Peavey 5150 / 6505 relevance

skullfxr

I ditched my 5150 block letter a few years ago for a decent profit. Five years ago they were a must have for any rock/metal guy. Do you feel that they with the onslot of new amps that have came out they are as relevant as they were?

Debating grabbing one for a reasonable price, but my money may be better off elsewhere. I have quite a few decent amps, and I am not sure if I NEED one again. And tbh I don't need to have another amp sitting around that isn't either something great OR necessary to sustain life in the swamp. I would probably go for a GH100L as an alternative (but obviously different than the 5150).

5150/II’s have been on and continue to be on classic records for almost 30 years, they are always going to be relevant

RaceU4her":2cvox6a7 said:
5150/II’s have been on and continue to be on classic records for almost 30 years, they are always going to be relevant

I agree with that for sure, but it seems like i am see alternatives coming out and being favored over the 5150.

15-20 years ago a lot of the big names weren't there, or at least as popular. ie Friedman which seems to be the fan favorite here (however obviously not in the same market tone or price range). Fortin was small, IIRC Orange wasn't there for some of those years, Scott Splawn and a lot of the other guys were still modding Marshalls. Just thinking out loud.

If you've done any research in the last couple years, you'll see that prices on 5150s specifically ( not so much the 6505 for some reason ) have skyrocketed for the most part... block letters selling for upwards of $700-800 frequently.

JHowell13":scwsququ said:
If you've done any research in the last couple years, you'll see that prices on 5150s specifically ( not so much the 6505 for some reason ) have skyrocketed for the most part... block letters selling for upwards of $700-800 frequently.

I sold my block letter for $700 when I sold mine. The 6505's can be found for $400-450 any day. I think it's the EVH significance is driving the BL's up.

swamptrashstompboxes":3uqt2snz said:
RaceU4her":3uqt2snz said:

I agree with that for sure, but it seems like i am see alternatives coming out and being favored over the 5150.

15-20 years ago a lot of the big names weren't there, or at least as popular. ie Friedman which seems to be the fan favorite here (however obviously not in the same market tone or price range). Fortin was small, IIRC Orange wasn't there for some of those years, Scott Splawn and a lot of the other guys were still modding Marshalls. Just thinking out loud.

while fortin, friedman, wizard ect are popular around here i dont know many touring metal bands that can afford or risk taking a $4k amp out on the road. 5150s, marshalls, rectos are affordable and can be fixed or replaced in anytown USA on the road which is a big reason they are so popular. ive honestly never seen a wizard, fortin or splawn out in the wild. the only thing i see really different from 15 years ago is the 5153 and of course the axe/kemper/helix.

I sold my block letter 5150 for $2000 in search of a different sound. I decided on a Mesa Dual Rec. Big mistake. Spent the next year tweaking rather than playing. Also trialed a few 5150 iii in stores. Both amps were hollow in the midrange. Recto too boomy/muddy, 5153 was to shrill/bright. Ended up buying another Peavey block letter and couldnt be happier. Just plug in, dial in and play. It cuts through the mix with a nice fat and punchy metal sound. I find this amp to unleash the most evil palm mutes that hit you in the chest.

I had a 6505+ and I sold mine for 600 to get a Kemper a few years ago. I wish I would have kept it. I keep thinking about getting another one just to have. I would like to get a Mesa Mark series as well. I think all of my tonal needs could be had for a 6505, my Marshall, and Mesa Mark then maybe something in the Orange family. I've heard someone say that a lot of albums end up using a 5150/6505 on them over the high end amps that the artist typically uses.

D-Rock":1ymz5ykj said:
$2000? Where do you live? Estonia?
No. I live in Australia.
People were paying big money for the original block letter 10 years ago. I bought a used Peavey 5150 script (non block letter) for $900 recently.

I have a JJ-100 and a Rockerverb MKII next to it and I still consider my 6505 the best $500 I've spent on gear.

Original owner of a made in USA 6505+. It’s kept amp GAS in check for many years. I recently acquired the Marshall to do the modded Marshall thing. Between the two, I don’t see needing another large wattage amp. I loved my 6505+ so much that I got the lunchbox version of it and play it the most these days as a practice amp. I can’t say I really want or need anything else - between these two all of my high gain bases are covered. I’ve been thinking of a tweed twin for cleans as a possible future project?

RaceU4her":3kr5y6gs said:
. . . i dont know many touring metal bands that can afford or risk taking a $4k amp out on the road. 5150s, marshalls, rectos are affordable and can be fixed or replaced in anytown USA on the road which is a big reason they are so popular.
Key point! Plus, folks at a good rock gig just wanna get happy and get rocked, they could care less about your rig.

