound a lot better
I agree, I think it's similar to any vintage amp, tube or other that just sounds so good, and no matter how hard anyone tries the original still had mojo that can't be duplicated.

This PQ3 does something that no other pedal or EQ I've tried can do..it actually sounds like an instant "mod" to your amp. It blends with it, instead of adding and changing the 'width' or 'narrowing' the tone. Now, after messing with it this am I have gotten some 'hum' out of it but that's only with diming the master gain and mid gain. If I dial them both back to 3PM it's still gainy but not that noisy at all. Only pedal that's quieter is my OD1X, which is super quiet. Honestly I have this in front of my 2204 and it's as good or close to any modded Marshall I've had, and it feels like the touch sensitivity of my last Wizard MCI 100w. I have the low set nice and tight, mids gained out a bit and the highs all at noon and it's almost the perfect modded Marshall tone.

braintheory":1bavckbk said:
Also, I see Racerxrated’s version is the green/silver. The 2 I have are both the red/black version. Does anyone here know if they’re supposed to sound different from each other?
This one has a serial of 0778. I know they reissued these in this green/silver format but they had a front input, and an LED clip readout. I've searched but haven't found anything about one being better than the other.

I'm definitely interested in the TC 1140; and I've also read about the Audioarts EQs, that they are also in the same league as the TC. But the Furman gives a warmth to the tone that is great with a Marshall..Over the weekend I'm gonna run it in front of the C+ and see how killer that will be..

Racerxrated":29il8w15 said:
lespaul6":29il8w15 said:

Dave Friedman asked years ago if any of us would be interested in a PQ3 in a pedal and everyone was super eager. I'm sure it sort of got dropped soon after as he has tons of other products that fly off the shelves.

That said, that EQ is the sound of the 80's. Lots of great classic tones were that EQ pushing Marshalls. I think in pedal format, the Boss PQ4 is the closest bet. Plenty of those available out of Japan on ebay. I may try one out.

Racerxrated":1y7mjnlt said:
braintheory":1y7mjnlt said:
This one has a serial of 0778. I know they reissued these in this green/silver format but they had a front input, and an LED clip readout. I've searched but haven't found anything about one being better than the other.

I'm definitely interested in the TC 1140; and I've also read about the Audioarts EQs, that they are also in the same league as the TC. But the Furman gives a warmth to the tone that is great with a Marshall..Over the weekend I'm gonna run it in front of the C+ and see how killer that will be..
Yes Audioarts is on my radar now. I remember you said 4100 is the model to look into

The Furman is a perfect combo with the iic+. I compared the PQ-3 and 1140 again last night briefly through my iic+ since it’s been a while. The Furman had to my ears a little more warmth and juiciness in the mids, a bit smoother and more compressed, and a little easier to dial in

The 1140 was more open, clear, and can get grittier/more growly, which I like. It’s a bit harder/less forgiving to dial in, but not bad once you get a feel for it. Both are worth having imo

It doesn’t matter, Furman, Audio Arts, TC, Hell, even Rane etc all made a “clone” of the Furman, some have 3 bands, some 4, but they all work the same and sound the same. Ibanez had a parametric in their 9 series pedal format that’s blue, cool, but not as cool as the rack units. Instant 80s metal tone. Ratt, Dokken, Stryper, Night Ranger, Icon, etc...

Back