The Monomyth thread

ClintN667":3bul7vkx said:
Hey Exo did you get yours yet? Any thoughts?

I just grabbed an SM57 from a friend for 20 bucks that should be here tomorrow. Im going to try to get a mic'd cab recording of mine. Granted mine is a tweaked Ceriatone instead of a Marshall 2204 but I didnt think Reza's clips did what I experience with mine. Not that I didnt enjoy his clips I just prefer what Im hearing in the room more.
exo-metal, how's your modded SuperBass?

IME, used SM57s can be a bit of a crapshoot. They're pretty durable but who knows how many times it's been dropped or who knows what else. I've compared several I had at one time and 2 of 5 sounded very different than the other 3; and one sounded noticeably best of the good 3. lol, I marked that one for me.

I bought the mic from a friend who barely used it if at all. It was pretty much mint. I have my cab mic'd up today and I'm experimenting with the placement. Unfortunately my wife is feeling rough so I have limited time to play. I'm hoping it's not corona :(

I saw that Reverb ad -- what's with this line?

"He is no longer modding as he is launching his own line."

I saw no indication of that before, only that he was modding->listing, rather than taking orders. What's the truth?

narad":kf10p2y5 said:

I saw no indication of that before, only that he was modding->listing, rather than taking orders. What's the truth?
I can already imagine Monomyths being in stock @ Thomann. :D

narad":m08zctsw said:

Shea said he’s not taking on anymore mods at the moment because he had to devote more time to his day job due to the corona outbreak. Never heard anything about his own amp line though.

LP Freak":4pslpede said:
narad":4pslpede said:

Shea said he’s not taking on anymore mods at the moment because he had to devote more time to his day job due to the corona outbreak. Never heard anything about his own amp line though.
This. He is going to source Marshalls, mod them, and sell instead of taking on individual mods.

LP Freak":cogiwt38 said:
That amp sounds great. I used to dislike his demos. Totally professionally done, but I thought that they sounded harsh and brittle. Now I love them. Some of the best out there. Did my ears change or did his recording method/settings change?

Beyond Black":2eg9tua3 said:
LP Freak":2eg9tua3 said:
That amp sounds great. I used to dislike his demos. Totally professionally done, but I thought that they sounded harsh and brittle. Now I love them. Some of the best out there. Did my ears change or did his recording method/settings change?

I'm thinking his recording method varies slightly from vid to vid, as do the cab and guitar he uses. The second Monomyth vid from him I thought had these weird harsh frequencies unlike his first vid (and now this one as well). Slightly different mic placement and how the amp is dialed I guess.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if that was his plan all along? Seems like the sourcing of your own amps (Marshalls in particular) is a bit hit and miss to start. Then, you're modding them to what you want or what you think other people will want. And also having the added stress/work of extra Covid related work - whatever that is.

As opposed to slightly better known peeps here and other forums that 'probably' have a decent Marshall to begin with and then modding their amp to what THEY want and having that satisfaction.

It other words, seems like a risky move :dunno:

But compared to others (not going to name names) it seems Shea was cranking out some killer work at a fairly rapid pace. Mad respect there.

311splawndude":3mzag98o said:
Out of curiosity does anyone know if that was his plan all along? Seems like the sourcing of your own amps (Marshalls in particular) is a bit hit and miss to start. Then, you're modding them to what you want or what you think other people will want. And also having the added stress/work of extra Covid related work - whatever that is.

As opposed to slightly better known peeps here and other forums that 'probably' have a decent Marshall to begin with and then modding their amp to what THEY want and having that satisfaction.

It other words, seems like a risky move :dunno:

But compared to others (not going to name names) it seems Shea was cranking out some killer work at a fairly rapid pace. Mad respect there.
Shea had no problem selling any amp he modded. I bet quite a few were sold before he even finished the mod. In December, I contacted him and asked him if he had anything to sell. He said he would in a week, I told him I’d take it. Didn’t care which mod it was. If you listen to all of his YouTube vids, they ALL sound killer. Mine is a 50 watt. I would have preferred a 100 if I had the choice. But now that I have it, it’s a killing machine, it sounds massive, and isn’t going anywhere. I’m 100% satisfied with it.

He hasn't posted much since the outbreak. He's probably swamped with work and he's doing important work right now.

Stay strong Shea! :rock:

Back