I've got my two Diezel EL34 Herbert's that never leave my studio and a PV 6505+ that rocks and rides hard with me everywhere else - great rock amp.

metal_master":3ti5fuy3 said:
D-Rock":3ti5fuy3 said:
No. I live in Australia.
People were paying big money for the original block letter 10 years ago. I bought a used Peavey 5150 script (non block letter) for $900 recently.
The block letter thing always cracked me up.....I've had block letter and script logo heads open on the workbench together at the same time....
They are EXACTLY THE SAME :doh: :doh: :doh:
Sound exactly the same too...as long as the power tubes are the same.
The block letter's shipped with Sylvania 6L6's until Peavey ran out their stash.
The switch to the script logo just happened to coincide with the end of the Sylvania's.
And the legend is born....
Great amp for the $$$ for sure :rock:
But needs to be loud to get the goods....
=C= 6L6's help a lot if ya don't have any Sylvania's kickin' around.
TADS's aren't bad either.
I've still got a script logo around here somewhere, but there are a lot of amps that sound way better at the volumes most of us are using these days (unless you're an arena act :LOL: :LOL: )
YMMV

fusedbrain":3gx7k5yg said:
metal_master":3gx7k5yg said:
D-Rock":3gx7k5yg said:
No. I live in Australia.
The block letter thing always cracked me up.....I've had block letter and script logo heads open on the workbench together at the same time....
They are EXACTLY THE SAME :doh: :doh: :doh:
Sound exactly the same too...as long as the power tubes are the same.
The block letter's shipped with Sylvania 6L6's until Peavey ran out their stash.
The switch to the script logo just happened to coincide with the end of the Sylvania's.
And the legend is born....
Great amp for the $$$ for sure :rock:
But needs to be loud to get the goods....
=C= 6L6's help a lot if ya don't have any Sylvania's kickin' around.
TADS's aren't bad either.
I've still got a script logo around here somewhere, but there are a lot of amps that sound way better at the volumes most of us are using these days (unless you're an arena act :LOL: :LOL: )
YMMV
Yes both block and script letter sound the same to me too.
I bring the volume down via the effects loops and crack the amp volume to 3 or 4 which is the sweet spot. That gets the tubes cooking at bedroom volume!

Never tried Winged C tubes in the peavey. I did try them in a Dual Rectifier and preferred a pair of them mixed with a pair of stock Ruby 6l6gc-mstr. The Ruby's bring the top and bottom end and the Winged Cs fill in the midrange. I like the fuller upper and lower mids of the Cs, no other current production 6l6 has that. A quad of winged C's sounded a bit muddy to me though. It was the point of too much overall mid emphasis and roll off on the top end.

metal_master":3qxephk0 said:
Ended up buying another Peavey block letter and couldnt be happier. Just plug in, dial in and play. It cuts through the mix with a nice fat and punchy metal sound.
Exactly what I wanted to say, mate.

IMHO it'll always be "relevant" to the recording engineer and those who aren't obsessed with flapping their pants at home with subwoofer-style low end (MESA, I'm looking at YOU).

To my ears they sound tight and focussed in the mid range, which is key for getting mix cut-though. There's a sense of immediacy when playing 'em too, probably because of the mid-range punch.

Personally, I'd go for the Laney. Boosted, it'll get just as aggressive as a 5150, and more dynamic. That's a seriously underrated amp. I've owned 4 of them, they are stupid good when you wind them up. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

RaceU4her":3ojmfx5j said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3ojmfx5j said:
RaceU4her":3ojmfx5j said:

while fortin, friedman, wizard ect are popular around here i dont know many touring metal bands that can afford or risk taking a $4k amp out on the road. 5150s, marshalls, rectos are affordable and can be fixed or replaced in anytown USA on the road which is a big reason they are so popular. ive honestly never seen a wizard, fortin or splawn out in the wild. the only thing i see really different from 15 years ago is the 5153 and of course the axe/kemper/helix.

I totally agree with that 100%. But for my scenario I have my gigging amps around and this would be the studio. If I get a good gig, it's a Rockerverb or if not my mesa nomad 100 2x12 as it does what I need in a convenient package.

But yeah my nicer stuff rarely comes out. I did used to gig my Splawn promod back in the day and didn't feel bad, but I was never touring.

I don't think the block letter thing is all that big a deal, whether it's the 5150 or 5150 II, 6505 etc, with decent tubes the amps will hang with the best of them. I picked up a USA made 6505+ recently in almost mint condition - it does what it was made to do, ball crushing high gain tones - it's still relevant.

Back