Peavey 5150 / 6505 relevance

RaceU4her":mxuyhqgx said:
yeah i thought there was no difference in any of the the versions

The 5150 and 6505 are the same but the 5150 II and the 6505+ while the pair also being identical are different.

I gotta say that if I go with another Peavey 5150,etc. I will go all in and drop in some real iron and mod the bias so it doesn't run cold. I have never owned a Peavey with big iron, but I have played one. Massive difference, totally more pissed off tone to it and the bottom is stronger. I don't remember what FJA did, but I heard great clips, but never heard/played one in the wild.

swamptrashstompboxes":13ka2x31 said:
I gotta say that if I go with another Peavey 5150,etc. I will go all in and drop in some real iron and mod the bias so it doesn't run cold. I have never owned a Peavey with big iron, but I have played one. Massive difference, totally more pissed off tone to it and the bottom is stronger. I don't remember what FJA did, but I heard great clips, but never heard/played one in the wild.

I have an FJA modded 5150 and while it's the best sounding 5150 I've heard or owned, I'm sure it has a lot less to do with iron and a lot more to do with circuit or component tweaks.

As far as relevance, in the circle I run in, they're still very relevant. So much so that I spent the last 6 years tone chasing through different amps, hoping to find something I love more than my good ol stock 6505 and xxx. Still to this day, they are 2 of my favorite amps and I'd be happy to play any gig with them.

They're just inherently good at what they do, and they record extremely well to boot. They're a great tool for all sorts of metal, and even if the actual amps themselves aren't always used, you know their profiles or sims will be.

FJA moved to my town and posted that once he got settled he was going to start up again but that was probably 10 months ago so who knows. It would be nice to have someone local to mod stuff.

UberschallEL34":1l0yhggg said:
I don't think the block letter thing is all that big a deal, whether it's the 5150 or 5150 II, 6505 etc, with decent tubes the amps will hang with the best of them. I picked up a USA made 6505+ recently in almost mint condition - it does what it was made to do, ball crushing high gain tones - it's still relevant.
This...Exactly right!

swamptrashstompboxes":1nrxhvrk said:
I gotta say that if I go with another Peavey 5150,etc. I will go all in and drop in some real iron and mod the bias so it doesn't run cold.
Dude! I think you're on to something here. We wouldn't want any to mistakenly voyage into any crossover distortion.

If anything, the 5150 is being replaced by modelers. Look up some Rig Rundowns, and you'll see that nowadays almost every touring metal band uses either a Kemper or some 5150 variant. However, if you're not interested in the modeler scene, the 5150 punches way above it's weight class. As long as it's still the best high gain head you can get for the price, I can't see it being dethroned or being made irrelevant by any other head.

I definitely see less 5150s with young metal/hardcore bands right now than I did in the 2000s. It used to be the standard, but it’s not now, although still common. It’s still all over recordings though.

Watching the Monday night football halftime show, some country dude is playing two 6505+ halfstacks lol

After selling my original Peavey 5150 in search of a different tone, I gave in and bought another one. My search made me realise that I already had the sound I wanted.

Plug in a Maxon od808 and a V30 loaded cab and you are set. It also loves an EQ in the fx loop if you are in that way inclined.

Man the 5150/6505 is one hell of a classic amp! Everyone should have one; its also a lot more versatile than its given credit for! And u rally dont bavs to pay more for a block letter 5150; a 6505 is the same.

metal_master":2naiuc30 said:
After selling my original Peavey 5150 in search of a different tone, I gave in and bought another one. My search made me realise that I already had the sound I wanted.

Plug in a Maxon od808 and a V30 loaded cab and you are set. It also loves an EQ in the fx loop if you are in that way inclined.

Yeah... I am definitely an eq in loop player. Recently grabbed a paraeq, but still go back to my trusty old MXR 10 band. I'll try several ODs. V30s are next on my list.

swamptrashstompboxes":2xi9fojb said:
RaceU4her":2xi9fojb said:
yeah i thought there was no difference in any of the the versions

The 5150 and 6505 are the same but the 5150 II and the 6505+ while the pair also being identical are different.

Identical circuit different cosmetics.

Back